Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #141
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Re: Bike For The Light Skoolie

What is the name of that cover, Smitty?

Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #142
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeria
What is the name of that cover, Smitty?
I don't know the technical name, but the slang term is "mouse hole." It isn't really an "outlet" in electrical terms, since it is just a cord pass-through and has no connectors, but it is an "outlet" in the sense that the cord gets out from the inside.

To use it, you swing the trap door open and pass your male cord end out or female extension cord in. The flexible fingers (barely visible on the inside edge)hold the cord loosely in place. Then move the slider on the cover up, and close the trap door over the cord, and move the slider down to make the hole only big enough to fit the cord. When the cord is not in place, move the slider all the way down to close off the hole.

If the male connector on your inside cord isn't too big, it can live in the tube between the fingers and the trap door when not in use.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #143
Bus Nut

RV Electrical Hatch...

Pictures...
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Just click on web in the upper left if you want to switch to website searching instead of pictures.

Here are the ones at Camping World...
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-hatches/7211
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #144
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

Merry Christmas to every skoolie....one and all. I got engaged today. Its been a great one for me. Love em if you got em.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #145
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeforthelight
Merry Christmas to every skoolie....one and all. I got engaged today. Its been a great one for me. Love em if you got em.
Merry Christmas to you as well, and CONGRATS!!!

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #146
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Congratulations!!
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #147
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Congrats Brotha! It'sa shame I never got to meet the lucky lady...or wait... YOURE the lucky one!!
Maybe when you guys make it out NM way we will get the chance!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #148
Bus Crazy

Congratulations, Johnny!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #149
Skoolie

Thanks for the well wishes. Now I get to go work on Grace again tomorrow. Should be good. Also we are looking for a house. I found a keeper because she wants to find a place big enough to store Grace. Gotta love that.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #150
Skoolie

So I have been gone for a couple weeks. Got engaged, then I had to go to Boston to meet some of her family. Now we are looking at houses. Just a crazy holiday. Have hardly been able to spend anytime at Grace. Yesterday I went out for an hour or so. I put a larger hole in the side for our electric passthrough. Also got a nice kerosene heater. Its a Corona. Picked it up on craigslist. Very efficient, and that kero smell seems to only last a couple minutes when lighting. Puts out a ton of heat, and this one is actually made for long narrow rooms, so its perfect for the bus. Its a good thing. Its been in the 30's here in Florida. Not cold for some of you.....but here its armageddon. haha. I am gonna head up to the bus in a few minutes again. More pics coming soon.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #151
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

Welcome to the club man your free life is soon over! You won't mind or miss it either. Congrat's and nice snag on the Kero... Their great as a kid my folks used them they work well.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #152
Skoolie

Thanks for the well wishes. Haven't been on here in a bit. Been traveling and working on some other stuff (like a wedding haha). But I got in Grace some today. Trying to finish up the last bit of paneling. Have it all up but two pieces. I went in needing to finish up the drivers side. So I did that bedroom wall, center wall, and two of the 4 panels in the living room. Here are some of the pics. I am really happy with how easy it is going up, and cant wait till I can paint it. The top trim pieces that I fabricated work so well. Anyways, glad to be back. Here are some pics of whats been going on:

Here is my fiance Sarah. She is purty.

And here are some pics of the paneling going up.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #153
Bus Nut

What? No pictures of the House flooring? (I did say that I was going to ask about this.)
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #154
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

I've been catching up on the Grace build. Y'all were discussing the cable outlet. I'm probably a little late to show this but I figured I would show mine. I don't know what kind it is or where dad scrounged it up from, but this is what I have. The drawback is that the cable winds up just piled up inside the box and I'd like for it to be somewhat neater. Like on a retractable hose reel or something. Do they make a cable reel that is heay duty enough to handle the amps and heavy cable like this??

Congrats on the engagement!
Attached Thumbnails
cable out.JPG   cover open.JPG   electrical cable cover.JPG  

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #155
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Oh yah, heres a pic of the cable all piled up in my firepot. I don't like it being all jumbled up in there like that
Attached Thumbnails
cable piled up.JPG  

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #156
Skoolie

I found a bigger door. I will post the pic of it in the next day or two. I am just running it all off of extension cords. those big 30a cords are expensive though. so in the hole is just short cord (about 5 feet long). just enough to reach the ground so there isn't pressure on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Johnny....where's a link to the bus? I didn't see anything about the bus on your link. Can you post a direct link without going through the rest of it?

Smitty
i actually dont have a bus page. that link is just to my website. its what i use the bus for. i post pretty much everything on here. i do post stuff on my facebook too. here is the link to that. add me if you have one. http://www.facebook.com/bikeforthelight
Old 02-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #157
Skoolie

Well, I have been out of commission for a bit. The money was scarce for a bit, but starting to pick back up. I have to finish my bus in the next 3 weeks. Or at least finish it enough to hit the road for the next 7 months. So I will be posting a lot here pretty soon. I have been planning a wedding and not really checking the site much. But have spent the last hour reading over posts. Everyone is doing great. I made some purchases today and cant wait for them to be shipped. I bought the freezer thermostat to use it as a fridge. Got a front door lock handle thing to turn my front door into something usable. I also decided to put in a sink. I am not putting in a big water system, but instead decided to do something small to use when needed. So I have a faucet that is a hand pump coming. I am gonna use two 5 gallon water bottles for the fresh and grey with the system. Should be a real simple setup that gives me fresh water when needed. Looking forward to it. Pictures are coming. Its good to be back. Oh, and my prediction.....Colts 31 Saints 21.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #158
Skoolie

Well here is what I worked on today. Started taking the front folding door apart to put in the new latch. Need to get a new jigsaw blade tomorrow to finish it up. But I did get the latch in. Looks good and will work great. Also have a couple pics of the new larger electric hatch for the outside to plug in shore lines.

Here is the door with the start of the latch hole cut. Broke the last jigsaw blade though so I will finish it tomorrow.

Here is the latch.

The outside electrical hatch. Larger than the old one and will work great.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #159
Skoolie

I do, but i didn't have it with me today. I will use it on the main cut tomorrow, but still need the jigsaw for the small cut out for the deadbolt. I forgot the grinder at home, but wanted to try and do it today. thats why I didnt get much done. haha.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #160
Skoolie

Got tons of pics tonight. Installed the door handle latch deadbolt on the front door today. Wanted to do more, but installing this took a little more finagling than I expected. Had to use a shim, and am actually gonna put a thicker shim in tomorrow to make it work a little better. But for now, I have it installed. Next will be framing around the opening and installing the striker plate and hole for the latch and deadbolt to lock into. Then the front and back can both be locked and entered. I have been waiting to seal up the wall between the storage and bedrooms till I did this so I could still get in. Now I can do it. Makes me happy. So here are the pics.

Installed steel brackets to turn the two door panels into one solid door.

Cutting a hole for the lock.

Cutting out the opening for the deadbolt and latch.

Here I am installing the latch in the opening I cut.

Had to put a shim in to make the door thick enough to install the latch. Will put a thicker more substantial one in tomorrow. Got dark before I could do that today.

Finished door lock latch and handle installed.

More to come tomorrow.