Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #121
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Best Home Yet

Here is a pic of the two Chevys. Notice the storage bins on the side. The skirt underneath the storage bins was made out of plywood and hinged so that I could change a tire if need be.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #122
Bus Crazy

Another photo of the machines.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #123
Bus Crazy

In this picture, you can see the rear of my camper and our two dobies playing. This is the last time you will see the camper this color. I spent a year in Seattle, and it is there that I repainted it.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #124
Bus Crazy

OK. Here are the photos with the new paint job. I used oil based enamel house paint.

First, I thoroughly cleaned the surfaces with TSP. Then I mixed one quart of Penetrol (basically Linseed oil) in with the paint. What the Penetrol does is make the oil base paint flow like water base paint, and leaves a high gloss shine, I used paint brushes and a roller.

You'd be surprised at the results. It is also very durable. It can last seven years and still not be cracked or chipped. This first picture was taken at Mike's place in Tn. The paint did not, however, stick to the window very well. The front hub caps were from a 1969 Pontiac.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #125
Bus Crazy

Here is a photo of the back with a bay window that I had made. I had not got a spare tire cover yet. Notice the backup lights I installed above tail lights. In the rear door, you'll see a small stained glass piece. I didn't make that one. Soon you will see the one I custom built for the back door.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #126
Bus Crazy

Oh, another view of the front and then we will go to the inside.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #127
Bus Crazy

But, wait. One more view of the outside. You can also see Mike's bus.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #128
Bus Crazy

This is looking towards the front of the camper. The bed is on top. When my ex wife and I were in Seattle, we went to the goodwill store and got materials to use on the inside. We used cloth, wallpaper, wood and paint to "Gypsyfy" this camper.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #129
Bus Crazy

This was the couch area with some of the stained glass stuff I had made.

As we turn to the right from the last picture, we see the rear of the camper. Notice the door with the small stained glass (which I did not make). Next picture, you will see the one I made to fit the door.

Here it is.

I will leave you with this last photo. It is a picture of the bed area. Coming up soon will be photos of the 1953 eleven foot trailer that I lived in for five years.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #130
Bus Crazy

This photo from early on in my posts shows part of a 1953 Schiebout Little Gem trailer that is behind the vehicles. I lived in it for five years. It not only housed me and my dog Buddy, it also served as my stained glass shop, and later, my recording studio.

Well, the door is open so let's go on in, shall we? This is when it was at Mike's place.

At the front of the trailer is my work table. Underneath the table is my recording studio rack gear and my stained glass storage. I used the sound equipment to run the CD player. There were two speakers on the work table. That is one of them, under the cloth at the left of the desk.

Another view of the front table. Here, you can see some of the projects I was working on.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #131
Bus Crazy

Hanging from the upper cabinet are some of the little people I made. I used glass and copper wire. I made dozens of these. Each one was different. I have none left. Most of them were given away as gifts. I do, however still have three of those globes you see hanging there. They are in my bus.

Here are lots of the little people. I used bottlecaps for the eyes and mouth. Above them is a strange bug I made. Below the people is the glass grinder. To the right of it are these little things I called Dancing Lips. They were popular. I sold many of those.

Here is a dragonfly that I was commissioned to do. You also have a better view of the Dancing Lips.

Here's me in the shop many years ago.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #132
Bus Crazy

Let's move on to the middle table. The green lampshade you see is one that I still have. It is now in my bus.

Two shots of the middle table. The bug you see there was made from a beer bottle. That was some tricky cutting.

A view of the rear of the trailer. If you look out the window, you can see part of Mike's bus. It is blue.

One last picture. That is the closet, and the propane heater I had at that time.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #133
Bus Crazy

I hope you have enjoyed this as much as I have. I leave you now with a picture that I used on the jacket of my first CD. I'll be back with more bus pictures. Until then, Keep On Bussin'. Rudy

Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #134
Bus Crazy

Some people might say, "OK, Rudy, where are the pictures of the bedroom? My response is that I am as excited as some of you may be.

Let me say that, today, Shawn and I spent the day eliminating items in the Dodge motorhome so that Leon can come and haul it away. Leon works at the metal scrapyard in town and he frequents our shop to get scrap metal that we donate to his cause.

Recycling metal is how he makes a living. I am happy to be able to contribute, by him hauling away the Dodge. By tomorrow, I will have removed everything that I may possibly be able to use out of that thing, and Leon will have scored big time. What a fitting end for the Dodge.

Oh, back to the new pictures promised. Perhaps, tomorrow, if we get the Dodge emptied, we can arrange a "photo shoot" of the bedroom. Keep your fingers crossed. Keep on Bussin'. Rudy
Old 08-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #135
Bus Crazy

Today was a short day of work. Shawn and I removed the last of the stuff from the Dodge motorhome. Yahoo! Now Leon can come and pick it up.

I thought of setting up a photo shoot of the bedroom area today, but after doing the final dismantling of the Dodge, and Shawn leaving for the day, I took an afternoon nap.

Well, maybe that was not such a good idea, because I was awakened by a strange dream. Oh yes, in the dream, there were faces, computer screens, more faces, more computers screens. What woke me up was an insistent request (or observation).

The BIG question was, Sure Rudy, where are the bedroom photos that you promised?. It was a little frightening. So I said to myself, "what have I created?".

Fear not, fellow bus devotees. Tomorrow is also another one of my days off from work. So I will get on some website that offers free ass kickings, therefore inspiring me to get those pictures uploaded.

Hey, if you are close to middle Tenn, and are willing to prod me along for free, send me an email. rootseller333@gmail.com

There will be some more to the Blue Bird postings. Eventually, it will be finished. I will keep you up to date on the rest of the building, and the systems (electrical and plumbing) that have to be completed.

By the way, thanks for all who have found interest in the "show and tell".
Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #136
Bus Crazy

As promised, here are some pictures of the bedroom area of the bus.

First, though, I must tell you what I learned today. NEVER buy cheap brand AA batteries. Oh sure, they will work in my LED flashlights, but I realize now that my digital camera is a power hog and wants only the best fuel,(Eveready or the Copper Top batteries).

I was able to squeeze enough juice out of the batteries in there to get a few shots. I thought that my camera was dying today. I am still not sure that it isn't. I'll go get the expensive batteries and see. For now, here are a few pics.

This is the shelf you saw early on. It is above the bed. Notice that we also put a little shelf underneath it. It will house my alarm clock, dirty socks, a couple packs of cigarettes, and perhaps my umbrella.

The cabinet doors are now installed. As I mentioned before, I "painted" the stain on those to make it look like the flooring boards.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #137
Bus Crazy

Same stuff, but now looking rearward. The side wall of the bus had been insulated with "Stanley" insulation and now, you see, it has been carpeted with that grey trunk mat carpeting that is on the ceiling. I used canned spray glue.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #138
Bus Crazy

A view looking forward.

Here you see one of the original closets, and one of the privacy curtains. I screwed the curtain track in first, and then we tucked the ceiling carpet into the sides of the rail with a screwdriver. You may notice that some of the dark trim, next to the right side pillow, has been trimmed back. That is so that I can lift the floor of the bed up to access the water tank and pump. I will stain that cut part a dark stain.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #139
Bus Crazy

Well, it is later than I thought. I will have more bedroom pics for you tomorrow. It's time to count sheep. What am I thinking? There are no sheep here. OK. I'll go cut some zees. Wait, do I need a carbide saw for that? I think that I am getting giddy! OOPS, I just fell off my chair. I knew I should have bought one with arms. Gotta go.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #140
Bus Crazy

Another view looking forward.

You see the privacy curtain, the original cabinet on the right, and the black curtain is for the large clothes closet I built. On top of the clothes closet is a big shelf. If I had ten fishing poles, they would fit on that shelf.

Standing in the kitchen, looking forward.

The black curtain is for the clothes closet. The stained plywood door opens up to reveal five drawers that I made. Pictures of that will be coming when I get some good batteries for the digital camera.

This is the door to the drawers. On the left is the black curtain for the clothes closet. It was easier to put a curtain rail up than make closet doors. Besides, the curtain was free.

In the spirit of the "Rolling Homes" approach, I have tried to blend the free materials I have gotten with the stuff I had to buy. The bus cost me $3000, and I have about $3000 in the materials and paying Shawn to work with me. I must save some more duckets though, because upcoming is the plumbing and electrical. This bus build has pretty much been carpentry up to this point. I will take lots of photos of hooking up the systems, which is starting next week. (propane lines)