Old 11-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #101
Bus Nut

Re: Bike For The Light Skoolie

Better watch out Smitty. He's liable to knee cap ya.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #102
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

I may be short, but I can still bend. Haha...in yo face. Just playing with you guys. I am about 5'10" or 11" The doorway is just under 5'8". Its a little dip, but easy enough to get in and out of. Today was a great day. Installed all the electric today. Was gonna do it next week, but my soon to be father in law electrician had the time today. So all the outlets are wired in by a pro. The power converter/charger is installed with all the breakers. And the transfer switch is wired. I am gonna install it tomorrow I think, but the think is wired. It is a lot prettier than the pics really show. I took them as we were wiring, so the wires look a little messy, but the end result is super clean, and I am excited that its done, and has been done right. Jim (the electrician) is a pro, and he knew exactly what to do. I had an idea, but he helped me knock all this out in under 3 hours. Gotta love that. Here are a couple pics.

The next couple days I am gonna have to focus on the old RV. I will post a pic of it so you can see what I spent the last year living in. You will understand why I wanted a bus. Haha. But I have sold the RV. I need to paint it before they take delivery though. So that is priority one for the next day or two.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #103
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

WOW! Making progress doode! Good idea labeling everything... My neighbor has the exact same Toyota as Gertie. I can't see how you & yer larger driver lived in that for was it, 8 months??! It is small for 1 person!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #104
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
WOW! Making progress doode! Good idea labeling everything... My neighbor has the exact same Toyota as Gertie. I can't see how you & yer larger driver lived in that for was it, 8 months??! It is small for 1 person!
Yeah, I labeled it all. Would hate to have to unhook everything because I didn't take two minutes when installing it. And Gerty is WAYYYYY too small. She was a great little RV and house for me, but I need my privacy. On the plus side, I got a new driver that isn't huge anymore. About the same size as me. So that is a good thing. Haha. I have some comparative pics below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pied Typer
You know, I am a little bit disappointed as I fully expected to sign on this morning to find out that you had finished the bus and were already taking the first trip...

Your hectic pace is putting our project to shame! KEEP IT UP!
Haha....I am trying to get er done as quick as possible man. Too much fun to not work on it. I just wonder what I will do when its over. Me and my gal are looking at buying a short sale house that needs some work, so I guess that will be the next project. Who knows.

So today was good day. I had to work some on my old RV to get it ready to sell. I have it parked right next to the bus. The RV is an 85 Toyota Dolphin. 19 feet long. And me and my driver lived in it for over 8 months. I am 5'10"+ and my driver was 6'3"+ and weigh over 300 lbs. Just way too small. You can see why I wanted a school bus. Haha.

I got the transfer switch mounted and the rest of the wires all finished up today too. Im really happy with how nice it turned out. Also all the outlets are wired up too.

Finally, today I got both the beds framed up. Just gotta cover them with some ply. Gonna have a ton of good storage underneath them too. Really strong frame work.

I know its gonna hold really well. I made em a bit taller than I originally intended. I need to store something specific. My neighbor had a garage sale the other day and had an igloo cooler fridge. A really nice size chest cooler with a small refrigeration unit. You can use it as a cooler or stand it up and use it as a fridge. Perfect shape. I saw it but didn't have the money. When he hadn't sold it at the end of the day, he just gave it to me. Score. So it is going to be stored under the bed. We will pull it out and use it when we are places with no shore power for more than a day or two. It only has a 1.4 amp draw, so it is perfect to keep stuff cool instead of the freezerator when we are running off the battery bank. I needed the extra space to have a place to put it. Fun times. I am not sure what I will be doing tomorrow. I am nearly done with "building". At least the structure is about done. I am heading out of town to speak up in the panhandle of Florida this week. So Wednesday morning I head out of town till Sunday night. So there will be few days with no Gracey pics. Sorry guys. Im trying to give you guys stuff to look at as much as possible. Hope you like em.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #105
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

In the last pic there looking at the drivers side bedroom. It looks to me that there is a big space behind the wheelwell that will be a pain to get to to utilize as storage space. Unless you have a flashlight and like bellycrawling through cramped tunnels.When you put in your plywood for the bed, might I suggest splitting the plywood down the middle and NOT screwing it down so you can raise up the matress and then raise up the plywood to get to the space back there? Or is there going to be a door from the storage room in back to get to that area? Put the plywood on hinges?? Im guessing there is no walk space down the side of the bed right?

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #106
Bus Nut

Is there a reason for having the wallplugs upside down? or is it the picture?

I have wondered why some plugs are upside down, nobody knows... ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #107
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
In the last pic there looking at the drivers side bedroom. It looks to me that there is a big space behind the wheelwell that will be a pain to get to to utilize as storage space. Unless you have a flashlight and like bellycrawling through cramped tunnels.When you put in your plywood for the bed, might I suggest splitting the plywood down the middle and NOT screwing it down so you can raise up the matress and then raise up the plywood to get to the space back there? Or is there going to be a door from the storage room in back to get to that area? Put the plywood on hinges?? Im guessing there is no walk space down the side of the bed right?
I am not screwing in the plywood. I am also sectioning it off under it so stuff is accessible from the front and doesn't slide way back. Its gonna work well. Just putting stuff in there that we wont use often. Larger tools and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I install them the same way. Many refrigerators (using a flat plug) use this configuration. I also did it to prevent sheetmetal (or any other conductor) from sliding down the wall, and shorting the plug. It would hit the ground prong 1st.
Exactly why I did it that way.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #108
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

10-4! I guess you already thought of the space issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druze
In my house, the upside-down plugs indicate that they are controlled by a switch on the wall.
Thats an awesome idea! However, In my house I have an oposite problem. I have a switch that for the life of me I cant figure out what its for. The secret was buried with dad.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #109
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
In my house, the upside-down plugs indicate that they are controlled by a switch on the wall.
When I lived in King of Prussia, PA, I learned it's code to install all (new) outlets that way (upside down)... Who knew... I thought it was dumb at the time, but I guess it does make sense.
mouse059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #110
Skoolie

Quote:
i have a friend that had his house set up that way. after he was done renting we turned over the other ones and flipped the upside down ones right side up. he was a bad landlord. haha.