Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #121
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Re: Big Bertha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach

You have done a lot to keep the cold out. I hope you have made provisions for vapor barriers. I would hate to see all of that spray foam get water soaked from condensation.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
With spray foam a vapour barrier is not needed. It is only used when the insulation materiel itself is breathable.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #122
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 6CT8.3
Rated Cap: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach
You have done some real quality work on your project.

Personally I don't like dark wood stains and would have gone with a much lighter color. But it is your project and not mine.

You have done a lot to keep the cold out. I hope you have made provisions for vapor barriers. I would hate to see all of that spray foam get water soaked from condensation.

I hope you left access panels for the different holes that went through the floor from the factory. The most important is the access to the top of the fuel tank. You don't want to have to drop the tank if you ever have an issue with the fuel pick up or fuel sender.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
Thanks for your comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Thanks for the really great update. Personally, I am pleased to know that there are still younger people who are willing to work until their dreams come true. You are setting a mark of excellence for those who follow. Hang on to each other and keep up the good work. Jack
Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #123
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71

Hi,
Love your build, nice to see a couple both so committed to the project. I love the electrical work that you did, that's one area that I still have a lot to learn, is there something that you referenced to learn bout the wiring process, 12v and 110v? Please be sure to read HandyBob's solar blog, the charging puzzle, there are important things to consider before installing: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the ... -puzzle-2/. I too have become very interested in the composting toilet.
Tom
Old 12-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #124
Almost There

I referenced Black & Decker's Complete Guide to Wiring to gain a basic familiarity with 120VAC wiring.

This series of articles helped with my understanding of DC systems:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago87.html

...specifically Jeffery Yago's articles.

This is another good resource:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

Basically just understand that your skoolie will be comprised of a 120v system, a DC chassis system and a DC house system. The three should remain separate, for the most part, except when inverting from a battery bank. You can google "basic automotive wiring" or "basic 12VDC" or something along those lines, familiarize yourself with the basics, then go to a local used bookstore and pick up a book or two on basic residential wiring and familiarize yourself with that. Spend some time looking at other people's builds too. You don't have to limit yourself to skoolies. There is a wealth of information on coach conversion forums, as converting coaches is a much more common and "accepted" practice. Try googling "coach coversion wiring".

Also, do your own research on stranded vs solid and make your own educated decision. Having said that, it's generally agreed on that by itself, stranded wire is superior. The problem is that residential electrical components are designed almost exclusively with solid romex in mind. It's not a dealbreaker, you just have to make sure you're making quality connections when you use stranded wire. That means correctly sized ring and spade terminals crimped with a correctly sized crimping tool. That's just my example, like I said, do your own research!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #125
Bus Nut

Thank you didn't think of looking at Coach conversions. Based on what I've read I'm going stranded as well.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #126
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65

Great build!
Loving the woodworking and team-building aspects of this project ;)

Have a couple questions: what kind of toilet did you go with? I like the looks of it, but I've found most are super expensive.

Also, I see you went with tigerfoam. Is that closed-cell? How many inches of thickness did you go with and how many board feet did you end up needing? Did you use it in the wall, too, or just the ceilings?

Extension cords for wiring? What gauge/brand did you decide on?

Awesome work. You're ahead of me and I can't wait to start seeing walls go up in my bus!

Keep it up!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #127
Almost There

Our toilet is "Nature's Head" composting toilet. Expensive, but their competitors sell an inferior (many bad reviews on the SunMar counterpart) product at twice the price.

We ended up needing 1800 bd/ft of foam, around $2200 in total, and we still have areas which aren't sprayed. Keep in mind that your coverage will depend on your skill and patience. We had bags and bags of waste shavings. We will probably order more. Tiger foam offers open cell and closed cell, we went with closed. Our thermal break on the ceiling was made with 1x2 lumber, so the thickest areas are about 3-1/4" thick.

Our 12awg wire (for all 20amp circuits) is US Wire & Cable and our 14awg (15amp circuits) is Utilitech, a china import sold at Lowe's. FWIW, the china wire had much softer insulation, which made it much easier to split and strip. US Wire cords are far superior for their intended purpose, but are a bear to install. The insulation is so tough that at times I wondered if I was damaging the wires trying to get it off.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #128
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65

Awesome, thanks for that info!
I ended up getting a great deal on some poly-iso boards that are 3" thick so I think I'll be using those in the floor and walls, but I might splurge for some spray for the ceiling and front and end caps and other funky areas.
Did you end up spray-foaming the floor as well? I'm also curious if you ended up doing multiple passes with the spray foam, how long in between layers did you have to wait?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm about to start laying insulation so I'm doing some last minute R&D!

I like the looks of that nature's head unit--I've got a couple months before I have to cross that line and my original plan was a 5gal bucket and sawdust--which ain't so bad, but I'm curious if it's worth it, if I can do better.

When is your move-in goal?

Lookin good!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #129
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_bertha
Our toilet is "Nature's Head" composting toilet. Expensive, but their competitors sell an inferior (many bad reviews on the SunMar counterpart) product at twice the price.

We ended up needing 1800 bd/ft of foam, around $2200 in total, and we still have areas which aren't sprayed. Keep in mind that your coverage will depend on your skill and patience. We had bags and bags of waste shavings. We will probably order more. Tiger foam offers open cell and closed cell, we went with closed. Our thermal break on the ceiling was made with 1x2 lumber, so the thickest areas are about 3-1/4" thick.

Our 12awg wire (for all 20amp circuits) is US Wire & Cable and our 14awg (15amp circuits) is Utilitech, a china import sold at Lowe's. FWIW, the china wire had much softer insulation, which made it much easier to split and strip. US Wire cords are far superior for their intended purpose, but are a bear to install. The insulation is so tough that at times I wondered if I was damaging the wires trying to get it off.
Just a heads up... call around to your local contractors first. We almost went with Tiger Foam or Foam It Green after getting a REALLY high quote. I was persistent and every other quote came in less than what we could do it ourselves for. We ended up finding an excellent contractor who was very informative up front. They sprayed our bus with 2 3/4" of closed cell foam AND shaved it down flush with our furring strips for $1500. This was just over a month ago.

No intention to hijack Big Bertha. I love following your build!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467346

www.LiveLoveTravelDream.com
White99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #130
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by White99z
Just a heads up... call around to your local contractors first. We almost went with Tiger Foam or Foam It Green after getting a REALLY high quote. I was persistent and every other quote came in less than what we could do it ourselves for. We ended up finding an excellent contractor who was very informative up front. They sprayed our bus with 2 3/4" of closed cell foam AND shaved it down flush with our furring strips for $1500. This was just over a month ago.

No intention to hijack Big Bertha. I love following your build!
I second this. I went with Foam It Green. It worked out in the end, but having a professional do the job would have cost about the same and been a better install. Not to mention, the DIY tank kits can only be applied in warmer weather. The contractors machines can do it in the freezing cold.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #131
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
It worked out in the end, but having a professional do the job would have cost about the same and been a better install.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on insulation. It worked, but I don't recommend DIY after hearing some of the quotes people have gotten. Having to heat the tanks up sucks. Paying for shipping sucks. Trimming the excess sucks, and watching the excess collect in bags sucks, when you realize that you paid top dollar to literally short-change yourself by substituting your own lack of experience and skill for professional work. I have been humbled in many ways since starting this project, but one of the biggest things I've learned is that outsourcing isn't always bad or wrong.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #132
Bus Crazy

Outsourcing is not a bad thing if the outsourcing can be done at less expense, particularly if the cost is close to what the materials will cost for you to do the job.

Paying for an expert to do something better at less expense is never a bad thing. Plus, if you can watch what they do you may learn enough to be able to do it yourself later or have your fears validated that one should jot attempt certain things.

I have found that unless you really know what you are doing and have the tools to do it many times it is better to pay someone else to do the job. Many times the professional will also give a warranty on their work and materials so if something fails you are not out the expense a second time.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #133
Almost There

In the end, neither of us liked this pattern or this color. So we're painting over it and trying something different.

Finally! Wall plates!

Still lots to do in the bedrooms next weekend. Stay tuned!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #134
Bus Crazy

Looking good! I don't understand the slats on the bed, though.. What are they for?
Your the first person that I've noticed on here using crown molding in a bus! I never even thought of it.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #135
Bus Nut

Hi again,

I've noticed that you kept the original windows which I plan to do too, I like the bus look. I have my seats out and side panels down and was ready to start on the floor but noticed that I have some leakage from a couple of windows. Did you re-seal your windows? From what I'm seeing Henry 212 seems to be a good product for this purpose. Problem is that it's cold now here in CT and they advise application at 40F or higher and I'm impatient. Advise is always welcome.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #136
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nebuchadnezzar
Hi again,

I've noticed that you kept the original windows which I plan to do too, I like the bus look. I have my seats out and side panels down and was ready to start on the floor but noticed that I have some leakage from a couple of windows. Did you re-seal your windows? From what I'm seeing Henry 212 seems to be a good product for this purpose. Problem is that it's cold now here in CT and they advise application at 40F or higher and I'm impatient. Advise is always welcome.

Thanks,
Tom
I've said it before, but the solution is Supra Expert (if you can get your hands on it). As long as the tube is kept warm so it can flow, it can be applied down to -30°C (-22°F). Data sheet
It doesn't "tool" well, though. You pretty much have to get the application of it correct and beautiful the first time. Using a finger to smooth it out doesn't work well.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #137
Bus Nut

Thanks Jazty, I'll scout around and see if I can find some.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #138
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
Looking good! I don't understand the slats on the bed, though.. What are they for?
Your the first person that I've noticed on here using crown molding in a bus! I never even thought of it.
Thanks ...the slats are just for a little extra give. Originally, my wife was concerned about mold/mildew problems having a mattress directly on a flat surface, because of a bad experience with a mattress on a concrete floor. We debated whether it was necessary, did some research, and ended up going with slats just to be safe. I don't think it matters for mold, but it does make a noticeable difference comfort-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nebuchadnezzar
Hi again,

Thanks,
Tom
Wish I could help, but none of my windows leak. A couple seams in the sheet metal DO leak. Blue tarp for now!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #139
Almost There

Here we go again.

The folding desks are Ikea norbo, and rationell drawers are from now-defunct akurum kitchen series. Ikea decided to transition to their new (and incompatible) "sektion" kitchen system just in time for us to be finished installing the old one. I don't know how to feel about this yet, but it isn't good.

We also laid down some "grass" carpet in the kids' bunks, although it looks more like we installed a couple pool tables instead. The whole deep green and walnut theme makes the kids' room look a bit like a lawyer's office, so we're hoping some stark white trim and all the kids' stuff will brighten things up. This is about the point at which we started getting worried things were becoming too dark and made some changes to our plan.

We also noticed some areas in the bathroom where the spray foam hadn't stuck completely to the metal, and heavy condensation was building up in the gap. We were going to haggle TigerFoam for some replacement foam, but gave up under the enormous pressure to continue construction, and decided to fill it with some Great Stuff. (worked just fine)
Old 02-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #140
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Very nice!!