Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by machine View Post
Have you got this back in Tomball? Im at 249 and Northpointe, just getting the itch for doing one of these...
Hey Machine, my wife and I are also getting ready to get a bus to convert into full time living. I'm right at 249 and FM1960. Lets keep in touch so we can swap ideas.

Eric
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #142
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
It's been four weeks since my last update, so I guess it's about time again.

We had a successful hunting season. The bus functioned well as a spare bedroom/bathroom. Now it's time to get the bus back to Houston.

I needed to get some work done on my truck this weekend, and I needed to make some final additions to the bus before dropping it off at the mechanic's shop for a couple weeks. I have a mechanic out in the hill country that I trust to do a lot of work.

My wife made some curtains for the back window just to try an idea out, so I put those up.

I added a door stop made out of a hinge to keep the door from locking when going in and out of the bus. My old stopper was just a ball of duct tape. I like this one much better. I also clamped on a CPVC cap to the bar that connects my door to the handle. When the door handle crosses that bar the door can't be closed from outside. The stopper stops the door handle from crossing that bar.

I also added some locks to the handicapped and emergency exit doors. My mechanic's shop is right next door to a bus stop and I figured nosey vagrants might try to sleep in my bed or poop in my toilet. I drilled the screw heads off just in case someone had a screwdriver on their pocket knife. I guess a somewhat athletic person could still climb in through the window though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door stop.jpg (139.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg door stopper.jpg (109.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg door stopper in action.jpg (102.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Lock.jpg (78.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg drilled screw heads.jpg (61.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Curtains.JPG (80.7 KB, 2 views)
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #143
Bus Nut

My dad got some pretty good bus pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bus and valley.jpg (140.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Bus Sunset.JPG (183.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Chasing Sunsets.JPG (195.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Down the Hill.JPG (163.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Leaving the Gate.JPG (215.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #144
Bus Nut

I'll probably be back to pick up the bus in a couple of weeks. The mechanic didn't seem to think it'd take that long, but that's what my schedule allows.

I'm having my mechanic look at the brakes. I had a pretty bad brake problem the day we bought the bus, so I'd like to make sure those are in good shape. There was also allegedly a leak somewhere with the brakes (according to the guy who sold it to me).

Hopefully my mechanic can weld my exhaust pipe back to the muffler too. It's not a huge problem. I noticed when it was cold and I started it after sitting for 10 weeks that I had some white smoke coming out of the exhaust (at the back of the bus, so some of the exhaust is going all the way through). When I hit the accelerator hard there was some black smoke, but once the bus warmed up all the smoke went away.

I'm also having the oil changed and I'll get him to put synthetic fluid in the transmission. Hopefully the synthetic fluid will hold up a little better at higher temperatures. I may consider swapping for a better transmission or getting a cooler for my transmission at some point in the future.

The mechanic is also gonna replace the sending unit for my temperature gauge. It spikes occasionally and I have to tap on the gauge to get it to go back to normal.

He's also gonna give the bus a good once-over to spot any other mechanical issues I may have. Once he give us a clean bill of health I'll be confident driving it on long trips.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #145
Bus Nut

Once the bus is back in Houston I'll have about 4 months to make it pretty. Our next goal is to have it pretty looking and somewhat nice to camp in by Memorial Day weekend. Every Memorial Day weekend we go up to Oklahoma for my wife's family reunion. This year we'll be taking our bus. We bought the bus the weekend after Memorial Day 2015, so I guess that'll be our one year bus-iversary.

Here's a preliminary list of the things we need to complete before then:

-Seal windows (I've got leaks and now is the best time to fix them)

-Fresh water tank/pump/12V electrical (we can't camp at that campground Memorial Day weekend without fresh water tanks and a pump. They don't allow you to stay hooked up to their water for any longer than the time it takes to fill up your fresh water tank)

-Black/gray tanks (I can't keep using this portable thing forever)

-Finish insulation and wall paneling (since I haven't actually done much paneling so far, I may be able to go back and take out most of the interior sheet metal and insulate better)

-Finish up electrical and install lighting (right now I've only got one circuit connected to the 120V system and no lighting. we've got some nice 120V mason jar lights we're gonna make. I also think I need to contemplate some 12V auxiliary lighting for when we're not connected to AC power)

-Finish out shower stall (right now it's just plastic shower curtains taped up. I think we're gonna go with some sort of corrugated metal design for the shower stall. We also need to come up with a better way to hang the shower curtain)

-Bathroom door (I keep saying I'll get around to it)

-Vinyl flooring (I've gotten several splinters in my feet from the OSB floor this hunting season. Also, my wife wants it to look pretty and she doesn't like the OSB floor)

-Counter top for bathroom sink (the current counter top is also OSB)

-Finish out dining area (my wife is getting excited about the table top and cushions she gets to make look pretty)

-Safely anchor my wife's passenger seat and seat belt

-Build cabinets/storage areas under the bathroom sink, under the bed, under the dining area, and under my wife's passenger seating area

-Make curtains for the windows

-Body work/prep/paint the exterior of the bus

-Paint/trim for the interior of the bus

-If there's time left, contemplate the kitchen area (I'd like to at least have a fridge and a place to put the coffee pot, but a stove/oven/microwave would be nice too)

I'm sure there are plenty of other things that belong on this list. Progress has been slow these past ten weeks because of hunting season and the 5 hour drive I had to make to work on the bus. Hopefully work will pick up again once I've got the bus back home.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #146
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
So is the freezer full now?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #147
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
So is the freezer full now?
I think I have enough to make about 40-50 pounds of sausage. I got a little 8 point this season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer.jpg (69.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg eight point.jpg (185.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #148
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Nice, I haven't had any venison in a couple years.
Good to see yall using and enjoying that bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #149
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Love venison sausage...but save the backstrap. It's too good to get ground up.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #150
Bus Nut

I don't grind the backstrap. We usually batter and deep fry it like little medallions of chicken fried steak