Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Big Max

After talking to a few people they suggested I post here as well. So:

Well, here's what I got done today:

Finished rustproofing the floor and added an extra coat of truck-bed-liner in what I figure will be high traffic areas;

I got the partitions put up to divide the conversion area from my workshop;

I secured the wall behind my captain's chair so I can reposition the speakers to each side of the headrest and position the HDTV and entertainment system on the other side;

I positioned the sofa/bed to see how it fits within the space. Tomorrow I'll extend it to properly position the legs and secure the mounts underneath it;

There's enough space to walk between the lift and the sofa;

I'll see how much room I need here tomorrow when I extend the sofa into the bed;

I plan on a fridge and a microwave above it on the driver's side of the bus behind the partition where my creepy-crawly is here;

This is where I plan on putting a drinking fountain with three pressurized, used, stainless steel tanks like the ones someone discussed on a different thread and I saved;

Ahhhh, all the free space for my tools. I shall treasure this picture because it will be filled with equipment, shelves, and tools very soon;

Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Big Max

More progress today for about three hours:

Here's the back of the overhead compartment I'm putting up for storing colthes for traveling, snacks, and whatnot:

Here's the front of the compartment:

I cut the back board to give me more room for the captain's chair:

Finally I have all the stickers and spray paint removed off the back of Max, next is the driver's area:

Old 07-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Well, here's what I got done over the 4th. It doesn't look like much, but it was labor intensive.

Shelving is now up:

And from the entry:

Here's what I got done today:

Interior doors are getting up:

Both in place:

Look ma, no hands!

Actually a rivot is hloding the door open....

As I was disconnecting the batteries to remove some dead wires, I couldn't help but notice this issue:

YIKES !!!! I'm thinking of caulking and then taping the caulking after I give this area a baking soda bath. Anyone have better ideas? I'm open for other suggestions. Plus after all the humidity out there today my brain is mush right now.

Anyways, I removed a bunch of dead wires from the dashboard. I now have some interesting ideas for the "red" lights. I'm thinking of finding an old chevy or ford pick-up from the 70's and yanking the headlight frames and grafting them on to the front red lights and covering them with the smiley covers like off-roaders do. For the back, I'm thinking of finding some 12 volt flood lights and building a mounting platform for that project.

I got a free microwave. Now I'm looking to convert the fans in the back into 12 volt to enhance air circulation. I'm still kicking around how to get that done.

Now if Lily could just PM me about the fridge.......
Old 07-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

What are those called and for what applications, Smitty? auto-mechanic challenged woman here
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Duh! As I said, my mind was mush yesterday...... I wasn't thinking (obviously).
Old 07-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

I just delt with this issue and I found that the corrosion went far beyound what you could see. So I replaced the cable, not cheap. I think it was around $70.00 for about 9ft of cable, however I did opt for the high dollar sealed connectors on the ends.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT6306.JPG   PICT6308.JPG  
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Thanks YF! The starter picture reminds me I need to inspect the line on my starter as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Well, after being sick this morning, and fighting suffocating humidity, I got a few things done today (and ready for a good sleep tonight).

First, I'd like to thank both Mightybus and Lily for all the things they donated to me and Max. Without these things the project would not have gotten this far. You guys ROCK!!!

So here's what I got done between running into the sticks & staples for A/C and water breaks.

Here's Lily's fridge she gave me (along with some other goodies). I also got the microwave from freecycle, just three years old:

Here's MightyBus's tarps and some of Lily's signage. I also got the wood from freecycle (yay!!). I'm going to use the motors from the signs to power a light bar cover to cover the lights in front of the bus and make it 100% legal. When I feel better I'll post my design:

Here's a very small part of the free shelving I got from freecycle. As you can tell, I troll and scavange as much as I can.

Now to find some cheap local sheet metal to cover the windows. We got a bunch of interior material dirt cheap. I'll be posting pics as we use it.... It's a dark blue/green color, the ceiling will be a desert sand color. Now for some insulation and assorted other materials for free..........