Old 11-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #111
Bus Crazy

Re: Bike For The Light Skoolie

Another way to ID outlets is by color. Go to a hospital, and all the outlets on generator back-up are orange. I'm not sure if outlets on a UPS would be orange or another color (green?). It might be a thought on a skoolie to color the outlets that are on inverter as opposed to shoreline/generator. This would be especially helpful if there is medical equipment that needs to be plugged in to an automatic transfer inverter. It also might discourage plugging a hair dryer into the inverter when running on battery.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #112
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pied Typer

Smitty, do you really need to break out the DYMO for all one receptical you are planning on having? Or are the labels for the extension cord?
Hey....when your memory's gone, ya gotta do what ya gotta do I figured I'd better have one that says "TOILET" and one that says "POTATO DRAWER".....just in case

Smitty
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #113
Bus Nut

What? No Pictographs?
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #114
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

IM BACK!!! had a great trip this week up to Pensacola, had some awesome services. spoke at a couple schools and youth groups to about 1500 teenagers. awesome time. i am wicked tired now tho. anyways, tomorrow back to working on Gracey. gonna start working on insulating the walls and putting up the luan. i have gone back and forth on what insulation to use on the walls. one day i am gonna go with fiberglass and the next with a thick r-max. cant decide. any advice would be helpful.

also, i actually thought about color coding my outlets too. but in the end, all my outlets go to the transfer switch between the shore line and inverter. so they all can work anytime. the only exception is the freezer fridge plug, but it is next to another one that is on the inverter if needed. i also have that cooler fridge to use if we go more than a day or two without shore power.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #115
Skoolie

im thinking rmax is the way to go. it actually isn't a whole lot cheaper smitty. one sheet of it will let me insulate more than 3 windows worth of wall space and cost me roughly $11. a roll of glass will let me do a little over 4 windows worth and cost me around $9-$10. so the savings are minimal. i didn't know if the glass offers more sound deadening or not. as for r value, i obviously want the highest i can get, but am not too concerned with making it super high. i would prob be fine with either. just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that would weigh my decision either direction.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #116
Skoolie

Well, I went with the R-Max polyiso. Cost just a bit more. But 8 sheets are gonna do all the walls in the bus, so at about $11 a piece, it wasn't too bad. Went with 1" with an R value of 7. Cut really easy, and had the entire passenger side installed in just a couple hours. Spent some time running my surround sound speaker wire up through the ceiling before I put in the insulation though, and that actually took longer than the insulation. Haha. Gonna be finishing the other side of the insulation in the morning, then probably starting to sheet it in luan. Not positive yet, but that is tomorrows plan I think.

Here are a couple pics of the insulation up in the walls.

Here is one of the surround sound speaker wires pokin through the insulation.

I still have to foil tape up all the seams on the insulation. But all in all, it was a good day. Im tired. Me and my gal are looking at houses. The one we wanted went under contract with someone else today, so that sucks, but we are about to spend some time looking at others online. Good times.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #117
Skoolie

Hey there guys. Been out of town for a few days. Always traveling. I had a great turkey day, then was up in Atlanta for a couple days. Gonna get back to the bus tomorrow I think. I am gonna be using the luan sheets wide like Smitty mentioned so that i will have fewer seams at eye level. The long seam will be around knee height, so they will be behind furniture for the most part. I am gonna be painting, not staining the luan, so I will prob lay a thin bead of caulk in it to keep it as hidden as possible. Gotta start the not fun job of measuring all my cutouts on luan for windows and electric tomorrow. Not looking forward to that. But I got some new jig saw blades so I can go to town. Fun times.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 AM   #118
Skoolie

So I have been really busy, but today i was able to get out and work on Gracey for a little bit. Got the two bed platforms cut. Didnt mount them yet. I want to cut some doors in them and put some hinges on it first. But I will mount em up soon.

I started cutting the luan paneling, but I am definitely not good at that. Im used to doing cut outs in drywall, where I can have it right next to the place I am installing it, just for reference. I hate having to pull the paneling out to an area big enough to work with, take forever jig sawing the holes and then take it back in to see if its good. Ruined a sheet of luan today, just because my i accidentally flopped my numbers. If i could cut it right there and have the reference it would be so much easier. I was thinking about getting a different tool that I could cut the luan right there easier than a jig saw. I have seen these things, but never used one.

Thought it may work well. What do you guys think? Ever used one? If they suck, what else may work easier?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #119
Skoolie

Good call Smitty. I am gonna go price em out. So havent seen any new pics of your bus in a while. Anything new happening? I want more pics that make me jealous of your headroom. haha.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #120
Skoolie

Sorry to hear that man. Im sending you happy bus thoughts from Florida. I ended up getting both tools. The multi-tool works great for angles and round cuts. Also really good at shaving any cut edge that is just a hair to tight. The rotozip works great for electrical cutouts. Today it was raining all day long, and cold (for central florida....haha). So I stayed inside the bus and started installing the walls. I sheeted the walls under the bed with 1/2 ply. The rest of the walls are getting luan, but under the bed is gonna have storage, and I wanted something stronger in case stuff shifts around a bit. In between the two bedrooms I am using pink fiberglass insulation. Not to insulate, but for sound between the rooms. It seems to work pretty well for that. I had a couple rolls leftover so I used it instead of buying something else. All in all, I got the walls up between the two bedrooms and all the ply under the beds too. Going well. Here are a couple pics of the day. Now I am gonna take a bath and try to warm up some. haha.

Insulation between the rooms. The insulation goes all the way down to floor.

Here is the ply wall under the beds.

Here is some of the luan up on the wall above the bed frame.