Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Best Home Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Wow Rudi, glad you and the bus are OK. As for the price, I think you are lucky that it was only $375. Most places it usually a minimum of $500 just for them to show up. Sure it took less than an hour for him to do the work, but look what he showed up in, something big enough to get the job done in less than an hour. When you consider what those trucks cost (easily in the $200,000 range) and the fact that they aren't in use all day every day $375 is a bargain. You waited for an hour for him to show up, if he left when you called, that means he was an hour away, there's two more hours added to your bill. They charge for "home to home", probably my mileage. While I feel your pain I think the fee was quite fair. I consider my self lucky that in 20 years of driving a truck, I only had to be towed twice. The first in a blizzard, truck died, went 5 miles cost $675. The second truck died, went 15 miles cost $875.
Dick, I had no idea what the costs were. From what you say, I guess I got away fairly cheap.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #442
Site Team

I thought I read that, the 1st mile from my house to the road is always one that "stirs up the butterfly's"

a few miles later and it's all comfy again, I think it's the reality check from the inner workings of the bus that says "I am big and heavy so respect me" ....OTay
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #443
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Accordion I'm glad you and your bus are safe and in good shape! No more off roading for you!!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #444
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

I know they go much higher. I used that figure because I didn't want someone to jump all over me saying, " I can get one for $200,000".
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #445
Bus Crazy

The truck that rescued me was a brand new one. It was fancy. It was a Jerr Dan body and a Kenworth cab and frame. What a marvelous machine it was. I can easily see that it cost many hundred thousand dollars.

Thanks to everyone for your concern about my mishap.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #446
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
... WOW! That is funny that you could identify that stuff....
Are you the person who is living in the Class C ?
Of course I could recognize what the meal was, Chinese is one of the cuisines I make all the time (along with German and Indian). Two pounds of meat is a snack, doggone it.

Aye yup, I'm in the Class C... and breaking it on a daily basis. I don't go out to break stuff, I just kinda happen to it. Really hoping a Bus will break my bad luck.

OH DEAR DOG, WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR BUS?! Glad you're okay but holy snap, dude. Had it been raining recently in that area or summat? Only other time I've seen anything sink that deep was when the Schwan's truck parked on our lawn instead of the driveway.

Aaaaaaand I'm sadistic enough to kinda wanna see what happens when you drive/park a bus on sugar sand now. Does that make me a bad person? It does, doesn't it? Well, dang. Eh, I never said I was good person (my Grandmother does, but I'm pretty sure I'm not).

**Edit, fixed a tag.
***Gah, doggone tags!

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #447
Bus Crazy

Das Mel

You have quite the sense of humour. It has been raining a lot here lately.

I lived in a 1979 class C for a few years. It was nice except that the roof leaked from the moment that I bought it. It was a Dodge with a 440 engine. It got 6.5 miles per gallon. I drove it across the country. My bus gets 8 miles per gallon. It weighs twice what the Dodge weighed.

Eventually, it started falling apart. I stripped it of whatever parts that I could use in my bus. I sold a lot of the stuff that was in there.

You can see pics of it on my thread. You can also see Leon hauling it away.

I hope that you can get a bus soon.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #448
Bus Nut

Well, there, y'see? So no more driving on shoulders when it's been raining. Pricy lesson to learn, huh?

The Class C (I've named him See-Me-Not) gets about 6 MPG and has a 350 in it. The Bluebird (Compass Rose, right?) gets better MPG than my Jeep (Claudia, and it's not hard to get better MPG than her, she needs a tuneup and seems to live off neglect).

I've read through your thread from beginning to end here recently, like in the past month or so. I've pulled a couple of ideas from ya (how ya hung your cabinets for one), pulled a couple more from other sources (Mum won't let me put a porch on the back of my Bus like Master Gator did, I'm so jealous I'm GREEN). Was quite a sight to see that picture of the C being hauled off. Took me hat off and everything, I did, when I read about it. Something about it struck me weird, on account'a I know I'm gonna be sad to see the See-Me-Not go, even though he's diein' like he is. Like you did, I'm gonna salvage as much out as I can. My Sis wants my 6 gallon water heater, but if I do manage not to need it she'll pay for it.

Ain't nothin' in this life that's free. 'Cept maybe breathin' but I heard a long while back that an 'Air Bar' of some sort had opened up shop back in Asheville NC, and they were charging for breathing special-scented air. Sounds kinda like a waste to me but, eh, city slickers are a special sort.

*Edited because apparently my fingers run faster than my brain. Er, brain runs faster than fingers.
**Oh come on, Brain, stop skipping your spelling mistakes.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #449
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

I have CAA rv and Im changing to coach-net, just in case I need to be towed out . good investment .
gbstewart
http://www.coach-net.com/
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #450
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Quote:
city slickers are a special sort
Yep, buy a lot next to a pig farm, then sue the farmer because of the "smell" and force the farmer out of business, farm gets sold and divided up into lots, houses get built. Voila, new city starts up.
In my opinion three houses close enough to see each other is a city. If you see your neighbor in town and actually know who it is you've seen them too much.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote