Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Re: BigBallsBus documented with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballsbus
one of the things that i thought would be the easiest to find has turned out to be imposible for me. i am looking the the good ole trucker mudflaps that are black with the chrome naked lady pose. anyone know where i can pick up a pair of these? phill, you found my bus i know you can find these!!!

lol I'm in BFE France right now at a McDonalds stealing the wifi... Thanks for thinking of me though.
did you order a "royal with cheeze?". is the quarter pounder line from pulp fiction true?

Old 03-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 1987
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: Conventional
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

I need help with AC... all we need is ac we are going to use the existing heaters in the bus for heat. we have a 3500 watt geny. we are looking for the cheapest, most effective ac. and i have no idea how to set it up or where is the best place to look for it anyone have any ideas?
bigballsbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #23
Bus Geek

window units tend to be the most plentiful and cheapest.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #24
Almost There

i am thinking that the window unit is going to have to be the way to go. although it is not pretty, the price makes up for it. do you know how many watts a window ac draws? would a 3500 watt geny be enough for that a couple of small tv's and possibly a mini fridge on longer roadtrips?
Old 04-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
i am thinking that the window unit is going to have to be the way to go. although it is not pretty, the price makes up for it. do you know how many watts a window ac draws? would a 3500 watt geny be enough for that a couple of small tv's and possibly a mini fridge on longer roadtrips?
There's usually a sticker on the side of the AC unit that will say how many watts it is. I used a 5050 BTU window in my bus & ran it off a Honda EU2000 (2,000 watts) and it ran it fine. I was also running a mini fridge and some misc lights and whatnot.

It was a hot summer day (probably 85-90) and the AC had a hard time cooling off the bus, maybe a pair of these A/Cs or a larger one would work better.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #26
Almost There

i found a 8000btu window air today at my workplace(menards) it said that it would cover 360 some odd sq/ft i think that will do considering my bus is only 205.8ish, i think that this extra coverage will make up for the lack of insulation that we aren't putting in. if i did my math correct it will take 1800watts that leavs me with 1200 or so to run the other misc. stuff with. it was only $167.00! so i believe that is what i will end up with any suggestion on how to mount it?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #27
Almost There

interior pain is 99.7% done. just need to touch up some places. took all of the beloved blue tape off and all the tarps off of the windows. I do have an odd request though, we accidentally threw away one too may back rest off of the original seats that we are going to be using as a booth we decided that we are going to use 3 seats instead of 2 so if anyone is starting tear down i need a back seat cover and the pad that goes in it if possible.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #28
Almost There

so i started tinting windows today. that is not fun if you were wondering. got half of one side done in about an hour. i think that the cold weather did no help out much. once i get them all done i will post some pics.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
so i started tinting windows today. that is not fun if you were wondering. got half of one side done in about an hour. i think that the cold weather did no help out much. once i get them all done i will post some pics.
Oh it's even less fun when you've already built bunk beds and closets in the way.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #30
Almost There

haha i would imagine.. what did you use to prep the windows before tinting? after i scubbed on them and thought they were fairly clean. you can deffinatly see everything on the window once the tint is on. luckly most of the part i have done is going to be a bathroom so maybe if i can figgure this out the rest of it will look better.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #31
Bus Nut

I just cleaned them with windex type cleaner. I think I may have used a flat razor blade to scrap off any crusty junk.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
i found a 8000btu window air today at my workplace(menards) it said that it would cover 360 some odd sq/ft i think that will do considering my bus is only 205.8ish, i think that this extra coverage will make up for the lack of insulation that we aren't putting in. if i did my math correct it will take 1800watts that leavs me with 1200 or so to run the other misc. stuff with. it was only $167.00! so i believe that is what i will end up with any suggestion on how to mount it?
I cut a hole below my window and installed one there like this

it also makes a good place to put your drinks etc. like this
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
outside air.jpg   inside air.jpg  
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #33
Almost There

Thanks for the advice phil and buster. buster. i like how that looks on the outside. i don'tk now much about window ac does the wind going down the road affect anything with the unit? would it be best to mount it in the back or does it work well in the middle?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #34
Skoolie

I installed that air conditioner like it is so that it doesn't even stick out as far as my rear veiw mirror. I have a 5 kw generator welded to the "back porch" and a portable air conditioner in the back of the bus. (the kind with the hose on it that goes through the wall). I run the generator and both air units going down the road all of the time. They work great.
Dave
Old 04-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #35
Almost There

i may want to look into one of those portable units as well where can you find that and about home much do they run?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #36
Skoolie

I bought Mine at wal-mart. It is 10,000 btu and it has a heat pump function for heating. I think it was around 370.00 out the door tax and all.
Dave
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #37
Almost There

i like the idea of having it on the back of the bus, this will help keep some of the real dirty air from gettin in the filters i think,but what i am worried about is that it wont cool of the front part of the bus. this is where most of the people will be. and i was also wondering if it would be possible just to put down a window make a frame around that for the ac unit to sit and then be able to remove it in the winter time and put the window back up... what to do ... what to do...
Old 04-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
i was also wondering if it would be possible just to put down a window make a frame around that for the ac unit to sit and then be able to remove it in the winter time and put the window back up... what to do ... what to do...
That's what I did... it's easy, and removable when not needed.

First I removed a window and measured the opening, then cut a piece of ply wood that size, I screwed a piece of 1X3 across the inside bottom for extra support. Then I cut a hole in the ply wood the size of the A/C - then framed it on the inside with 2X4's to make a "window sill" for my window AC to sit on. Then put the wood in place of the window and secured it - my windows are held in with 4 big phillips head screws and washers, so that part was easy. Once the wood frame is in, I can put the window ac in as easily as putting it in a real window. I remove the A/C unit for travel, but if it were screwed in it should be fine.

I wish I had some pictures of my setup. I've only used it one time... Hopefully I'll get more use out of it this summer.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #39
Almost There

finally got to get some more work done on her... tint sucked... but as you can see there is no way you can see in durring the day... few bubbles... but who cares?? its a bus... got started laying carpet and vynal (liquid nails is awesome... it is the new duct tape)

Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #40
Almost There

well i have some bad news... we are going to be needing to do some major work mechanically. Last night we got an offer from a friends brother to pay us 200.00 to drive their bachelor party around. we were excited... thinking that that money would help up pay for some of the paint... well we went golfing today and decided to take the bus.. it was about 15 miles round trip... on the way there the exhaust pipe broke and half and was hanging by a thread... not a big deal had my dewalt drill and some self tapping screw ... screwed it in for the time being. then we get less then a mile away from home and there is smoke pouring out of the hood.... pull into a gas station real quick.. popped the hood we had a fire around the front passenger brakes... we put it out with some water... what an eventful day. next purchase for the bus: fire extinguisher.... we saw that there was some brake fluid leaking... but i don't trust myself enough as a mechanic to attempt to fix it... this could cost some cash ... its too bad that we cant take the party out next weekend.. could use the money.