Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Re: BanjoBoo

I'm going to use a standard door for my bedroom. I have a pocket door in my house and we hate that thing. Plus, the wall behind the door will be useless. You can't put in drawers or a closet or anything. Then the bumpy ride will jar it off its tracks. You might also look into an accordion style door or just a thick curtain.

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

I got about 400sq feet of kick ass Brazilian Cherry and Walnut Hardwood flooring today for free. And I was going to cheap out and get laminate for $0.88 sq.ft. Now I will have kick ass expensive floors for the best price you can find. My friend is closing her flooring store and gave me the goods. Now it is 2 different typs of wood but I don't mind. This stuff sells for $12.99 sq.ft.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #23
Bus Nut

nice! can't wait to see how it looks.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #24
Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

Yeah I cant wait till I put it down. Should I nail it or glue it??? I have never done hard wood.
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Old 11-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #25
Bus Nut

I've never done it either but I think it just sits on top of the floor, something about it expanding and contracting... I could be wrong.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #26
Bus Nut

real hardwood floor gets nailed down.
look here for some instructions http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18306/
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #27
Bus Nut

you actually might want to reconsider that flooring. it is beautiful stuff. trouble is, it needs to be nailed down to something. So that means you have to put down firring strips, then the wood on top of them. Figure on loosing a few inches of precious headroom. Get some of that 88 cent thin laminate. It is junk, but, it's thin junk and should do fine for a few years. Panel a wall or two with the good stuff or sell it.

Maybe you can sell it to elliot. He's got headroom to spare. Where is that crazy old bastard, anyway? Must be on the road.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #28
Skoolie

I have 3/4 plywood subfloor. That should be good for nailing too. I am laying the hardwood, noway I would not use it. I think a home starts with a good floor. No better floor then hardwood.
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #29
Bus Nut

I agree... It's free and probably the first thing people will notice when the walk into the bus. Although it may require a lot of work I think it will look great, it will be worth it.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #30
Skoolie

I spent some time on my ol gal this weekend. I have been screwing down the floor to the sheet metal. I found out the cordless drill sucks for this job so I switched to the old kind that tethers you to a cord. It worked great. I set my floor plan on the floor by laying the outline of the frame with 2x4's. I also added what will be my kitchen cabinet. I still need to add my counter top and sink. I have decided that nailing the hardwood requires to many tools that I can not afford. So I will be gluing it down.

More pics will be added later. Looks alot different then when I got her.

Yesterday I started her up and at first she hesitated. The temp was in the mid 40's. normally she just cranks with one turn over. This time I had to hold the key for 6-8 seconds. This shows me that the colder it gets the harder to start she will be. Good thing it stays warmer down south. I also noticed the windows leak a little but as we all know, these days Georgia doesn't get rain so I can fix that in a few weeks.

I will be moving into my bus very soon. This will be before I have it plumed or running on her own power system. It will be basically framed and the wall finished. I will be staying where I have shore power and use of a bathroom.
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Maybe you can sell it to elliot. He's got headroom to spare. Where is that crazy old bastard, anyway? Must be on the road.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Just remember, it's Mr. Crazy Old Bastard when there are people around.

Yeah, I'm on the road a bit, earning a living, sometimes. Too many projects. Need to learn to do just one at the time. Remember that, guys; finish one project before starting the next.

Best wishes for the New Year!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #32
Skoolie

Well it has been a while since I have posted.

I have been living in my bus now for 4 months. I am parked behind a friends house during my build. I find it to be a fun place to live. So far I am still collecting parts to do my build. I have only so far layed my hardwood floor. I am waiting to build it up till I get my insulation. I have all my parts for the bedroom. and kitchen. I should be building the bedroom this weekend.

I have found a few issues with moving in before it is finished.
1. When it is cold and the bus has not enough insulation. Don't move in till you insulate.
2. That goes for when the summer air hits too.
3. When the bus gets too cold or hot it creates condisation.

I will post more later.
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Old 12-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #33
Skoolie

Where to find brake lines

Ok I have not posted on Skoolie in a long time been caught up living life and doing my best to save $.

I finally last week was able to jump the hoops with the state and I am now tagged and insured and 100% street legal. It took me over a year of phone calls and I would say 15 trips to the tax commissioners office for them to tag me as a RV. Georgia has a funky rule that a bus is a CDL commercial vehicle. But with the help of my local senator and other elected officials I was able to get a pass. And they never even looked at the bus. I was over joyed. The tags cost $147, when they become due again it will only be $20 a yr.. And my insurance for the last year is $200 every 6 months.All in all I think it was a pain in the a$$ but not too expensive.

I have so far built my bedroom and have a make shift kitchen area. I have now been living in this sweet Skoolie since December 17th 2007. That is one year and 4 days of full timing it. The bus has also been insulated and has a temp living area.I love living in my Skoolie. I use a propane heater in this cold and my pup, cat and I are nice and warm.

So my friend who I rent the backyard from is facing foreclosure on her house and it is time to move. I started her up nice and was ready to move her to a new place when I got stuck in the back yard. It had been raining for the last few weeks and I had 4 days with out rain thought I would be able to drive her up and out of the property. Well I was very wrong. The yard has a 35 degree incline I had to climb. As soon as the back tires hit wet grass I was in for a ride. My back tires slide down hill and bus followed. I then slammed the brakes to stop the slide and popped my front right side brake line in the act. When the bus had stopped its slide I was 40 feet down hill and dug in deep in the mud.

Now I was looking at was a quoted $230 winching and tow bill to get her to just the street. So I remembered from this site that Good Sam is a good Roadside Assistance for RV's Ao with out telling them I was stuck I called and paid for the standard plan for $80. I waited till the next morning and called in telling them I was stuck. And wow They were all cool and very quick. The yanked my beast out and was done in 20 minutes.

So here is my question I need a brake line from the frame rail to the caliper. I can't seem to find anyone who can lead me to the part. I need it quick. So if someone can point me in the direction I would be so happy. It is a Gmc Thomas 8.2 litter.
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Old 12-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Try to taking off the old broken line (you'll have to remove it eventually anyway) and bring it with ya to the parts store... try somewhere like Napa, where the guys at the counter know a bit more than the minimum wage earning "experts" they typically have at autozone...

I've broke 2 hydraulic brake lines on my bus - they were both rusted badly. Neither one was that hard to change, a little PB blast on the fittings and they came loose without much trouble.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #35
Bus Nut

their should be some chassis id on the front end like C60 or C6500, that is the basic chassis id that will help you get the right parts.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 70

Interrupt may be to used to you to allow you to open your entrance door by hand if you have one that is electric or air operated. Like everyone else, its just a guess. My door WAS air operated and had an "override" switch that when flipped allowed you to open the door by hand. Check it out.
wdbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #37
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

I think Buster is rite about that interrupt switch , you don't want to remove those blocks between the axel and the springs that sometimes changes the angle on your king pins. I've got a 85 G M C 6000 series wish I had a chrome grill like yours good look'n rig have fun and be careful.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote