Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #341
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Best Home Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Lorna, if you look anything like your daughters, you surely are a pretty woman.

The dog sweater is very nice.What a wonderful doggie parent you are.
Don't know about me but I did have pretty babies!

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #342
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

timmylc, Perhaps this thread has drifted "off topic". I do try to infuse information about my bus. Sometimes I feel implored to add additional material. I hope that this has not created too many waves.

Say the word, and I will start another thread on the "everything else" forum.

I certainly do not want to be booted out of this site.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #343
Bus Crazy

timmylc, Thanks for your reply. This is a fun site to go to.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #344
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Lorna, if you look anything like your daughters, you surely are a pretty woman.
Well said Accordion!
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #345

Quote:
Some of what I do may never be considered safe, but I have been living in vehicles for over thirty years. I have yet to blow myself up.
Are you sure about that? I thought you got blown up working under the hood of your Chevy motorhome....I think Bob was involved somehow as I recall?

Oh well, it's good to see you and your thread are still going strong.
jones'n4chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #346
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones'n4chrome
Quote:
Some of what I do may never be considered safe, but I have been living in vehicles for over thirty years. I have yet to blow myself up.
Are you sure about that? I thought you got blown up working under the hood of your Chevy motorhome....I think Bob was involved somehow as I recall?

Oh well, it's good to see you and your thread are still going strong.

Chuck, you have a good memory. It was, however, not me that blew myself up. It was Bob that blew me up.

Here is the story:

THE ENGINE INSTALL: It was in Azusa,California (part of LA) where Bob found the 1966 Chevy truck camper. I was, at that time, living in a 1980 Chevy van. Bob had already found his 1963 Chevy (factory built) camper.

He suggested that I get something bigger than my van to live in. So we go see this guy we affectionately called uncle Bill at his "shady" street corner used car lot.

There was a 1966 Chevy pickup truck with a 10 foot truck camper that someone had done a nice job of permanently installing. It had a 327 engine which had blown a timing chain.

Uncle Bill wanted $2500 for it. He had a mechanic there who was working on installing the new timing chain. Well, Bob and I hung around for hours while Bill assured us that the repair job would fix the problem.

So the "shade tree" mechanic finally gets it put together and goes to fire up the engine. All that happened was a lot of sputtering and a couple of loud pops. I looked at uncle Bill and said that the engine was not going to work.

At that point, he accepted defeat. I knew right then it was time to make my move and get this truck for cheap, so I offered Bill $800 and two banjos. I think the banjos clinched the deal because when I mentioned them, his eyebrows raised. It was a done deal.

I think it was at that time that Bob and I rented a car hauler trailer and towed it to the parking lot of the apartments where Bob was living. Before Bob got his 1963 Chevy, he had a 1966 VW camper van. We parked the 66 Chevy next to that.

Obviously, I needed an engine now. I looked at remanufactured engines at auto part stores, and was going to get one but a friend (probably Joel) said that that was not a wise move. He said that sometimes there is a difference of 30 thousandths diameter between cylinders on those. He suggested that I go see William Loe in Northridge.

William Loe built most of the engines for the stock car racers at Saugus Speedway. I took a trip down there and talked to him. I told him that I wanted a strong engine that would run on regular gas. He built a 383 stroker, which is a 350 block with a 400 crankshaft.

He made it so the compression was 9 1/2 to one so I could use regular gas. What I got from him was just the lower end. I had to get my own valve covers, intake manifold, and carburetor. I used the original "ram style" exhaust manifolds, and I think also the heads.

William Loe charged me $2500 for the work he did. So I haul this motor back to Azusa and now I am needing a place to install it. Bob and I go see Uncle Bill and ask him if we can use his car lot to do the install. He said that it would be OK. Now the work begins.

I had never installed an engine before, so I enlisted the help of Bob and Joel. I rented an engine hoist. We all met at Bill's and the work began. Unfortunately it rained the three days it took us to finish the job. Bob and Joel and I arranged our vehicles so that we could stretch a tarp and make a tent where we could work.

I suggested to Bob that we attach the transmission to the engine and install them both together. It made sense at the time. Well, as hard as we tried, they weren't going to fit in there while they were attached. Being determined to do it this way, I came up with a solution.

I said to Bob, "I'm gonna take a Sawzall and cut the floorboard here and make a flap so we can get this thing in" Bob laughed. He thought that was ridiculous. But I DID cut it and we bent the metal out of the way, and we were able to get the engine and tranny in. Then I just bent the metal back.

Finally the engine is in, and we have the hood installed as well. We are all excited about starting it up. So I crank it over and nothing happens. I figure that the distributor is not in the right place. So I ask Bob to do the turning over of the engine as I try all the possibilities of the distributor placement.

Naturally, after several tries to no avail, the intake manifold becomes full of gasoline. NOW HERE IS THE FUNNY PART. I was telling Bob to turn the key on and, if it didn't start, turn the key off. All that Bob could see of me, who was sitting in the engine compartment, was through the small slot under the hood when it was open.

Apparently there was some miscommunication. I thought the ignition key was off,( but it was still on) So I go to change the distributor to another position and as I am pulling it out, I say to myself "what a pretty blue spark"

It was at that moment that a humongous explosion of fire comes out of the distributor hole. It looked like the trail of a rocket taking off.

Fortunately, I was sitting on the fender. The blast sent me rolling off the fender on to the ground. Now, keep in mind the limited view that Bob had inside the cab. He said to me afterwards, "Oh my God. I blew Rudy up!!!"

Funny thing is that I did not receive any burns. I guess my quick reactions saved me. My quick reflexes is probably why I was a good boxer in my youth. So that is the day that Bob blew Rudy up
Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #347
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

LOL.
We all have our "explosion" stories.
I had one where I launched the muffler out the back of the truck when I went to cut it off the exhaust pipe with a torch after removing the tailpipe assembly ( saw broke the last blade ) and I had soot all over my face and singed hair.
After crawling out from under the truck with my ears ringing and friends came screeching to a stop after hearing the big noise. Started to fall down laughing after I took my goggles off.
I looked like Al Jolson.

For you to have an explosion like that you must have had allot of gas washed down past the rings into the crankcase or leaking intake gasket.
If it was the gas in the bottom end and in the oil; lucky it didn't start. You would have run a high risk of seizing you engine.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #348
Bus Geek

And the lesson here is... always have a "helper". That way you can blame them if you blow yourself up!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #349
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

Great blow up story, Was there a head shaped dent in the hood that your friend noticed first as the smoke cleared? Eyebrows survive?
I have one as well...I took a third shift mechanic/welder job working for a trucking company. I had to get something to be able to afford more than hot dogs and macaroni. That is but only one step up from ramin noodle meal bliss. I was working on a trailer that had been scheduled for a brake service. What I was to do required me to cage the maxi cylinder of the brake I was servicing. The maxi cylinder for those that don't know is the round can like thing that holds the parking spring and air chamber. This makes your air brake work, the spring inside is under LOTS of pressure. To cage the cylinder you put a manufacturer supplied bolt into the hole in the end of it to hold the spring inside compressed. This is why it is smart to use the external clamp to do this as well. We did not have those. What happens to these cylinders with the salt that we put on our roads is that they rot right at the clamp that holds them together. This was the older type that the housing is made out of aluminum or some type of cheap crap. There was a co-worker talking to me as I was doing this, he was at the back of the tanker trailer looking down at me. I was laying on a creeper under the rear axle when just as I turned the cage bolt into its lock, the cylinder exploded. I could not hear, the spring I spoke of shot between my legs and bounced off the dolly leg of the trailer then disappeared. That was when I looked down to see if my parts and legs were still there. It's important that the parts are still there the legs, well.
I will never forget that, that was strike one at that job. Strike two was when I had a tanker trailer come down from the tank wash tagged clean. It was to have some welding repairs done on it. I had started to get set up to do my work on this trailer, when in the door comes the tank wash guy and he tells me not to touch it. The trailer had just hauled a load of gasoline and had not been cleaned out yet! What I had to do would have been fine if it were cleaned as tagged. I had worked there for about 9 months, I did not stick around to see strike three.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #350
Bus Crazy

Tracy, two of your nine lives are used up.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #351
Almost There

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

I'm 49, I think I'm about average, meow...
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #352
Bus Crazy

Tracy,
Your "strike two" reminds me of a story my brother tells. In another life, he was a mechanic at a truck stop. A new manager took over, and one day told my brother to take a torch and cut up an "empty" tank in a back shed that used to hold gasoline. My brother said no way. A little while later he heard an explosion. The manager had told a kid working there to do what my brother had refused to. The shed walls had moved a foot, and the kid was DOA.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #353
Bus Crazy

Accordion,

Got a chance to listen to the links. They were a lot of fun. Very nice on the squeezebox and the associated 12-string slide clip. The banjo, not so much, but you admitted you were not a banjo player.

I was very interested in finding out what style you played. I see you play at least some zydeco/jazz vamp. There's not a lot of rock-n-roll accordion around, the last I remember is background on some John Mellencamp tracks.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #354
Bus Crazy

Redbear, Accordions are fun. You ought to get yourself one. It will help with cabin fever during those cold winters up there.

Thanks for checking out the links.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #355
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Accordians must beat a harmonica for entertaining yourself on a cold winter's day when you are stuck indoors!
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #356
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
..There's not a lot of rock-n-roll accordion around, the last I remember is background on some John Mellencamp tracks.
Weird Al Yankovic... (and almost everything that Weird Al sings)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #357
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

My kids and I love Weird Al!

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #358
Bus Crazy

I have heard about the Weird Al accordion tuning. Apparently he gets his accordions tuned to his specific system.

I really liked his version of Smoke On The Water.

Frank Yankovic was a famous accordion player. Does anyone know if that was Al's dad?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #359
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

That is what I have heard.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #360
Bus Crazy

It has been a while since I have had some new news on the bus.

Here are some pics of the window screens that I made. This is the first time that I have had some ventilation in the bus. Up until now, I have had to depend on the roof air conditioners.

The front AC died a few weeks after I had installed it. It came out of my 1979 class C Dodge motorhome. The fan bearings froze up.

The other roof air developed a water leak last year. It is pretty sad when you are sleeping on your bed and the roof air leaks on you.

Let's begin with the window screens.

I ripped 3/4 inch strips of cedar on the table saw. I screwed the strips together. I then stapled metal screen material to the frame. I siliconed the frames to the window openings.

Here are pics of the screens.