Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #451
Bus Nut

Re: Best Home Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Yep, buy a lot next to a pig farm, then sue the farmer because of the "smell" and force the farmer out of business, farm gets sold and divided up into lots, houses get built. Voila, new city starts up.
Gah, don't remind me. Once a city goes in you have to follow rules and regulations that you don't bother with out in the bush.

"Don't shoot and eat the locals," my housemate keeps saying to me. He thinks I'll get 'Mad Human' disease. I keep telling him ya don't piss where ya eat but he doesn't understand, poor bloke's a city slicker stuck slap dab in the middle o' nowhere and he likes it that way. How he managed to get me as a housemate I'll never understand (no, seriously, why does he like me? I'm gonna ask his therapist next time we go up to the City for his Session. I go for Moral Support (go ahead and laugh) and to use the Waiting Room for a piece of artwork).

Hey, Accordion, if you could do it all over again, would ya still put the carpet on the ceiling? How hard is it to clean that stuff, anyhow? What about kitchen grease and the puppy-fuzz?

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #452
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Das Mel wrote

"Hey, Accordion, if you could do it all over again, would ya still put the carpet on the ceiling? How hard is it to clean that stuff, anyhow? What about kitchen grease and the puppy-fuzz?"

My response:

There is bendable insulation on the ceiling as well. I have no regrets using carpet on the ceiling. I would have liked to put tongue and groove pine boards. The boards would have been more difficult to install.

There is a bus on this forum where they installed a wood ceiling. It looks great.

The carpet ceiling does not get dirty anymore. It would get quite dusty/dirty when I was using the roof air conditioners. I would just vacuum the ceiling.

Now I have a window AC, so that is not a problem.

There is no problem with grease from cooking because I either nuke soup in the microwave or do crock pot cooking.

Having two dogs, dog hair is a part of my life. Fortunately, it is all on the floor. I can brush my dogs every day, yet more hair shows up. Spring is here, so they are shedding. None of the dog hair gets on the ceiling.

My friend, Bob, once put cedar shingles on the ceiling of his Class C. It looked great. He used small screws to install them. You can see photos of his and mine. His was a 1963 factory built camper with a 283 Chevy motor.

His was the white one. Mine was a custom built 1966 with a 1972 pickup camper permanently attached. It was turquoise at that time. I used enamel house paint to which I had mixed Penetrol into.

I had a high powered motor built for me by William Loe of Northridge California. It is what they call a 383 stroker. It is a 350 block with a 400 crankshaft. I remember climbing the long uphill highway to Vail Colorado and passing most of the vehicles on the road. Those were the days.

It will be so cool when you get a bus.

As Bob always says: Just envision it, and the universe will make it happen.

There was an old book by Norman Vincent Peale called The Power Of Positive Thinking.

There is certainly something to be said about that approach.

Das Mel, once you get a bus, your mom may help you build the interior. Of course, the alternative is to get one that has already been converted.

As you may have noticed, a lot of things were done in my bus when I got it. In some ways, it was handy. In other ways, I would have done things a little differently.

Nevertheless, I did manage to satisfy all my needs for a full time "house".

I know that this may sound corny, but perhaps you could go to your mom's bus, and run your hands on the side of it and chant " Bus, Bus, Bus, come to me."

I guess I got carried away with this post.

To summarize, I like my carpeted ceiling.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #453
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #454
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Just went through some of your thread. Another bus with stacks!! Except, mine only has one, and it's in the front. And that is one stuck bus! Looks like a bad day indeed.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #455
Bus Crazy

Here is a report.

Yesterday, I drove 270 miles. It may not seem like much, But let me assure you that it was a nightmare.

The motor (Cat 1160) runs great, the transmission (MT640) works great, the air brakes work great.

Here is where the nightmare comes in. The steering on this 40 year old bus is very worn. I have to go from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock back and forth just to keep the bus in my lane.

I could not even take a drink of my Earl Grey tea or smoke a cigar.

All I could do was to keep both hands on the steering wheel. I could not even look at my GPS to see how fast I was going.

I stayed at a Walmart in Sikeston Missouri last night. I was worn out. I got up, walked the dogs, got some Chinese buffet,(oh that was the night before when I parked that I got the Chinese food), stowed fragile items, and was prepared to go.

The bus batteries were dead. I found someone who gave me a jump.

Today, I only went 100 miles. I am 130 miles from my destination. I may make it in one trip OR I may just take it easy and make it in two trips.

I will NEVER make a long trip with this bus again unless I can get all the front end (steering) parts replaced. I pulled into an RV park today about 1 PM. Tonight I have electricity. That is why I can write this report.

Tonight, I am going to walk the dogs, reheat the leftover of the Chinese food in the microwave, and charge the batteries.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #456
Site Team

good to hear, some success
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #457
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Well, if I had to choose between bad engine, bad tranny, bad brakes, or bad steering, I think I'd take the bad steering!

That is a drag though, and I've had similar vehicles. I once had a 1967 VW Bus that was like that. Drove the thing around the country. But I was a much younger man back then.

Sadly, I'm guessing the repairs needed on your steering will be very costly as compared to the overall monetary value of the bus. Then again, once you put so much effort into converting the thing, you've got some serious motivation to keep it functional.

Best of luck to you on finishing your trip. Glad to hear you were finally able to make it happen!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #458
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Was the steering that bad before the stuck incident?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #459
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Was the steering that bad before the stuck incident?

Nat
The steering has been this bad since I bought the bus a few years ago.

Today was not as harrowing. Perhaps I am getting used to it.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #460
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Well, if I had to choose between bad engine, bad tranny, bad brakes, or bad steering, I think I'd take the bad steering!

That is a drag though, and I've had similar vehicles. I once had a 1967 VW Bus that was like that. Drove the thing around the country. But I was a much younger man back then.

Sadly, I'm guessing the repairs needed on your steering will be very costly as compared to the overall monetary value of the bus. Then again, once you put so much effort into converting the thing, you've got some serious motivation to keep it functional.

Best of luck to you on finishing your trip. Glad to hear you were finally able to make it happen!
Dan, I built this bus to be centered around my recording studio, and a home for me and my dogs. No regular motorhome would accommodate these things. So, yes, I am wanting to keep this bus alive. Besides, It looks cool also.