Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

If you have steel spring suspension the larger tires should fit.

You will need to watch clearance issues with both the top of the fender well and front wheel rubbing at 100% left or right turn.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
I dropped the bus off at the local high school on Monday (my wife knows the shop teacher). The kids in shop class were supposed to take the seats out (it's the last week of school and they're not doing anything). They just played around in the bus yesterday. They only got one seat out, but every little bit helps. Maybe they'll take out another today.

I've been playing around with layouts in Visio. This is what I've come up with so far. The measurements are close, but not quite what they'll be when it comes time to construct stuff. Visio's standard box is a framed 2x4 and I'll probably use 2x2s.

We're thinking of elevating the bedroom area. There will be two different elevations. The first step up gets us above the wheel well (with just enough standing height in the middle where I won't hit my head. The second step is the small walkway on either side of the bed. Hatch type storage and maybe some drawers under the floor in the elevated areas. Also maybe some storage in the dead space behind the bathroom wall and kitchen cabinets.

The bathroom is small, but about the size of the one in the camper we stayed in a little over a week ago. I'm thinking we'll have a sliding door that slides inside of the bathroom wall.

It'd be nice to have a dining area that can convert into a twin bed over the front driver side wheel well. The extra counter space is nice. We don't have any kid(s) right now, but when we do in the future they'll need a place to sleep. It'd also be nice to have an extra bed in case someone wants to tag along on our adventures.

My wife would like a place to sit with a small bookshelf over the other front wheel well. I'm thinking of putting some kind of swivel armchair there.

I'd like to keep the side door (handicapped door). I've got the wheelchair lift on Craigslist right now. If it doesn't sell I'll have to think up something cool to do with it. I'll put some RV style folding steps at that door so we can use it as an entry/exit. The rear exit door will not be useable in this configuration.

There will be room under the queen bed for a very large potable water tank. The elevated bed area makes for a convienent and easy place to run water lines and wiring.

I'll probably mount the gray water tank under the bus and behind the rear axle. The black tank will be directly underneath the toilet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bus layout.jpg (135.4 KB, 155 views)
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
I've been playing around with layouts in Visio. This is what I've come up with so far. The measurements are close, but not quite what they'll be when it comes time to construct stuff. Visio's standard box is a framed 2x4 and I'll probably use 2x2s.
I don't know how much you've played around with Visio, but you can adjust the properties of the individual wall stencils. Its how I set up my floor plan as well (including using the other stencils for the cabinets and furnishings, and imported image files) although I did use the standard box room box for the outline.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
I don't know how much you've played around with Visio, but you can adjust the properties of the individual wall stencils. Its how I set up my floor plan as well (including using the other stencils for the cabinets and furnishings, and imported image files) although I did use the standard box room box for the outline.
I've been using the standard box room box for everything. Drawing individual walls seemed tedious when I started. I know how to change the setting for the walls, but not for the standard box room.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I've been using the standard box room box for everything. Drawing individual walls seemed tedious when I started. I know how to change the setting for the walls, but not for the standard box room.
Its a tedious that's necessary, while unfortunate, gives you a lot of flexibility. Once you get the outline in, with the box tool, you can then draw the individual walls, and edit their properties to suit what you need, like wall widths and heights. This way it gives you, visually, a better sense of scale and space in the floor plan. I had to get really familiar with Visio for setting up signal-secure secure rooms in my Guard Squadron.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Its a tedious that's necessary, while unfortunate, gives you a lot of flexibility. Once you get the outline in, with the box tool, you can then draw the individual walls, and edit their properties to suit what you need, like wall widths and heights. This way it gives you, visually, a better sense of scale and space in the floor plan. I had to get really familiar with Visio for setting up signal-secure secure rooms in my Guard Squadron.
I'm basically using it like a fancy version of Microsoft Paint right now. I like that it'll give dimensions easily. I could probably do it in AutoCAD, but I'm not particularly familiar with that either.

What's this about heights? Can Visio give me a 3D rendering?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'm basically using it like a fancy version of Microsoft Paint right now. I like that it'll give dimensions easily. I could probably do it in AutoCAD, but I'm not particularly familiar with that either.

What's this about heights? Can Visio give me a 3D rendering?
Visio is 2D only. But the drawing can be saved into a .dwg file to be imported into AutoCAD or earlier versions of SketchUp, for a 3D render. Neither of which I've had much luck (or patience) with.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Last night we ordered new tail lights and took out a few seats. The tail lights should be in on Friday. Dropped the bus off at the school again. It's the last day of school today. Hopefully the shop kids get around to taking out some more seats for me. I'm hoping they get ambitious and weld the muffler too!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Some observations about your floor plan in no particular order.

Kitchen seems really small, sink,refrigerator,stove top,microwave?

50 inches for a new entryway? You lost that much wall space when you already have an entry in front of where you show the bookcase. I know it's pretty conventional, but having the passenger seat mounted right at the rear edge of the front stairwell works well. The passenger is only about 10 inches to the rear of the driver, which I don't find uncomfortable for conversation.

19 inches is really small for a walkway.

An RV toilet is roughly 21 inches from the wall and 15 inches wide, do you have enough room for your knees?

That 34 inches in front of the bed looks like wasted space, if the idea is to use it to get to the side of the bed, you can't use the wall space. Wall space is valuable. If you use a RV queen (60x75) you could turn the bed 90 deg. and have room to walk around it. You could still have the water tank under it and not have the raised floor. Use the gained wall space for closet on one side and make the kitchen bigger on the other. You would also have access to that rear door for emergencies.

Where are you going to store clean clothes? Where are you going to store dirty clothes? Where are you going to store food?

Since every inch is valuable, I would suggest you make any wall you construct out of 3/4 inch plywood. It is strong enough to mount anything you might need and you would gain about 1 1/2 inches in space.

Neither my wife or I am very big, things just seem crowded. I have used, and hate a 32 inch shower.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
Bus Nut

The kitchen area is probably just gonna be a small fridge under a small sink. Perhaps a microwave mounted above the window.

The passenger seat is mounted at the rear edge of the front wheel well. The existing door will remain operational. The "new" entryway is the existing handicapped/wheelchair lift door. I'd like to keep that open/available so I have two points of entry/exit. The bookcase will go in front of the front wheel well (and probably have a new handrail mounted on it).

The toilet shown is 18" x 20" with 12" of floor in front of it. I may want it a little wider just for comfort, but it should work. My knees may push in the shower curtain a bit. I hate the 32" shower too, but any wider and I'll be eating up the already limited aisle space or whatever is across the aisle from the bathroom.

19" is pretty small for a walkway, but the existing one is 12"

I like the idea of an RV queen bed turned sideways. I want access to the rear door, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I'll have to look into that some more.

I was planning on some storage for the dead space between the bathroom and bed. Not sure how that'll look. Maybe some hatch type storage underneath the elevated floor areas with some drawers under the bed. The raised floor idea was a way to deal with the wheel wells. But if I go with the sideways RV bed I can redesign the bathroom to put the cabinets/sink over the wheel well with a toilet in the middle and a 32"X40" shower pan. Then put a closet over the rest of the wheel well on the other side of the bathroom wall.

I still run into a slight wheel well problem. I have to get over the wheel well to walk around the foot of the bed. I could just have a smaller elevated area with a step up to walk around the bed.

But with access to the rear door, I don't need the side chair lift door anymore. I could use that space and forget about getting any utility out of the side door. Or I could think up a cool convertible indoor/outdoor swing-out kitchen.

And now that the kitchen is longer I can make it narrower and make that main walkway wider.

Thanks for the input. It helps to have some other people look at things to help come up with good ideas.