Old 09-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #101
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
And some more pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tape.jpg (71.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg rooftop.JPG (344.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg riveting.JPG (84.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg acbottom.jpg (71.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg myarmsaretired.jpg (103.9 KB, 31 views)
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #102
Bus Nut

The finished product:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg actop.jpg (80.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #103
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Working on a bus indoors.

No fair.

Keep the pics coming.

Nat
I wish it was in a nice air conditioned shop, but it was just under a little covered parking area on the side of a shop. The shade was nice though. Didn't keep me from being soaked in sweat all day though.

The guy who owns the storage unit I park at told me to park it under there on the concrete so I wouldn't get his forklift stuck.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #104
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Looks great. Did the forklift guy say you might as well just keep the bus there in the shade a while? You know, just in case the fork lift comes in handy again?

Count my vote as "nay" for buying used electrical stuff, especially outlets. If they've been mistreated, or even just heavily used, the contacts inside will lose their spring and not hold your plugs securely. That's annoying, but it's also a fire hazard. It'd be hard to use more than about 5 in a bus anyway so I vote for splurging and getting the 70-cent new outlets. Or, if you're feeling really luxurious, the nylon commercial grade models that have screw termination with the little saddle bracket under the screw. Those are really nice to install and to use, but they're also in the US$5 neighborhood.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #105

Rated Cap: 20
Hey, that's me in some of those pictures!!

UsAndaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #106
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: all American
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 84
Hey,
I was wondering what A/C brand did you use on your bus?

Thanks
Brady78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #107
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady78 View Post
Hey,
I was wondering what A/C brand did you use on your bus?

Thanks
It's a 15,000 BTU Dometic.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #108
Bus Nut

We're coming up on the deadline for having the bus livable. 4-5 more weekends until the opening day of hunting season. We had a lot going on this weekend, so I wasn't able to get much done. I framed the bed and set up the electrical box so I can install it and start running wiring.

Then I was paralyzed by choices. I've got a little cable feed through port for an RV, so I can just pull the cable out and plug in wherever I'm at. So I need to locate the electrical box somewhere I can feed the cable. I'm torn between putting the electrical box under the bed or under the dining room bench by the driver's seat. Putting it under the bed seems like the logical choice. I can access the panel from the rear emergency exit. There's plenty of space for when I'm wiring the box. The only problem is that looks like it'll be a great place to put some drawers, and I'd hate to waste good storage space on that. Putting it under the bench by the driver's seat doesn't waste as much storage space. I won't be putting drawers on that bench (I just have a hatch to access under the bench. The only problem is it's pretty cramped up there and it'll be a PITA when I'm wiring everything).

Here's another schedule:

October 1-4: Wiring/electrical (contemplate light fixtures, but not critical at this point. Run wiring for future light fixtures, but don't hook up to electrical box)

October 7-11: Install toilet/hot water heater

October 15-18: Install shower/plumbing (contemplate sinks, but not critical at this point. Install water lines for future sinks, but blank them off and wait to install sinks in the spring)

October 21-25: Build bathroom walls and do some moderate finishing work (insulate walls and install paneling)

Last week of October: Get new tires

November 4th: Drive the bus to its home for hunting season
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bed.JPG (403.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #109
Bus Nut

I made some progress last weekend. I got the electrical box installed and ran a couple of circuits. I decided to install the box under the bed where I can reach it from the rear exit door. Under the bed is a convenient place to run wiring to either side of the bus. And being accessible from the rear exit door should make trouble shooting relatively easy.

Unfortunately, I didn't leave enough wire to reach from the air conditioner to the breaker box under the bed. I'm a few feet too short. I've got a small electrical box with a blank faceplate. I'll mount that under the bed and use some wire nuts to add some more wire.

On Sunday we had some people come to take a look at the bus. I'd met them on the Facebook Skoolie group. They live here in the Houston area and are considering converting a school bus for extended vacations/trips across the country. They must really like each other. I can't imagine cramming two adults and four children into a bus for months at a time. I'll probably feel differently when we have children though.

It cooled down quite a bit this weekend. It was a tad chilly when I was working on Saturday morning. But it's supposed to get 90+ today. I might realistically end up needing a heater and an air conditioner in the same day.

I'm still behind schedule. This bus will probably end up being an ugly sheet metal tent on wheels for hunting season. I can live with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooling down.jpg (153.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg electrical box.jpg (120.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #110
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
As long as it's still driveable, life is good.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote