Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Best Home Yet

Insulation: the BIG difference.

As you may know, it got very cold inside the bus last winter. Two days ago I got an idea. I looked around the inside of the bus and formulated a plan to address the trouble zones that allowed coldness to enter.

I splurged for four sheets of 3/4 inch stiff "blue board" Styrofoam insulation, 4 tubes of silicone caulk, and a roll of duct tape. (By the way, I get a 10% Veteran's discount form Lowe's and Home Depot.)

My bus has the typical school bus windows. They are drafty. The first thing I did was to seal the tops and the middle seams of all the windows with a bead of silicone. No more air leaks.

Secondly, I cut and placed Styrofoam boards in all but 3 of the side windows. I fit them and used duct tape to hold them in. I left the rear windows uncovered. They are stationary, and do not leak air. Besides, I like the day light back there. The sun shines through and warms the galley and bathroom.

Then I put the foam boards on the galley floor and bathroom floor. I also used them for the walls of the bathroom. I taped the seams with duct tape and used the tape to secure the wall pieces.

Now, here's an interesting discovery that I made a few years ago. I noticed that my refrigerator did not work well, and at times actually stopped working during the winter.

After assessing the situation, I realized the problem was that the heating element in the back of the fridge was not able to do it's job because of the exposure to the cold temperature. So, as in my last motorhome, as well as this bus, I insulated the whole of the back of the fridge with the "blue board". I am only using the electrical heating element presently. If I was to use the propane heating element, I would not have the insulation placed there.

Also, being that I am only using the electric element, I was able to close off the fridge vent on the outside, thereby not allowing cold air to enter the cavity that houses the fridge.

My friend, Stanley is giving me some electrical "heat tape" which I will wrap the holding tank with.

I am very happy to report that the bus is immensely warmer than it was last winter.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #202
Bus Crazy

My dog, Emma, is too smart.

I came home this evening to find that both of my dogs were outside. Hmm, that was strange.

As you may know, from reading this thread, I have a common bifold door on my bus that folds in at the middle. You may also remember that I have vinyl window coverings that snap on to the door.

My dog, Emma, figured out that if she grabbed a hold of one of those vinyl coverings, and pulled in, she could open the door. I saw the teeth marks on the side of one of the coverings.

This whole affair was both amusing and disconcerting. I did not like the fact that she could escape, thereby letting my other dog, Buddy out as well. I did think, however, that Emma would be the dog that would drag me out of a burning house. Buddy is just not that smart.

To assure no more Houdini type dog tricks, I duct taped the loose sides of the vinyl window coverings so that she can no longer get purchase on their edges.

While I was taping the edges, Emma was looking at me from her perch atop the engine cover. I said to her, "see if you can figure it out now". I will know tomorrow.

It is unlikely that she will be able to open the door now.

I guess I am smarter than the average dog, and Emma is smarter than the average bear.

Too funny.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #203
Bus Crazy

A report on glue:

The carpet and bendable insulation in the kitchen and bedroom started letting loose. The front room, however, is still solidly glued.

It has been almost two years since I glued the ceiling carpet.

I was confused as to why front room ceiling was still intact. Shawn reminded me that we used two techniques for gluing.

In the front room, we used a spray gun and a very strong glue used for laminating Formica on to wood. The other two rooms were done with Spray cans of adhesive.

With a sprayer, you can get a LOT of glue on the surfaces. The spray cans don't get as much glue on. I also think the spray adhesive is not as strong.

Here's what I did to alleviate the falling ceiling problem.

I got wood slats that are 1 1/4 wide and 3/8 thick. I drilled and screwed them into the inner metal skin of the bus.

Here are some pics.

This shows the strips installed and just beginning to get stained.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #204
Bus Crazy

Here, the strips have been stained.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #205
Bus Crazy

Here are some night shots of the running lights and the brake lights. ALL of the running lights are now working. I installed LED tail lights. I replaced six upper running lights with regular type bulbs. I also replaced the stop light bulbs. I had to sand the terminals in the stop light fixtures.

I like where the large brake lights have the word STOP printed inside the lenses.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #206
Bus Crazy

Here is a pictorial and explanation of the fuel pump challenge that reached fruition. There are quite a few photos.

This presentation is being made in hopes of providing some insight to what the CAT 1160 looks like and how the fuel lines work.

Let us begin.

First, pics of the failed fuel pump. Notice the wet dirtiness spewed about.

This next one is almost an artistic photograph.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #207
Bus Crazy

More pics of the old fuel pump.

Here you can see that when the motor was running and the fuel was spraying out of the fuel pump, the underneath of the bus was getting wet.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #208
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I'm thinking of framing the interior side of my bus windows with wood, which will look nice but also provide a boxed in area that I can use to temporarily secure rigid foam insulation sheets when the weather is particularly inclimate. I will probably back the foam with some thin material like luan to give it strength, and then maybe use little rotating tabs to hold them in. The only disadvantage is I would need to store 8 of these panels when not in use, and that would take up valuable storage space. Hmmm... maybe just making insulated curtains would be good enough...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #209
Bus Crazy

The BIG air filter unit. I became frustrated working around it, so I removed it.

A QUESTION. What is that unit to the left of the air filter? I think it is a reservoir for power steering. There are more pics of that.

I have these nice wrenches. I used one to remove the air filter unit.

Here, the air filter unit has been removed.

It looks dirty in that hole. I cleaned it before I reinstalled the air filter unit.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #210
Bus Crazy

Now I had access to the fuel pump. I used a small butane torch to heat up the brass fittings so that I could remove the fuel lines. Here you can see that one of the fuel lines have been removed without ruining the flare nut.