Old 03-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
[QUOTE=Scooternj;89112]If you haven't removed them, I would flip your rear warning lights, and tie them into the turn & brake lights. I'm doing that on mine so that no one can claim that 1) they didn't see the turn signal, 2) didn't see the brake lights, and 3) improves my visibility on the side of the road.

I love this idea and would do that if your state allows it.
But if your traveling state to state you might get flack. If I remember right in some states you have to do everything you can to make it NOT look like a school bus.

All wig wag (warning lights) must be removed on every part of the bus. No warning lights, strobes, stop bar. Stop sing. Just your normal lights / running (park lights) pull in to that state that does not allow those to be on a bus even if they dont work or you turn off you may get pulled over even if its not yellow. I could be wrong though.

I know wed like to see different places so I plan on taking out all the warning lights.
Sorry late reply just read this build today.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Well, I got my bus to my folks yesterday evening. Motor runs great in it. Problem is, my check transmission light came on today when I backed it up to the garage. The ABS light has been on since I got it, and after I shut down the motor, the intake heater light comes on. I put 2 new bus batteries in it, so I disconnected the batteries so as to not drain them.

The mechanic said I needed to take it to a CAT dealer to have the ecm reprogrammed from a fe to a re type.

Question I have is anyone have any idea if that's true or not?

I have some floor pics to post. Going to have to replace a few planks around the wheel wells. Just going to learn how to raise the body and slide the degraded ones out...
Old 03-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
I have some floor pics to post. Going to have to replace a few planks around the wheel wells. Just going to learn how to raise the body and slide the degraded ones out...
Sweet glad you got it back!

How do you plan to raise the body? Just curious
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Bottle jacks and cribbing on the chassis itself.......
Old 03-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Got off the phone with Thomas, got the specs I needed for the floor channel replacements and even the blueprints to have them custom made! Thomas also told me to check the grounding issue for my intake heater light. That it sounded like it was loose. (the light shouldn't be on if the key was removed from the ignition!)

There is a separate transmission ECM on the model I have, sooooooo, I have to have an Allison tech take a look at that, and possibly do the same thing porkschopsandwhiches did and unlock 6th in it, depending on it's ability to climb hills with the extra gear in it, it may be worth it since I drive from Phoenix to the east coast 2 or 3 times a year.

Caterpillar will reprogram my ECM for a hundred bucks an hour, typical shop charge. So that will go down to them next week when I get to my bus again.

BEST PART???? I can add cruise control on it!! All I have to do is have the CAT technician unlock it in the programming!!!!

This is the best Monday I've had in a LOOOOOONG time!
Old 03-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I can feel the excitement!

Congrats, I know how that feels- my new (bigger) jets are coming to finish my moped project. It IS a good monday!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #47
Bus Nut

As you can see there is serious degradation of the main floor planks just before and after the wheel wells. I cut the tops out with a grinder to be able to determine the severity of damage....... I have contacted Thomas and got the schematics to have new ones fabricated. There are also 2X2 square steel tubes inside the decking in the pieces closest to the wheel wells themselves.

Friday we are off to the CAT dealer in Oxford, AL to have the ECM reprogrammed!
Old 03-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Cool that Thomas was so helpful and provided you with the needed drawing. Did you mention you were modifying it into a skoolie or just that you were repairing a school bus? Cool if they support owners no matter what the use.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
BEST PART???? I can add cruise control on it!! All I have to do is have the CAT technician unlock it in the programming!!!!
You mean I can get CAT to turn on the cruise control on my C7? What about the other things, i.e., the set/coast switch?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Cool that Thomas was so helpful and provided you with the needed drawing. Did you mention you were modifying it into a skoolie or just that you were repairing a school bus? Cool if they support owners no matter what the use.
I told him about the conversion. The tech was like, that's so cool! I bet I was on the phone for 45 minutes with him just getting info.

Squid, I would say yes. He said it gets turned on in the ecm, and you just get the switch meant for it. I don't know if there are interchangeable ones, but as soon as I have it all figured out, I'll post it.