Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #131
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Re: Bike For The Light Skoolie

I have been absent for a while & D*MN Johnny it is lookin goooood!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #132
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
You're gettin' lazy on us Johnny, with all those fancy new tools, I'm highly disapointed you didn't scribe and cut the trim to fit the bow in the ceiling.
NAW.....just bustin' yer chops
Haha...You laugh smitty, but i sat there thinking about trying to do that for a good hour. In the end I decided those bows are probable gonna flex a bit, and I didn't want the squeaking. Haha....and it would have sucked to try and figure out all those cuts. No way. Silicone fixes all. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
How far along are you with the entire conversion (50-75%)?? Smitty
Its hard to say. I am done with all the major framing. Still have the A/C to install. Electric is all installed. Have about half the paneling done. I haven't even touched the exterior yet. All in all I would say im at least 60% maybe close to 70%. But I think the last ten percent is gonna be a bunch of small little things. Not the fun stuff. Just the crap you gotta get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
You have been gone forever man. Thanks man. Its coming along. How in NM going for you? Im envious of your weather about now. Sweating all day in the bus today. Still in the upper 80's. Sucks.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeforthelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
You have been gone forever man. Thanks man. Its coming along. How in NM going for you? Im envious of your weather about now. Sweating all day in the bus today. Still in the upper 80's. Sucks.
NM has been quite the challenge being off the grid but we have been FAAAST learners! The weather has varied from 70 to -14 in just nov - dec! We have had frozen pipes, next to no heat, equipment failure & more but it is getting better!

Just bought 4 more 100AH AGM batteries for a total of 8 so now we are at 800AH & it should give us a good backup for days!! Exciting as we are combining the power from the business solar setup with the cabin... more panels are next. We are also having a well drilled by end of january, hopefully - as there is nothing worse than hauling in your water, blowing the impeller off of the 110v pump cause you thought it was thawed out - then having to siphon by mouth to the holding tanks only to have the pipes freeze that night!

Dara's dad is coming in for 4 days from PA to help us lay 2" foam board insulation topped with OSB tongue & groove as the floors of the cabin are not insulated! KINDA like building a bus...

The snow has been incredible! I thought I would share a few photos... I don't miss the FL weather or the people, nothing personal!

The Outhouse Trek!

Our NEW internet connection!!!

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #134
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

Damn! Talk about Broadband! What do you get, about a gajillion BPS? You could just stand in front of the antennae and have internet in every fiber of your nervous system!

I like the trim strip you manufactured. Isn't it fun custom making every little odd piece that you come across a need for? SO much fun!

Putting luan (doorskins) on the ceiling is not hard at all. It flexes enough to go up easily, but you have to hold (or brace) it in place for a little while until the construction adhesive dries.

Everything looks good, and it sounds like your DC system is going to be plenty big. Good work!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #135
Skoolie

Jonathan....love it and cant wait to see it all in person man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric von Kleist
I like the trim strip you manufactured. Isn't it fun custom making every little odd piece that you come across a need for? SO much fun!
It is fun. Sometimes frustrating, but definitely fun. I am not gonna skin the ceiling this year. I will probably do a change of the bus in a year or two to just one bedroom and put in a water system. At that point, I will probably pull the metal ceiling down and put legit insulation up there and skin it in luan. Just don't have the time or energy this time round. I have to finish this whole thing inside and out by february before my next tour starts.

So today I did a lot. It doesnt really look like it though. I had a little bit of the wall insulation to finish up. I got it all done. Then I put up the top trim piece and siliconed it on the passenger side of the living room. Then I cut and mounted one panel of the wall in the living room. Have to finish a couple little wiring things on that wall before I cover the rest. Will do that tomorrow. I am using as much of the free trim pieces I got from Freecycle as I can. You can see that the corner trim piece is painted darker right now. But it will end up being painted to match the rest of the room.

I also mounted the bed platform in the first bedroom.

I cut two hatches in the platform to access the storage under the bed. I framed the holes with 2x3 to help support the hatches. Put hinges on them both. Should make for easy access under there.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #136
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric von Kleist
Damn! Talk about Broadband! What do you get, about a gajillion BPS?
The latency would suck.
mouse059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #137
Skoolie

I like the hatch in the bed platform. Simple but effective. I'll have to add that to the list of ideas I'm building. Depending on the under side clearance between the frame rails I plan on building a hatch into the floor that leads to a storage compartment as well.

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #138
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
I like the hatch in the bed platform. Simple but effective. I'll have to add that to the list of ideas I'm building. Depending on the under side clearance between the frame rails I plan on building a hatch into the floor that leads to a storage compartment as well.
Yeah, man. I was gonna put doors at the foot of the bed, but this seemed a little easier. Im happy with how well it turned out.

So today I got a lot done. But unfortunately it doesnt show in the pics really. Just doing more of the same really. Finished all the paneling on the passenger side. Here is a shot of the living room wall.

You can see the surround sound wires at the top. The wires toward the bottom of the wall are for ambient lighting. They are wired to the switch at the left of the picture. Its just inside the door. Its gonna be the same light fixtures that I am using on the ceiling, but they will be mounted low and behind the couch and cabinets. Just to provide light in the room without it glaring in your eyes and messing with the tv screen. I also did a little trim work on the door way into the nearly completed room. Gonna try and finish it up tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #139
Skoolie

Today was a nerve wrecking day. I cut a hole in the side of the bus. I knew I had to, but still was nervous. If I screw it up, it aint an easy fix. So I finished up wiring all the electrical inside. Then I needed an access door for my shore power line. I put in a spring loaded weatherproof door. Turned out great.

Works well, but in the end....I am gonna have to get a bigger door and cut a bigger hole. Just not enough room in this one to fit big 30A plugs. Close, but no cigar. Either way, when I plugged in the whole system for the first time, it worked. All of it. Really happy. No blown fuses or tripped breakers. Just worked the way it was supposed to. I have yet to hook up the remote switch on the inverter. Will do that Monday I think.

Oh, and Smitty....i started up the freezer for the first time. I'll post up some stuff on the freezer thread.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #140
Skoolie

Thanks man. I like the cover you put there. I may look into it. I was going with metal so it would take paint and I could match it up with the rest of the bus. Either way. I gotta pic up some buss fuses and start wiring interior lighting tomorrow. Im excited. Starting to come together. I got those cabinets for free a while back, but one was missing a drawer. I got two large ones and 3 small ones. The missing drawer is from one of the large ones. I am using both of them for sure in the living room. I tried finding a replacement drawer, but to no avail. seems they are custom or something. so i have decided to sacrifice one of the small cabinets and am gonna build my own drawer. never done that so it should be a fun test.