Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Have to agree with Nat, that bed looks really comfy
Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #132
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
I've been doing little projects on the bus this hunting season. The bus is nice enough to live in right now, but isn't ready for any camp grounds yet. I can get little projects done here and there on the weekends though. I'm not making nearly as much progress as I did when the bus was close to home.

On Friday I went up to Oklahoma. Someone I know through the Facebook Skoolie group saw a bus being scrapped at a junkyard near his home in Missouri. He got me a new back door for my bus. The old one I had was rusted through and I'd patched it with some tiger fuzz to keep the water out. He'd sold a truck to a guy from Oklahoma and convinced him to take the bus door closer to me in Texas. It cost me $50 in gas and a 6 hour drive out of my way to go and pick up this door behind his shop in Oklahoma. That's probably cheaper and less time than it would've taken me to either find a door closer to home or fix the door I had, so I'd say it was a good deal.

I installed the new door this weekend and built a counter top for my bathroom. I'll probably hit up the ReStore this week and try to find a sink for the bathroom. That's probably my next project. I put my low point drains for the hot and cold water lines under the sink. I can drain all of the water out of my hot water heater and hot/cold water lines down the sink drain. But I need to install the sink so I can have something to hook the drains up to.

I left a small electric oil filled radiator heater running in the bathroom. Hopefully that'll keep my water lines from freezing this week while I'm gone. I've got a couple of electric heaters in the bus, and they kept the bus warm enough to be somewhat comfortable. It dipped into the 20s for about 5-6 hours overnight this weekend. My water hose froze, and it got into the 50s in the bus. I rolled up the frozen hose and put it in the bus to thaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new door.jpg (80.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg New and Old Door.jpg (153.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg frozen hose.jpg (104.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bathroom counter.jpg (140.1 KB, 8 views)
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:07 AM   #133
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey...Tomball is not supposed to get that cold except for two hours in February every 11 years.

So much for global warming.

Sweet deal on the door.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #134
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey...Tomball is not supposed to get that cold except for two hours in February every 11 years.

So much for global warming.

Sweet deal on the door.
The bus isn't in Tomball anymore (technically, my storage unit is in Houston, so the only time it was ever parked in Tomball was the night I bought it and parked it at my house). I took it to my dad's land in the hill country for hunting season. It's about 125 miles west of Austin until January/February.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #135
Bus Nut

This incremental work stuff is slightly frustrating. It's nice to have a place of my own out in the hill country during hunting season, but I kinda wish I had the bus here at home so I could work on it more without having to make a 10 hour round trip road trip.

This weekend I installed the bathroom sink. I made a template out of cardboard and used it to mark the hole in the countertop so I could cut it with the scroller saw. It was almost a perfect fit, but I had to make the hole a bit bigger because of the faucet hardware. I made the (first) trip to the local hardware store so I could get the plumbing parts to connect my sink and make a drain. I had everything I needed for the faucets, but the drain parts weren't right, so I had to make another trip for that. Then my hole saw wasn't the right size to cut the hole in the floor for my drain pipe, so I ended up putting a pot under the sink drain as a temporary fix. I have a somewhat complicated set-up for my low point drain. It took several fittings for me to go from 1/2" CPVC to 1-1/2" PVC. I thought I needed a P-Trap to go through my floor, but I didn't know a P trap went into a wall. I wanted something to go through the floor, so I ended up going back and getting something called an S-Trap. It's basically a P-Trap with another elbow on it. The guy at the plumbing store said they don't put those in houses anymore because it's against a lot of building codes, but I didn't really understand the reason why. It took some effort, but eventually the plumbing store guy was able to find me the fittings to go from that drain to 1-1/2" PVC.

I had to cut and reglue the hot water line coming out of the back of the hot water heater because the pipe was too close to my sink basin. I cut it and reglued and hooked up the faucets. I accidentally cross threaded one of the fittings when connecting my cold water line, so I just capped it off and decided I'd only hook up the hot water tap until the hardware store opened in the morning. I turned on the water and looked for leaks. Everything seemed fine, so I fired up the hot water heater. I came back a little bit later and saw a slow drip coming from one of the fittings on the hot water line, so I tightened the fitting. Shortly thereafter, the burner on the hot water heater turned off, and a couple of seconds after that the elbow on the back of my hot water heater blew off hitting me with some hot water (not scalding though) and spilling several gallons on the floor. I rushed outside and shut off the water and cleaned up what I could.

I suppose when I fired up the hot water heater that the glue wasn't quite set yet. It was a relatively cold day and I gave it less than an hour to set before firing up the hot water heater. The hot water heater heats up several inches of the water line just downstream of the water heater. It probably heated up the glue that wasn't quite set on that first elbow. Then when I tightened that fitting it probably loosened that fitting a bit too. When the water heater kicked off, the pipe/tank probably contracted just a bit moving the elbow just enough so it could blow off.

Luckily, I wasn't injured and nothing was irreparably damaged. I replaced the fitting and don't plan on putting any water through it for several days. This weekend I'll finish my sink project by installing the drain line. I originally wanted to get the sink installed because that's where my low point drains are.

*Edit: I just googled the S-trap thing. Apparently an S-trap can easily have its water siphoned away. That's not a concern for me in the bus. I don't have a trap under the shower yet, but I may eventually. The S-trap for me is mostly about catching stuff my wife drops down the sink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sink.jpg (79.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg blowout.jpg (87.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #136
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Sounds like good progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
I thought I needed a P-Trap to go through my floor, but I didn't know a P trap went into a wall. I wanted something to go through the floor, so I ended up going back and getting something called an S-Trap. It's basically a P-Trap with another elbow on it. The guy at the plumbing store said they don't put those in houses anymore because it's against a lot of building codes, but I didn't really understand the reason why.
I can answer this one. S-traps are no longer up-to-code because the flow and weight of the water falling past the S-trap can - under the right conditions - create a siphon that will pull all of the water out of the trap. This is nearly impossible with P-traps.

Have you looked into the Hepvo waterless traps? They pop up all over skoolie.net. A bit pricey, though.

EDIT: I just read the above edit about the S-trap. Duplicate info now.. Ah well. No harm, I'm sure
Old 12-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #137
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
The sink install looks nice...plumbing for me sounds like you...I always can plan on 3 trips to the hardware store.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #138

Have you got this back in Tomball? Im at 249 and Northpointe, just getting the itch for doing one of these...
machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #139
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine View Post
Have you got this back in Tomball? Im at 249 and Northpointe, just getting the itch for doing one of these...
It'll be in the hill country until sometime early next year. Hopefully I'll have it back by February/March. I'm gonna have my mechanic out there do some brake work and maybe weld my muffler back on before I bring it back. He's cheaper and I trust him more than any mechanic here in Houston.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #140
Bus Nut

This weekend me and my dad made a special hunting trip. It was the 12th anniversary of our December 12th (12/12) hunt where I killed a 12 point deer from stand #12. We thought it was gonna be a good weekend, but it was a bit of a disappointment as far as the hunting goes; but I'll get to that.

We installed my S-trap and glued up the two low point drains. We were gonna connect them to the shower drain pipe which drains a few thousand feet into a pond downhill, but we were running out of time, pipe, and fittings to make that happen before the Saturday hunt. I'll get to that next weekend, for this weekend I just drained it onto the ground. The bus kinda looked like it was peeing when I drained it. The whole hot water heater and all of the hot/cold water lines can dump down that drain by opening the two valves under my sink. I'm gonna put a small shelf over that with a removable access hatch.

The problem I ran into is that I don't know how to connect the drain for the sink to the drain for the shower. I can go over the frame between the frame and body but that'll create a trap and I'll have water stuck. The body is connected to the frame right where I'm coming through the floor. I can run down inside the frame rail and come underneath it right at the shower. That's probably what I'll end up doing. I'm not sure how/if I should secure the pipe to the frame. I'm a little concerned about the body moving a small amount relative to the frame and damaging something (more specifically, pushing the drain through my shower pan and cracking it).

My dad gave me an old Keurig, so I now have coffee in the bus. That's important.

So, back to the hunting story. The hunting was horrible this weekend. We saw one deer on Saturday. It was a young 4-point and not worth shooting. Usually we'll see several deer in any given outing, but this was by far the worst weekend in several years. So, on Saturday night we both decided we'd sleep in on Sunday morning. I slept till a little after sunrise. I got up and made some coffee and got back into bed. About the time I was ready to make my second cup of coffee I looked out the window at the foot of my bed and saw this 8 point chasing a doe. He had a tall rack that was pretty narrow, so I figured he was a pretty young deer. I took some pictures and went to fix my coffee. Understand that I'm only wearing boxers and slippers at this point in time. I decided I wanted to get a better look at this deer, so I grab my rifle so I can look through the scope and slowly open the front door. I sit down (still in my boxers/slippers) on the steps of my bus and start looking at this deer through the scope. I noticed his rack is much heavier than most of the deer I've seen in the last few years despite how narrow and tall it was. His neck was swollen, his hocks were dark, and he was very obviously in rut. He was a much older deer than I initially thought. I decided he was a deer worth taking, so I chambered a round. The deer didn't run off when my fat white butt sat down on the steps, but the second he heard that round getting chambered he threw up his tail and took off running.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to see if I can see him next weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low Point Drain.jpg (121.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Draining.jpg (121.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg COFFEEEEE.jpg (79.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Deer.jpg (42.7 KB, 9 views)