Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Big Blue has a new owner!!!!!!

My first bus conversion is just beginning. The bus is a 1979 wayne bodied international. 345, auto. purchased for $500. I am a metal fabricator by trade, so maybe I can provide some good ideas along the way. I have already learned tons from this forum. I'm doing this as cheap as possible, while still aiming for a nicely done, effective conversion. I'm building as I go with a loose plan, so let's see where this road leads.[/img]

bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SaftLiner
Engine: Cat 3208 Turbo 250HP
Rated Cap: 84
Metal fab? What an awesome skill to have when taking on a skoolie project.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Congratulations

Congratulations! You should be able to come up with some interesting approaches to some of the remodelling projects. Hmmm...a nice stainless steel bar and countertop...some custom bucket seats...the possibilities are endless! I look forward to seeing what you develop.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
Hell Ya! Being a Metal Faber will help you out a ton. Doing up a skoolie is the perfect project(s) for ya. My family business is a small metal fab shop in OH. I used to work there before and during college. Now I play w/ metal as a hobby. It has already helped out a ton, especially snaking free sheets from inventory

I too am in the middle of construction. We finished replacing all the windows w/ some thick galvanized sheets which will hold new, nicer looking windows. Much like BruinGilda the AeroSwine (thanks for your great read along and photos btw)

Next for me is exterior storage compartments and the party deck up top. I've spent a lot of time measuring and drawing and finally came up w/ the specs i think i need. so both the boxes for the storage and deck platform is in production right now. I get to send them through the shop like real jobs

Once that exterior stuff is installed, i can paint!!!

Anywho - good luck and keep posting. And I will be updating my progress site so that i can share my ideas and photos and how-to's as well.

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Greetings,
Be sure to keep us posted on progress in pictures and words.

I have a weakness for International/Waynes.....
Glad to see BruinGilda's info is being used to help someone out!
https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Hi Vern1,

BruinGilda's pages have helped most of us at one time or another and I'm sure has inspired dozens...she's right up there at the top as far as good looking conversions go.

Thanks for taking the time to post all that information and take the pictures as you went along; I've said this before but it merits repeating.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Greetings Les and all.....
I'm glad it's helping somebody.
Believe me, I feel for each and every one of you folks as you start your Skoolie journey.
I still have some scars on my knuckles from sheet metal work......

I will be glad when it stops raining long enough to move my son's house in so I can have my bus back......He and his wife have been living in it for the last two months and I am going thru Skoolie withdrawl!
https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern1
......He and his wife have been living in it for the last two months and I am going thru Skoolie withdrawl!
I know the feeling...you ought to be ready for summer travel though! 'Specially since you have that nifty air conditioner; sort of miss the survey tape hanging from it though.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
Bus Nut

me again...

well, I just finished my generator box, time to hang it under big blue this weekend. I'm using an old Craftsman 1700 watt gen. that's at least 20 years old until I can upgrade. (use what ya got!) It doesn't have a cage like newer ones, so it needed a complete enclosure. I think when I get a new one, I'll hang the cage and add protective shrouds, should be relatively simple. Then I'll have the old enclosure for something else. Next fab project is propane bottle mounts and supply line for the FREE 20,000btu ventless heater my friend gave me. I'm still cleaning and patching the floor also. I'm just taking care of free stuff (fab work) until I can afford some wood for the floor. Can you believe the price of lumber, what happened to 88 cent 2x4's ? I just figured out that the space between the top of the windows and the lip the seats mount to is 48 inches, perfect for covering with paneling. I want to keep the windows for exterior visual reasons, so I'm going to paint them black from the inside and insulate and panel over. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I figure out the gallery thing.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I've posted pictures in the gallery, page 10, Album Big Blue,
Brad
Old 04-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #11
Skoolie

Ventless heater: carbon monoxide source?

BDAVIS,
if the heater is VENTLESS, does that mean it vents into the interior of the bus?

If so, you'll need to keep windows open for fresh air, as some ventless heaters produce carbon monoxide IIRC.

I'd get a carbon monoxide alarm, they make 'em faily cheap in a battery model.
Let's make sure that "free" heater doesn't kill ya.

Anybody else have any experience with ventless heaters? Someone told me they tend to build up moisture in the room while in use, any comments?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
This winter I used a borrowed 16,000 btu ventless, 3-brick propane heater in my pretty much stock insulated bus. I had no condensation or humidity problems inside, as well as no (noticeable) odors from the propane or from the bricks. The unit had an electronic ignition to light the pilot, and a thermostat to maintain tempurature.

The heater that came with the bus was a vented, chambered, blue flame heater that did put out a slight odor, and did not build condensation or humidity. It did, however, lose A LOT of heat out the vent, and the cold wind blew IN the vent to the interior (until I blocked it off and temp-mounted the ventless). It also used TWICE the propane that the ventless heater used.

I agree that a detector is a great thing to have for peace of mind and clean air of lungs!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I absolutely share the same concerns. This heater is made by Comfort Glow, It has a low oxygen sensor that shuts it off if CO builds up. So there is one safety in place. As peace of mind, I can assure you I will always have a vent open when in operation, And No less than two CO detectors in place. I live near Indy and a couple years ago several people were found dead in a rented rv at the Speedway from CO poisoning. The thought of that sticks in my head and makes me a bit paranoid, which in this case is a good thing.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #14
Bus Nut

bus A/C

Well, the air conditioning install is almost done. I've mounted a 12,000 btu window unit in a cabinet and installed an exhaust duct and intake opening. I just need to finish the louvers to complete the install. Pictures soon to follow.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #15
Bus Nut

a/c install

Well, the a/c install is finally complete, works great! check out the pictures in the gallery, Big Blue album.
sorry some are kinda dark, I finished it up late at night.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:44 PM   #16
Bus Nut

The best way to do this is to make the duct and louvers to fit your setup, by this I mean install the unit and enclosure and then build the duct and louvers to fit. I wouldn't want to do it without the bus in my posession for a while. (not a realistic option) I suggest you build your cabinet and install the A/C unit (angle toward the outside more than you would on a home install, to be sure it will drain even if the bus isn't quite level.)
Then cut the hole in the bus. Half of this hole will be intake, half will be exhaust. Have a local fab shop make the exhaust duct for you. Remember this needs to slant downhill, location of the hole in relation to the unit will achieve this. A detailed drawing with all critical dimensions is essential for the fabricator. Then have them make your louver to fit the hole, I can give you info on the louver design. I know this is a long winded answer to a simple question, but It would be cost prohibitive for me to fabricate these and ship them to you (the louver is a time consuming piece) However, if cost is not a concern and you have time to wait and can provide me with exact measurements, I can do it, but I strongly recommend a local fabricator in case you have a problem or need to make adjustments.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #17
Bus Nut

new pics in gallery

I just posted 13 new BigBlue photos in the gallery, currently page 6, check out the progress!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 06:09 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Looks good and seems to be coming along nicely .

Are you planning a kitchen or food prep/storage area? I didn't see anything in your photo's.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #19
Bus Nut

yes, the kitchen will be on the wall opposite the futon. It's not done yet, but I've definitely made progress.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Brad, I love what you did with the A/C. I was just wondering; about how much would it cost to get the sheet metal (vent) done by a shop? I'm presently torn between your A/C design and Steve's design, on Lonebus.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote