Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #401
Bus Geek

Re: Best Home Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlindquist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Gotta find a way to get my truck and bus to where I am moving to. Gotta work out logistics. Gonna leave Missouri (Misery).
Drive the bus 100 feet. Stop and walk back to the truck. Drive the truck 100 feet. Stop and walk back to the bus. Repeat.

It may take a while, but you will have both the bus and the truck at your new location. You will also need new shoes since you will have walked there as well... while walking away.

Rich

On a serious note,if we can help move let me know I live where va,TN and nc meet,shoot me a pm if imight be of assistance

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #402
Skoolie

Not sure where you are at in Missouri or where you are headed, but I am heading thru IL in the next couple weeks. If there is anything you think I could do to help just let me know.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #403
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Quote:
Gotta find a way to get my truck and bus to where I am moving to. Gotta work out logistics. Gonna leave Missouri (Misery).
Drive the bus 100 feet. Stop and walk back to the truck. Drive the truck 100 feet. Stop and walk back to the bus. Repeat.

It may take a while, but you will have both the bus and the truck at your new location. You will also need new shoes since you will have walked there as well... while walking away.

Rich

That is very funny, however, it is something that is irrefutable in it's logic. It would only take a month to get there. That's even faster than a wagon trail.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #404
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
Not sure where you are at in Missouri or where you are headed, but I am heading thru IL in the next couple weeks. If there is anything you think I could do to help just let me know.
Wow, thanks for the offer. All I need is a pound of hundred dollar bills.

Most people do not know how much money that is. I called the Library of Congress and they did not know. I did find out through some nefarious source that is is around $50,000. Old money weighs more than crisp new money.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #405
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Quote:
Quote:

Rich

On a serious note,if we can help move let me know I live where va,TN and nc meet,shoot me a pm if imight be of assistance
You all are so kind.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #406
Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
Wow, thanks for the offer. All I need is a pound of hundred dollar bills.

Most people do not know how much money that is. I called the Library of Congress and they did not know. I did find out through some nefarious source that is is around $50,000. Old money weighs more than crisp new money.
If only I had a pound of hundred dollar bills to spare.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #407
Bus Crazy

UPDATE:

I am still in Missouri. Lack of funds has postponed my move. Perhaps in the Spring I will be able to do it.

I did manage to get my propane tanks filled. I have heat. I love those catalytic heaters.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #408
Bus Nut

Thanks for the update Rudy...... We where wondering about you. Sure glad you got heat.....
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #409
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Ford/Willock
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Doesn't have one
Rated Cap: 16 passenger

I am glad you have heat too. I couldn't afford furnace oil this year so we're using our wood heater, and it keeps Rick busy bringing in wood as it's not air-tight--couldn't afford good firewood either so we're using whatever we can scavenge from the 20 undeveloped acres behind us.

Very rainy and dark here today, forecast is for rain & snow mixed tonight.

I'm sure it's colder where you are.

Take Care and pat the dogs for me

Lois
yugogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #410
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
..........0. Old money weighs more than crisp new money.
It's because of all the butt sweat it has absorbed !
Air Brakes.
magic_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #411
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
UPDATE:

I did manage to get my propane tanks filled. I have heat. I love those catalytic heaters.
BTW..... on a more serious note-

Those catalytic heaters do look very good for bus use. They appear to be very fuel efficient too.
I can't make out the brand.
Can you supply the specs , brand and any advice on best place to purchase and such.
Looks like something I'd like to use as back up for the wood heater I'm going to install.

Thanks!
Air Brakes.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #412
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46

I have a buddy heater in the eagle. it will run on low on 7gal tank for about 2 weeks if i remeber. i put a new suburban furnace in, but that sucker sucks !! cat heaters are good...get a co2 detector and crack a window..you need to crack a window or roof vent..they require air flow...or u can look at a williams furnace they sell tem at home depot. but I would not i had one in my skoolie and it did not heat the bottom 3 feet of the bus. it was awful. cat heaters ..or blue flame work great just need a little ventilation.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #413
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadluc
I have a buddy heater in the eagle. it will run on low on 7gal tank for about 2 weeks if i remeber. i put a new suburban furnace in, but that sucker sucks !! cat heaters are good...get a co2 detector and crack a window..you need to crack a window or roof vent..they require air flow...or u can look at a williams furnace they sell tem at home depot. but I would not i had one in my skoolie and it did not heat the bottom 3 feet of the bus. it was awful. cat heaters ..or blue flame work great just need a little ventilation.
Yes, I understand how to,use them. Have used blue flame in campers before.
Mainly interested in the exact brand & type shown in this bus.
Air Brakes.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #414
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadluc
Yes, I understand how to,use them. Have used blue flame in campers before.
Mainly interested in the exact brand & type shown in this bus.

The brand name is Olympian. The model is Wave 3. They are expensive. I got them on sale for $200 each. They are called "safety heaters" because if the pad (for whatever reason) stops making heat, they will shut down.

For some info about these types of heaters, go to this page and scroll down. You will learn what I know about them.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10764&start=90

One of the best aspects of these heaters is that they do not need electricity to operate. They come in different sizes. Mine are all 3000 BTU.They also come in 6000 and 8000 BTU models. Way back when, I had a 12000 Buta Thermex brand heater. That was over thirty years ago. I have not seen a modern heater that is 12000 BTU.

I got my Olympian catalytic heaters at a store called Camping World.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #415
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Love them too... this is the one I purchased a year ago,

http://www.acmetools.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... QgodNmgAtg

on its second winter and works like new, plus three heat settings. Bought it refurbished at Ace.
It will remain my back-up heat if wood is not available... But in the Northwest, I should be ok.
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #416
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

The brand name is Olympian. The model is Wave 3. They are expensive. I got them on sale for $200 each. They are called "safety heaters" because if the pad (for whatever reason) stops making heat, they will shut down.

For some info about these types of heaters, go to this page and scroll down. You will learn what I know about them.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10764&start=90

One of the best aspects of these heaters is that they do not need electricity to operate. They come in different sizes. Mine are all 3000 BTU.They also come in 6000 and 8000 BTU models. Way back when, I had a 12000 Buta Thermex brand heater. That was over thirty years ago. I have not seen a modern heater that is 12000 BTU.

I got my Olympian catalytic heaters at a store called Camping World.
Thanks!

I've been wading through your massive thread and missed the heater inf.
I'm planning wood as primary but want something compact and safe as back up gas heat.
Your heaters look to fit the bill.

A very nice bus BTW.
Air Brakes.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #417
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland

i still love my old boxwood stove! it works great, plus i work for a tree removal service soo i get endless supply of fire wood
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #418
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBskunk
i still love my old boxwood stove! it works great, plus i work for a tree removal service soo i get endless supply of fire wood
Yep, wood heat is very warm. It also heats you twice. Once rounding it up and twice when it's burned.
Another benefit I've found with wood heat is it sure gets rid of a load of humidity & condensation and helps keep stuff dry.
Air Brakes.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #419
Bus Crazy

"School bus Magic bus. Now I got my magic bus. School bus Magic bus". That was a great song. Perhaps you are old enough to remember it.

Magic bus wrote "I've been wading through your massive thread and missed the heater inf.
I'm planning wood as primary but want something compact and safe as back up gas heat.
Your heaters look to fit the bill.

A very nice bus BTW."

Accordion writes "Thanks for checking out the thread".
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #420
Bus Crazy

At the end of the month, I am moving from where I am. There is no work for me here.

Some friends have loaned me the funds to make my journey possible.

The re-registration of my "motorhome" was $120. The insurance is some company that I found through Geico. It is called Foremost Insurance. My bill is $111 a year.

NOW, I must say that every time that my friend, Bob, said to me that if you envision what you want, the Universe will make it happen, I had to chuckle.

WELL, how can I explain receiving a renewal notice where I live when it was addressed to a Tennessee address? I never filed a change of address. It was an important piece of mail that I needed just at this time. Spooky huh?

I called Bob and said that perhaps there is something about this Universe thing.

So now, the "motorhome" is legal. I will make some test drives before I make the 500 mile trip. I am a little nervous about driving this big beasty.

I am making arrangements to have my pickup truck hauled to where I am going. That is costing me $400. It would cost a lot more to somehow get a towing system attached to my "motorhome" as well as a hitch attached to the truck.

I had thought of paying for a plane ticket for someone and having them drive the truck back there. Considering the cost of the plane ticket and $120 in gasoline for the truck, I think that the delivery charge is OK.

I am excited about parking at the Walmart which is half way back home. They have a giant Chinese buffet restaurant in the complex where Walmart is.

I will take pics.