Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #41
Almost There

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner MVP
Engine: CAT3116
Re: Bailey Bus Bunedoggle

Working out details on my electrical system. This is the diagram I have so far:

Here are some of the components I'm looking at:

Battery Combiner:
http://www.magnumenergy.com/SBC.htm

Transfer Switch:
http://www.iotaengineering.com/its50r.htm

For the generator, I'm probably going to find a used one with a Briggs, Tecumseh or Subaru engine and make it a dual fuel propane/gas. Places like this http://www.propane-generators.com/ have kits for standard engines.

I'm thinking I'll build my own solar panels. Looks like you can get the cells on ebay pre-tabbed for 1/3 the price of a new panel, or even less for slightly chipped ones.

I already have a 2500 Watt inverter.

The Good news bus project has been a great source of inspiration lately. Really nice job on that one!! http://www.goodnewsbus.com/
Attached Thumbnails
power_system.jpg  

bunedoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunedoggle
Here you can see my recycled seat frames I used to patch the floor where the lift was. It worked out pretty well. I was planning to put the black water tank here also. Now I'm debating whether to put it on this side or the other side.
The tank can still go here. If it does, I'll weld in a frame to hold whatever tank I end up buying.

When I took out the welder I found that I had left the gas on (DOH!) the solenoid value in the welder leaks so when I leave it on, it empties itself

I swapped in the tank from my beer keg. It's straight CO2 so it's not as nice to weld with as CO2/Argon but it works in a pinch.
Nice re-use of the old seat frames. I've been wondering why everyone just seems to throw them out ASAP. Lots of good, useable metal there. Could be used for building water tank mounts, extensions in roof raises, etc. But it almost always ends up in the landfill immediately...
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #43
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
Lots of good, useable metal there. Could be used for building water tank mounts, extensions in roof raises, etc. But it almost always ends up in the landfill immediately...
Very true. I plan to do just that. The seat frames in my bus are made of nice square stock and plate steel. As soon as I saw the frames I started thinking on what I could use them for I think a nice battery tray is coming soon.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
... For the generator, I'm probably going to find a used one with a Briggs, Tecumseh or Subaru engine and make it a dual fuel propane/gas...
Just make sure you get a quiet one (under 60 db). So sense in having a generator that you have to yell over the whole time it's running.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

Looking good BB! You'll be caught up to me in no time!!
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #46
Almost There

Rainy Saturday today. Just about finished with the first bunks.

My daughter making sure the top bunk is good and solid.

Cutting this panel to fit the ceiling and wall was the biggest challenge so far. Not looking forward to cutting more of them, but there will be more.

Tomorrow I start framing the closet between the bunk and the master bed. I need to secure the side door so I can frame over it. I also need to run some wires before things get too closed in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5626.JPG   IMG_5631.JPG   IMG_5636.JPG  
Old 03-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #47
Bus Nut

LOOKING GREAT!!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3L Diesel

next time i have to cut plywood to fit the roof i'm definitely going to make a pattern with cardboard.....its so hard to get it right
moliskaIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #49
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Hey Bune how did you deal with your side door? I have one as well and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. We were going to put a latch lock in and then cut the big red handle on the inside and try to fit insulation around the handles. We are planning on making it a wall but I want it locked so if someone tries to break in they can't even open the door. What did you guys do? I couldn't see from the pictures.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #50
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolietailgater
Hey Bune how did you deal with your side door? I have one as well and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. We were going to put a latch lock in and then cut the big red handle on the inside and try to fit insulation around the handles. We are planning on making it a wall but I want it locked so if someone tries to break in they can't even open the door. What did you guys do? I couldn't see from the pictures.
Good question Skoolietailgater, I thought about removing the door and building a new wall, but I decided that would be too much work. We decided to weld a bracket on the wall and drill through the door and bolt it closed. The two bolts are at the top and two will go under the bus. The bolts pull the door closed tighter, which I hope will keep it well sealed.

I will frame and insulate over the door, but I plan to leave a separation in the framing so the door COULD open (if I were to unbolt it). At least that the thought, that may change when I get to framing over the door (which will be very soon).

You can see the door bolted shut in this photo:
Attached Thumbnails
wall_and_door.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #51
Almost There

A bit more progress.

The rear heater was right where I wanted to put the fridge, microwave and A/C. I was going to remove the rear heater and plug the lines but my wife convinced me to keep it. There are a lot of good reasons to keep it actually. Like when we go to Florida in February, it'll be cold up here in New England and we'll want heat for the ride. Plus it can serve as backup heat if the propane runs out or something.

Anyway, what I thought would take a few minutes took a few hours. But I moved the heater to under the bottom bunk:
Heater was here:

It's now under here:

I had to move part of the bunk framing over a bit to make way for the heat outlet:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5647.JPG   IMG_5645.JPG   IMG_5648.JPG  
Old 03-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #52
Almost There

Today I framed over the passenger side wall and started the shower framing. My water and holding tanks are on order along with a pump and accumulator tank. So once I have the freshwater tank and pump installed I can finish up the shower.

Some good news too... A while back I mentioned that I saw some really rusted hydraulic lines, which Busbozo pointed out were power steering lines. I'd been worrying about those line for a while now. Today while crawling around under the bus looking for a good place for my batteries, I noticed that those rusty line had already been replaced! They just left them there. The new lines are rubber. Here's a photo of the rusty line coming to a dead end at the front of the bus, YEAH!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5661.JPG   IMG_5651.JPG  
Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #53
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Don't forget an opening to pull air under the bunk to be circulated through the heater. Might not be a bad idea to frame a rack to slide a filter into to help keep things clean since it's pulling air off the floor (if you think it'll see much use).
Great point as usual Smitty. I was thinking just the same thing. In fact I have this idea. The fridge is going right next to the bunk, so I'm thinking a put a vent opening that goes behind the fridge to feed air to the heater. That way the heater is pulling the warm fridge air and blowing it into the bus when it's cold out.

I'm also working on this idea of a "whole bus fan". In our house we don't use air conditioning, only a whole house fan. It works great keeping the the house comfortable at night. So I'm going to try something similar in the bus.

I have an industrial blower similar to this:

I'm thinking I'll put it in a box under the bus which will act as a plenum. Then I can run ducts from the box to various places on the bus (like behind the fridge). Then we just open the windows (screen covered windows) and let the cool air rush in. I'm going to do some experiments with a cardboard box to test the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
blower.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #54
Bus Nut

BB, are you aware that the part of the floor heater that is exposed (facing outward) is the intake side. The heat actually comes out of the other side. Where the fans are. It works the opposite of what you would think. The fans actually suck the cool air through the heater core and throws the hot air out onto the floor.

Where did you get your water pump and accumulator? I about to order mine.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
Hola, Senor Bunedoggle,

Looking at your floorplan, just one thought comes to mind. Most dump stations are set up for RV poo tanks on the left sides of RVs, generally towards the rear of the vehicle. It may possibly complicate things to have the black tank on the right side - will you have dump valves on both sides of the bus?

John
Hmmmm, Didn't really think about it. I guess I could run the dump valve to the other side. I already purchased the shower so that's gotta go on the right. The toilet could still go on either side. I guess the gray water is easier to run a farther distance.

Good point, thanks, I'll have to think about it.
Yes make sure you put it on the left side or you will be in for a royal pain in the arrs!!!!! I should know that is how my bus was put together before i got it.

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #56
Bus Nut

Quote:
Looking at waste tanks. The prices here seem decent: http://www.mobilemart.com/class.aspx?d=05&c=506

I'm thinking 30-40 gallons each for both my black and my gray water tanks.

I'll have 50 gallons of fresh water, I think.

Anyone have a cheaper/better source? What should I know about waste tanks before I drop a few hundred $$?
http://www.plastic-mart.com/?gclid=CP26 ... agodaiF_Ow

Old 03-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #57
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
Couldn't you just install a macerator pump?

$126.99 @ Defender.com
Sure. However I feel this would add unnecessary complexity and expense. Maybe I'll think differently the first time I have to deal with a clogged poop pipe.
You will most likely have the plug in the outlet of the tank, thats where I do.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Quote:
For the generator, I'm probably going to find a used one with a Briggs, Tecumseh or Subaru engine and make it a dual fuel propane/gas. Places like this http://www.propane-generators.com/ have kits for standard engines.
I was searching out portable generators today, as the place I am staying has less reliable power than other areas, and I can use one mobile later. Propane is attractive, as the fuel does not go bad, etc.

I came across this place, a Yamaha factory dealer that sells units already converted to tri-fuel: gasoline, propane or natural gas. Hook up a hose and go!
http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com/ They also apparently do not void the factory warrantee.

The Yamahas inverter units are slightly quieter than the Hondas, and have cast-iron sleeved cylinders for longevity.
It's not in my budget for spring, unless a new clutch for the wife's SUV is cheap, but I'm telling Santa Claus!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #59
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSBOZO
The fans actually suck the cool air through the heater core and throws the hot air out onto the floor.

Where did you get your water pump and accumulator? I about to order mine.
No, I didn't realize that. But being DC motors I image I can reverse the direction.

I ordered the tanks and pump etc from the place Smitty suggested:
http://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/displa ... gory_id=47

I'm not sure the pump was teh absolute best price, but the tanks were the best price I could find.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Yeah, they do have some great deals on tanks. I'm glad you got to that site before ordering from Plastic-mart.

Unsure if you can reverse the direction of the motors. Definately worth looking into though.

Thanks

Dan