Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Thanks,

In our shop, the exhaust duct custom made to your specs, (18 ga, fully welded) would probably cost around $100. The louvers custom made to your specs would probably cost around $250-$300. I looked for a pre-made louver that I could use (attic vents, etc.) because I just didn't have the time to fabricate one, but I couldn't find anything suitable so I had to find the time and make it myself. As always, when it's done I'm glad I took the time to do it.

With a little creativity, I think you could make the duct out of foam insulation board, foil taped outside and sealed with silicone or caulk inside. Then use some attic louvers on the outside. Make sure any condensation that may leak will run all the way out of the louver to the outside and it would work fine.

Or......the a/c I used has a pan that collects the condensate and the fan slings it on the coil to evaporate. It has yet to actually overflow and drain out, but in motion, I'm sure it will. My point here is, you could put a drain and a hose in this pan and not worry about the condensate having to exit via the exhaust duct, however you lose some of the efficiency that the water spray on the coil provides, but I think it would be hardly noticeable, as older units didn't even use this feature.

bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Thanks Brad, that helped me make my decision.

I was originally planning to use a regular RV A/C but, I hated having it sitting on the bus.

Again, great job on the install.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #23
Bus Nut

I just figured out I have a 392 instead of a 345. I guess bigger is better in this case. Anyone have experience with this motor (International)?
Old 03-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Well, I'm still at it. It's been about one year since I've started and I am surprised at the progress I've made. It's been a lot of work! my kitchen is in. The dining room booth it in. The bunks are in. The new generator is in. I'll post new pics soon. I finally gave the 392 a tuneup. I received a pleasant surprise when I went to change the points: they have been replaced with a Petronix electronic conversion! I rebuilt the Holley 1850 carburetor. It is running well with the exception of a hesitation off idle, but this is just a tuning issue that I am working on (accelerator squirter and pump cam change) The pump shot is a little lean for the 392. For the first time, I can stop with the bus in gear and the engine idling. This is the first bus I've owned or even driven, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but for a gas motor in something so heavy it feels really strong, I'm impressed. Back to work!
Old 03-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I feel your pain when it comes to being able to idle in gear while stopped. I've driven a few vehicles (I own one in fact) that are like that. Call it a difference in generation, but I'll take fuel injection anyday. Carb gurus will argue that they can fix any carb problem with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. I will argue that that's good because carbs require FAR more maintenance than a multipoint fuel injection system. On top of that, a manual with resistance values and a multimeter are all that's require to work on the injection system on the 22re in my Toyota.

Glad to hear you have it running well again. It might be worth looking into some of the IH Scout forums out there and looking at performance mods now that you have it working right They tend to stroke, destroke, bore, etc to make all kinds of goofy combinations out of those motors. Gas buses are considered the "hot rods" as it is.....might as well make yours a screamer
Old 04-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #26
Skoolie

Bdavis, Love your conversion, it looks great. I am just starting on mine. Thought I would make a post for ya. Check out binderbulletin.org for the info on fuel injecting your IH 392. Dont let anyone tell you it cant be done. I currently run a fuel injected 392 in my scout. It originally came out of a combine. Or you can email me @ scout4x4 @ sbcglobal.net for some info.

Jeff
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Thanks for the compliment. I'll get more pictures up soon, it's come a long way lately. About fuel injection on this motor......I've looked into this a bit and find it very interesting. I assume you are using a GM TBI setup. I have a lot of experience with GM TBI engines and always thought this system would lend itself well to use on other engines. I had a built TBI 350 in a truck that would get 24mpg with a 3.90 gear, so I know it can make power and efficiency. I would love to hear more details on your EFI setup.

BTW, before your EFI conversion, what carb were you using?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:26 PM   #28
Skoolie

Correct, I am using a gm tbi setup with a custom burned chip with the IH distributor curves and fuel charts in it. I am also running a custom fuel tank with an intank fuel pump. Still need to do some more custom burning, but it runs great and has plenty of power for off roading. Before the injection I was running an edelbrock 1406 carb. Anytime I was off camber with it, it stalled.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
how does the Chevy tbi system hold up against say a Projection system in terms of cost? Obviously a person trades some work with your setup for a chunk of change. I'm just curious how big this chunk is....My only real experience is with the toyota MPI system on the 22re. MPI would be a little more difficult to adapt, but the system is still pretty basic and I've often wondered how well it would work in another application....

Atleast I know I'm not alone in not liking to wait for guys to back up a hill because their carb stalls out
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #30
Skoolie

Terms of cost......last I heard, projection was running around $1100.....my junkyard efi system cost me around $300. Including a new in tank fuel pump, new injection pressure line, and laptop adapter. With the projection, only place to get parts is from holley, special order. I can get most any of my parts from the junkyard or from any AZ, Pepboys, O'reilly's, or any place that handles standard gm parts. If for any reason the custom chip goes bad, I can replace it with the gm 350 chip and it will at least get me out of the woods. As I am goin down the road, I can also log data used to fine tune another chip onto my laptop.

I was on my way to my inlaws on Thanksgiving day when my scout left me on the side of the road. The ign module went bad. No place was open that day. My daughter was coming down there a bit later than I was, so she picked me up. Went on down to the inlaws for dinner. Borrowed my sis-in-law's ign module from her 454 chevy truck. Went back and got my scout. Next day went and bought two of them at O'Reily's. If it would have been a Holley system, it would have been 3-5 business days before I could get one.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #31
Bus Nut

I've added 16 images to the gallery. You can now see the rear deck, the custom greywater tank, propane storage, dinette, bathroom and some other stuff. Check it out!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Big Blue is now functional. Not done, but definately usable. Are they ever really done? Anyway, been camping twice now. Having a bathroom and running water are the two single best improvements yet made, especially with three small children. The futon sleeps great, and so do the bunks. Kids LOVE it!!! Electrical system is working perfectly. Back porch is nice to sit on in the evening for a little reading. The 392 is running absolutely great. I still have a list of things to do, but I'll probably not do a lot more this summer since we can comfortably use it now. It's been a year and a half of hard work so far. We'll enjoy it for a while, then I'll jump back in when it cools off a bit. Don't want to get burned out!

Happy bussing
Brad
Old 04-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Hello everyone, I haven't posted in a while. This site sure is growing!!! Anyway, My wife has decided she want's a trailer. So I am considering selling big blue. I really don't want to, but as we all know, if momma's not happy, noone's happy! It's so hard to put a value on something you have so much work in. I'm putting it up for sale here before I try anywhere else in hopes of finding someone who appreciates the time and effort these conversions take. If I list it elsewhere, I'll give it a coat of paint and finish a few other things in order to try for top dollar. As of now I'll sell it as it sits to give a "skoolie" person a little better deal. Look at the gallery pictures (search Big Blue) I'll sell it with the following new items included:
generator
thetford cassette toilet
invertor
battery charger

I'll also include:
Fridge
microwave
futon
propane heater

My point is....I'm not stripping it and selling someone a shell.
It's perfectly useable!!!!!

If anyone is serious, contact me and we'll talk price, or make a reasonable offer. I'll also trade for a 20-26ft. bumper pull camper. I might even trade for a car or truck I can resell.

Thanks everyone, this site is awesome!

Brad Davis mailto:shellnbrad@tds.net
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #34
Bus Nut

I forgot to mention, the bus is in Amo Indiana (30 miles west of downtown Indy) I would be glad to meet with someone here and take as long as you need to show the bus, demonstrate the systems, and explain all of the work done.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Well folks, I've done what I said I'd never do. I have sold Big Blue. It is now the child of a nice gentleman named Dave. It will be on it's way to Iowa tomorrow. I was extremely apprehensive as to what type of buyer I may encounter when I posted this for sale, but I think Dave is the perfect skoolie owner. I couldn't have found a better person to pass her on to. Hopefully he will keep us posted on Blue's adventures. However, I have already started the hunt for a flat front deisel. I can't stand the thought of no bus. As soon as I get through the downtime from upcoming knee surgery. I'll be back at it. Thanks for everyones advice and information, this site was instrumental in the build. Now.......let's do it again!!!!!!!

P.S. Dave if you read this, I hope you and sis had a great trip home!
Good luck.
Brad
Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to DimJim
I'm the proud owner of Big Blue!

Well I'm the guy that bought Big Blue! My name is Dave and I'm pretty pumped up about the many adventures that I have planned with the bus. The bus is located in Des Moines, IA (yes, ANOTHER one!) and will be headed to Tennessee to the Bonnaroo music festival in a couple weeks. I'll try to keep everybody (and especially Brad & his family) posted on the progress and adventures.

DimJim is offline   Reply With Quote