Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #281
Bus Nut

Re: Best Home Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshart
Your new spot looks great. Do you have hookups there? How long do you usually stay in a spot like that?

Don't mean to be so nosy, but what you're doing now is what me and the husband would like to do in the future. How do you go about finding private properties to stay at? We've tried looking/asking on Craigslist but haven't found much. I'm thinking it must be the area we're in.

I was going to ask the same question (about how you find the properties). Looks like they are in the country. How do you find people willing to let you park on their property, and do they charge you? Do you have access to electric and water hookups, and how do you empty your tanks? I've been reading about your build since I joined......great info, especially since I've decided I want a flat nose. Safe travels!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #282
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshart
Your new spot looks great. Do you have hookups there? How long do you usually stay in a spot like that?

Don't mean to be so nosy, but what you're doing now is what me and the husband would like to do in the future. How do you go about finding private properties to stay at? We've tried looking/asking on Craigslist but haven't found much. I'm thinking it must be the area we're in.

I was going to ask the same question (about how you find the properties). Looks like they are in the country. How do you find people willing to let you park on their property, and do they charge you? Do you have access to electric and water hookups, and how do you empty your tanks? I've been reading about your build since I joined......great info, especially since I've decided I want a flat nose. Safe travels!

In answer to the above questions, I have been lucky. Because of my years as a performer, I have made many friends. It is these friends that have offered me a place to park.

When I first arrived to Tenn., I met a guy who was a hippie type. He has a bus of his own. He enjoyed having people like me staying at his place. There I had electricity run to my 1966 Chevy camper via a heavy duty extension cord. There was a garage that had a toilet and shower. I paid rent and electrical there. I stayed there for a couple of years.

Then I got a job in an industrial section of town. The owner of the company wanted to have someone on the property during the evenings. He invited me to park there. I was there for five years. I had the keys to the shop where I used the shower and toilet. It was a big parking lot with a locked gate. It was quiet at night. I had electrical from a panel in one of the storage containers that I was parked next to. I did not pay rent or electricity there. I stayed there in a variety of trailers, the Class C Dodge, and my bus.

I lost my job, then went to live at a friend's property ( still in Tenn.) next to his metal shop building. I actually had to pay a lot for rent and electricity. There was a water spigot at the end of the driveway. ( I don't have my plumbing hooked up yet in the bus ). I use one gallon water jugs, 36 of them, for the dogs, cooking, and flushing the toilet. The toilet is hooked up to the waste tank. I empty the waste tank into the 22 gal tote tank and wheel it over to the stub out for the septic tank, and dump it in there. This friend is someone that I used to play music with. He had 15 acres in the country.

Having played at a lot of music festivals in Missouri, I made a lot of friends who are enamored with my musical abilities. I was invited to go to a friend's place to help him start his underground house project. I was there for three months. I paid for electricity and helped with internet costs as well. I dumped into the stub out. I had electricity from the garage. The building project came to a close. I left.

Now, I am at another friend's place at his request. It is 60 miles away from where I was. He has 20 acres. His parents live here as well. That is their house that I built the deck on to. My friend also has a little house that used to be a shop. I help them out with projects, and get paid some. I do not have to pay rent or electricity. Plus, my friend's mom insists that I eat over there every day. There are plenty of projects that have to be done before winter. My friend and his parents are very glad to have me living here. I have electricity from the barn that I am parked next to. I use my friend's shower and toilet.

As you can see, I have been lucky. I have many things that I could write about from living on the streets. It can be done. I will save that dissertation for people who want to know about "urban camping".

To summarize: If you want to live on private property, talk to friends first. Offer to help with projects. Offer to pay rent. Stay within the confines of your vehicle and yard. Don't wear out your welcome.

I am a single guy, and not much of a burden. I expect that if you have children, it might be difficult to live under those auspices.

If you are lucky enough to be working, and working in an industrial area, You might ask the boss if you could park there. For the boss, it is free security for the place. Some people spend a lot of money monthly to have security on their property.

I hope I have answered the key points to your questions. If you need more details, please feel free to ask specific questions. I have lots of answers. Also, if you intend to live on the streets, I have guidelines that work. Usually, stealth is the key to success in an urban environment. The best scenario is private property, though.

Oh, one more thing, my friend, Bob, has had good success at finding out of the way campgrounds and trailer parks where he has been able to do a little work to defray the rental cost. He has wintered over in a few of them.

Thanks for your inquiries.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #283
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You can check out Workamper News. Escpaees forums (which is where you need to look and ask questions first) has a couple sections on their forum. It is enlightening.

Escapees: Working on the Road
Escapees: Workers Wanted
RVers looking for Work
Escpaees: Volunteering Many folks confuse volunteering with workamping. So there is some very good info here.

As for "workamping" that is pretty tricky. I would not do it unless It was a "real" job that paid me not in a site only swap but in cash plus a site (I think I am worth more than $2.50 per hour). I would rather get into the "system" at a place like Wal-Mart/ Lowes/ Family Dollar, etc. Not those places specifically but once you get into the corporation payroll system, you can work for several months and then transfer to another store that has an opening. Like a lowly CASHIER or night time STOCK. These stores are always looking for folks who will work and PASS A DRUG TEST. If you can't, then don't bother applying. My daughter is an assistant manager at a Family Dollar (was a cashier). Her biggest complaint (other than the stealing) is the folks who come in to apply (so they can get their gov checks) or come in saying they really need a job and fail a drug test. She is trying to get on a Wal-Mart (higher pay for a night stocker) and then transfer to another town after a couple of months, then another state eventually. She is going to work her way back east. BTW, Wal-Mart likes mobile people. And then there is Amazon who hires in various places for Christmas. Several folks on Escapees have done that among other things. Forget Craigslist. You are looking in the wrong place. You really need to read to pros and cons of workamping. Basically workamping works if you have $$ coming in (like a pension or similar). If not, in most cases, you are backing up.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #284
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Goshen
Engine: 350

Hi Rudy - got your message - my bus is here somewhere under the name Mildred. Bad news about her though. We hadn't completed the project - just did the mechanical and some basics to the inside. Then we haven't used her in a while and were going to try one more trip to see if we were even still interested in having a bus. Now my husband is in the hospital and won't be able to do anything else with her anyway. Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I do like your bus though - looks like a great 'life-on-the-road' bus.
granolaeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #285
Bus Crazy

Granolaeeter, Sorry to hear about your husband being in the hospital. I hope he gets better and is able to leave that place. Hospitals are creepy places.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #286
Bus Crazy

These next few posts are about going on a little road trip to visit a fellow skoolie named Glenn C.

I had emailed Glenn, whose bus you are familiar with, and we talked on the phone as well. I suggested that we plan a visit. Glenn lives 130 miles from me in an awesomely beautiful part of Missouri. There are rolling hills with cows grazing. Glenn calls it his own little piece of Ireland.

My friends Shaun, Jason, and I went to visit him. It was the highlight of my summer.

I suggest to you all that if you have the opportunity, you should visit your fellow skoolies. They are people who are of the same ilk. There is gypsy blood in all of us who choose to build a bus and live in it.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #287
Bus Crazy

Here is the link to GlennC's thread.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6181

Now, I will write about the trip and the preparations I made. There are pics coming as well.

I had to add 2 quarts of oil in the engine, and three quarts of oil in the transmission before I left. That's not bad, considering that I had driven the bus quite a while before this trip. That included the jaunts that I had made in Tennessee, as well as the trip from Tn. to Missouri.

On the way to Glenn's, I thought that I would keep the speed down to 60 MPH. I thought that I might get better MPH. I gotta tell you that it was not such a great idea.

As big as my motor is, it is fairly wimpy. At 60 MPH, I was not operating in the power band. Every little grade slowed it down tremendously. At times I thought that my motor must be dying. It was somewhat disheartening.

On the way back home, I drove it pedal to the metal and was going 69 to 72 MPH on level grades. The motor sounded great, and went up the grades much better. I figured that it was the RPMs that the motor liked to run at.

I don't have a tach, so I don't know what the RPMs were.There is obviously a governor on the motor. On my trip from Tn. to Mo. I learned that I get 8 MPG. That's OK with me. It is expensive to travel though. Fortunately, Glenn offered to pay for the fuel for my trip to visit him.

One strange thing did happen on the way home. We stopped to visit a friend of Shaun's after driving 110 miles. I shut off the engine there. A half hour later, I tried to start the bus again. It did NOT start. I was perplexed.

Jason unscrewed the fuel filter. We were surprised to see that it was pressurized in there. We let some of the fuel spray out of the top of the filter. We then waited for another half hour. The bus then started.

I remembered reading that when before you shut off the bus, you should let it idle for a few minutes. Perhaps, it was because that I did not do that, I had created a vapor lock. I still don't know the mystery of it not starting.

We got it started and arrived back home. It was a great road trip that will give me many fun memories.

Oh, by the way, the dogs came with us. They were well behaved on the ride. Glenn has a little poodle type dog and two cats.

My dogs like to eat cats. When my male dog, Buddy, went to chase one of Glenn's cats, his little dog chased off Buddy. It was very funny to see how afraid my dog Buddy was of the little poodle dog. Actually, it is a common occurrence that little dogs can frighten dogs that are much larger than them.

Also there is the respect that dogs have for other people's property. When my dogs are home, they protect their place. That's just what Glenn's dog was doing. It is good that my dogs are well mannered in that respect.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #288
Bus Crazy

Now on to some pics.

Here are some pics of Glenn's bus and my bus. I parked it close to his.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #289
Bus Crazy

Here is me, Jason, and Shaun. You can also see Buddy, in the bus, in the first photo.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #290
Bus Crazy

As we were getting close to Glenn's place, which was hard to find, we got lost several times. Thank goodness we had cell phones. We made numerous calls to find our way there.

At one point, I pulled into a Veteran's Hall. It is there that I snapped a pic of this tank.