Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Best Home Yet

Here are some new pics.

First, is of the biggest snow that we had this winter.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #432
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Brrr...I don't think the Browncrown would look good in white
Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #433
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Rudy, I love how your vehicles, combined, are red, white, and blue. You're a true American!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #434
Bus Crazy

Dan, It just worked out that way. I do like the colors of my bus and my truck.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #435
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

If you come across a couple hundred bucks some time I think it would be cool if you could get a class III or IV hitch installed on your bus - that way you could rent a little dolly to haul your truck on those occasions when you need to move. I think it would pay for itself after just one move. I wouldn't necessarily want to haul a car around all the time, but for a straightforward, point A to point B move, I think it would be the way to go.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #436
Bus Crazy

The disastrous day.

All last week, I got prepared for my test drive. Today was the day.

I started my bus, and put it into gear, however, after sitting a year and a half, the bus had sunk into the mud.

A very nice neighbor, Chuck, came over when I had asked him if he could help pull me out. He came over with his Chevy four wheel drive pickup truck. He hooked a chain to my front bumper, and even with me in drive and him pulling, the bus did not move.

So Chuck says that he is going to go get his diesel Ford dually truck. He comes back with that one and lo and behold, we get the bus unstuck.

Yahoo, I am ready to start my test drives.

I had mentioned to you skoolies that I was nervous about driving this big beasty. Interestingly, I felt comfortable after a few minutes.

NOW, this is where the story goes awry.

I had gone a mile and a half. I was on a narrow road.

A truck was approaching from the opposite direction. I pulled over to the right. The next thing I know is that I am in a two and a half foot ditch.

The bus is almost tipped over on it's side.

The approaching truck stops. Funny thing is that it was my other neighbor, Kelly. I yelled out of my driver's window, "yes it's me".

So, Kelly saw the whole thing happen.

I tried calling Chuck but could not reach him. Kelly said that he would go tell him of my demise. Both Kelly and Chuck come to the place of my disaster.

Chuck surveys the situation, and we both realize that he can not pull this bus out. He was worried that any attempt might cause the bus to flip over on it's side.

NOW, comes along another neighbor named Clint. He says that he has a backhoe. He says that he has pulled many people out of precarious positions.

Clint gets out of his truck, and looks at the situation. He also realizes that there is not much he can do. He was also concerned about the bus flipping over with any attempt to extricate it.

On a humorous note, It was funny to see my dogs trying to walk on the wooden floor of my bus that was tilted thirty degrees if not more.

So, Chuck calls a towing company. We wait for an hour for this GIANT towing truck to arrive. It is the kind of truck that can tow tractor trailer rigs.

I did not get a picture of it, but you know what they look like.

The operator of the truck and I talked over the strategy. He also had some trepidation about accomplishing this mission.

He parked on the left hand of the road. He hooked up a big cable through a pulley. He hooked up a chain to my front axle. He told me to go in the bus and turn my steering wheel to the left when he started winching me back on the road.

It was a great feeling when I felt the bus get back on level ground. I did not damage the bus.

Despite all the people present (neighbors) who were worried about the bus tipping over (the tow truck guy included), I figured that I had no other option.

Now comes the part where I should have brought a jar of Vaseline. You know (bend over and grab your ankles).

It cost me $375 for that guy who worked for less than an hour to pull me out.

I said,"are you serious?"

He said that he does not make the prices. He only works for the company. I guess the company is doing all they can to pay off that brand new tow truck.

I did compliment the operator on the good job that he had done.

So now, I am stuck. I had $400 saved for getting my little pickup truck hauled to Tennessee. Unless I can find something to sell SOON, I will not be able to leave on the 11th of May.

Not to be deterred from my mission today, I made four loops on my test drives. After my mishap, when I encountered other vehicles, I just slowed down and let them figure out how to get by me.

Here are some pics of Mr. Dumbass (me) in the ditch. It was an epic day that I will not soon forget. A funny thing is that I had asked Shaun's mom (from where I live presently) if she would like to go on the test drives.

She declined. I told her that it was best that she did.

Now I have to pick up all the stuff that went flying inside the bus.

I just do not like this bus which has the steer wheel behind the driving seat.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #437
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
If you come across a couple hundred bucks some time I think it would be cool if you could get a class III or IV hitch installed on your bus - that way you could rent a little dolly to haul your truck on those occasions when you need to move. I think it would pay for itself after just one move. I wouldn't necessarily want to haul a car around all the time, but for a straightforward, point A to point B move, I think it would be the way to go.
Dan, my waste tank is in back. I would have to get something custom welded. That would be big bucks. Then I would have to get a tow bar for my truck. More big bucks.

As you see from my latest post, I can barely drive the bus by itself, much less worry about towing something behind me.

It will cost me $400 to have the truck hauled.

On the bright side, I can still play accordion and mandolin. There is no risk of danger in those hobbies.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #438
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Wow Rudi, glad you and the bus are OK. As for the price, I think you are lucky that it was only $375. Most places it usually a minimum of $500 just for them to show up. Sure it took less than an hour for him to do the work, but look what he showed up in, something big enough to get the job done in less than an hour. When you consider what those trucks cost (easily in the $200,000 range) and the fact that they aren't in use all day every day $375 is a bargain. You waited for an hour for him to show up, if he left when you called, that means he was an hour away, there's two more hours added to your bill. They charge for "home to home", probably my mileage. While I feel your pain I think the fee was quite fair. I consider my self lucky that in 20 years of driving a truck, I only had to be towed twice. The first in a blizzard, truck died, went 5 miles cost $675. The second truck died, went 15 miles cost $875.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #439
Site Team

Glad to here test drive went good (overall)

as you know it will work it's self out.........

have you not driven the bus at all since you got it?

good luck; it is what it is................................ and it will be good
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #440
Bus Crazy

Bansil, I drove the bus from Tennessee to where I am in Missouri. I have not driven it in a year and a half.

I am going to drive it back to Tennessee soon.

At least I did not wreck the bus because of my mishap.