Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #321
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Best Home Yet

heck,,, all my bays are taken blackwater , hot water heater, genrater ,storge..i only have 6 bays to use
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023.JPG (383.7 KB, 544 views)
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #322
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensOracle
My only concern with putting a gas tank there would be the fact that you have a flame source right above it. The exhaust from the furnace may or may not be a problem in that regard but I would make sure the tank has proper ventilation.
Keen eye. What you do not know is that I have removed that furnace. Thanks for your concern for my safety.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #323
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
Heck, you could fit an Arco station in there ...
That is funny. I might be able to get an eighty gallon tank in there. I thought of adding an auxiliary diesel tank on the other side. I have a 60 gallon fuel tank that is the original tank that came with the bus.
I like the idea of having over a hundred gallons of fuel. The question is: How am I gonna pay for all that diesel?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #324
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
heck,,, all my bays are taken blackwater , hot water heater, genrater ,storge..i only have 6 bays to use
Lucky you. I have only two bays. Actually, very many buses have no storage bays. I consider myself lucky.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #325
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
It's 4 gallons.

Yup, a line through the bulkhead to the generator.
Hose clamp on each side of the bulkhead keeps the hose from slipping one way or the other.

Tom
Not intending to rain on your parade, but there are two problems with the gas hose that, if not corrected, will cause a spill at best or a fire. Rubber hoses, even those intended for gas, get harder with time and develop cracks. This is caused mostly by the gas and the ozone on the air. Check the hoses at any gas station pump (or your own car).
Second issue is the hose going through an unprotected metal hole. Rubbing from pulling the tank in and out and vibration from driving will eventually will cause the metal to cut it. I personally would leave the gas tank fixed and put a suitable filling neck with a door to cover it if desired.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #326
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipopak
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd
It's 4 gallons.

Yup, a line through the bulkhead to the generator.
Hose clamp on each side of the bulkhead keeps the hose from slipping one way or the other.

Tom
Not intending to rain on your parade, but there are two problems with the gas hose that, if not corrected, will cause a spill at best or a fire. Rubber hoses, even those intended for gas, get harder with time and develop cracks. This is caused mostly by the gas and the ozone on the air. Check the hoses at any gas station pump (or your own car).
Second issue is the hose going through an unprotected metal hole. Rubbing from pulling the tank in and out and vibration from driving will eventually will cause the metal to cut it. I personally would leave the gas tank fixed and put a suitable filling neck with a door to cover it if desired.
You're not raining on my parade, you simply made two assumptions which were invalid -
Quote:
Rubber hoses, even those intended for gas, get harder with time and develop cracks.
You assume, for some reason, that I don't maintain my equipment - it's not a Ronco - I didn't just 'set it and forget it'

Quote:
Second issue is the hose going through an unprotected metal hole.
Duh - the bulkhead is wood and the hole is chamfered (you can look that up) and offers no sharp edge to the hose. Actually if you look at the bulkhead in the photo you can see the 'flake' pattern, it's flakeboard. Why did you think it was metal?
The hose clamps on either side of the bulkhead prevent lateral abrasion. What did you think the hose clamps were for? It's even explained in the accompanying text.

Just a word, helpful comments are always welcome but please understand what you're looking at and it's design before 'offering' them.

Accordion - sorry about clogging up your thread ...

Tom
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #327
Bus Crazy

It is good that we all share our concerns for safety. It is also good that we have a good sense of what is safe.

Some of what I do may never be considered safe, but I have been living in vehicles for over thirty years. I have yet to blow myself up.

Any input to my thread is appreciated.

Remember, we are all of the same ilk. In the immortal words of that disco hit, "...we are family..."

I do welcome any observations from other members from this forum. I will also feel free to explain my methods, and how I feel confident with them.

So, now enjoy this video. Forgive the advertisement before the video starts.

Merry Christmas. OH WAIT! Let me be politically correct by saying Happy Holidays.

You know what? F... a bunch of political correctness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid, we recited the pledge of allegiance every day in school
Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #328
Bus Crazy

A Report On Wintering For Full Timers:

As you may know, if you have read my thread, insulating IS important. I sealed the bus windows with silicone. I sealed the top of the windows and the seam in the middle of the windows. Now, no wind comes through there. I also placed 3/4 inch Styrofoam insulation into the window frames that I am not using for light.

Now for something that I may not have mentioned. It is important to keep warm air from escaping out through the vents of your rooftop air conditioner. I used duct tape to cover the intake vents and the output vents of the rooftop air conditioners in my bus. It makes a big difference.

Also, the stove vent will let lots of air out. I left that one alone, as I use the stove sometimes.

Now for something that makes a big difference; an electric blanket.

I received an early gift. It is an electric blanket. It is not so much a blanket. It is more like a fitted sheet that fits on my twin bed. Therefore, I sleep on top of it. It is amazing. It is 180 watts on high setting. It has many settings ( 1-10 ).

I must say that it is SO great to sleep on what I like to call my "heated mattress". It was a little over 30 dollars.

I have not even turned on my propane heaters when it is in the teens outside. I still have my electric oil filled heaters going though.

I have awoken to see that it is 51 degrees inside the bus, but I was comfy cozy in my bed. The dogs are OK because they have their built in fur coats.

My friend, Dennis, has been telling me for years to get an electric blanket. He is also a full timer. He has an old GMC bus. Get yourself an electric blanket. You'll be glad you did.

Another great thing is the pad that I use for my feet while I sit at my desk. It is made to put in a dog house. It is a plastic thing that is about two square feet. It is 80 watts. It was about 30 dollars.

Also, I wear an insulated coveralls that Dennis sent me a couple years ago. I wear them pretty much 24/7 in the winter. It is kind of bulky, but it keeps me warm. I even wear a sock cap to sleep if it gets real cold.

I thought that with the insulation that I put in when I built this bus that It would be warmer. It is alarmingly cold in here.
I should have tripled the insulation that I put in. But then, I would not have much headroom.

OH! Another thing that really helps is to put a skirt of some sort around the bottom of the bus. I once used hay bales, but I am worried about spontaneous combustion of wet vegetation.

I hope that these suggestions will help those of you who are full timing in cold climates.

Here are two pics from a music party last weekend. And NO, I do not know how to play the violin. These pics were taken at a friend's house. The mandolin on the left and the one in the center are mine. My friend, Shaun owns three of the banjos. The others were brought by the other musicians. It is a cool picture.

I am, by no means, a banjo player. However, if you want to see me noodling around on one, here is a youtube link.

Also, here is a link to a bootleg of me playing an accordion. As with the banjo video, I was not aware of being filmed. I can play the accordion fairly well.

Happy holidays to you all. I wish you all good times visiting your families. It is these times that I wish I had children.

Here are the pics of the fun musical weekend

Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #329
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Wow, what a journey...

Great thread, stories and pics... Your thread has put a fire under me to get up off the couch and do some work on mine... Every once in a while I need something to get me motivated again..Especiallyly when it's cold and wet outside...

Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work...

Luey...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #330
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Those are called heated mattress pads (110-120vAC 70 watts max). Heavenly! Especially if you are accustomed to sleeping in a heated waterbed. We have been using them for about 10 years. I put a sleeping bag on top (hidden under a modern "mostly for looks" quilt which does not do what old timey heavy quilts did). this helps hold the heat in the bed. We stay very toasty in below freezing temps. Mine is an old West Point Stevens Restwarmer (this particular one is about 8 yo). It shuts down after being on for 10 hours. Good for when you forget to turn it off or have kids who will sleep well into the day if they are left alone. Some of the full size pads have dual controls. Ours does. I like to crank it all the way up a little before bedtime and when we go to bed, turn it all the way off, then turn back on only one or two "lights". We have ours on a 4" memory foam mattress topper that is on a full size air mattress. Air mattresses tend to be cold in the winter and you need a little "help". I would not put the pad directly on the air mattress. On top of the mattress topper is okay. When the memory foam gets cold, it gets hard. They don't tell you that in the commercials and ads for the stuff!

Right now we are only heating with a small milk house style electric heater. It's cold in here at night! We need to get more insulation up and the heat exchanger put together! Don't forget we are living in a severely unfinished bus.

Don't forget to heat tape/insulate your water hose!
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote