Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Blue Bayou might just be her name.

Hello all,
I started Demo-day last night on the new bus. waiting for family approval on the name of Blue Bayou. The bus was in OHIO a few years back as a mobile learning unit. She has a 5.9 Cummins with less than 4K miles and an Alison Auto Tranny. It has already had spray insulation through the whole interior. Someone wanted it for storage along the way and sealed the roof ac holes. One of the two roof airs made it to us inside the bus. I will be testing that one soon. They also removed almost all the wiring and I finished that last night. Who ever converted the Blue Bird partial bus into the learning center was probably the cause of the almost no miles. There were electrical shorts all through the interior 115Volt lights. Burnt wires where the romex was cut by the light fixture knock outs. I imagine the teacher that was driving this thing was showered with sparks and stopped driving it. As you will see in the pictures there are almost no windows. My wife (Madeline) is starting to get excited about our trip but not the reno... I am in construction so this is just what I do, but on wheels this time. Ok now for some pictures before this turns into a book! I moved that picture to the next reply.
Attached Thumbnails
20170221_160305_resized.jpg   20170221_162427_resized.jpg  

EZBUZZSAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

After pictures

This pic will not post vertically, I don't know how to rotate pics on this site. .
Attached Thumbnails
20170221_170635.jpg  
Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Trip Home

02/21/2017 The trip home was only 130 Miles but there were no brake downs or malfunctions. Does anyone know what temp a Cummins 5.9 should run at highway speeds? It topped out at 63 MPH and 190 degrees F. It ran closer to 185 on flat areas but went to 190 on hilly sections. This was Blue Bayou's first trip to Buc-ees!
Attached Thumbnails
20170220_191658_resized.jpg  
Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
that temp is just fine. you should just worry if most engines go above 210 or 212 the boiling point. but since your coolant has additives to not boil at that temp you CAN go higher but not too much. All engines and systems are slightly different but thats just a general guideline to go off of.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
that temp is just fine. you should just worry if most engines go above 210 or 212 the boiling point. but since your coolant has additives to not boil at that temp you CAN go higher but not too much. All engines and systems are slightly different but thats just a general guideline to go off of.
Thanks for your input!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
with a diesel boiling isnt the big reason for wsorrying about high temps.. the exctra high compression in the engine means getting it too hot causes the metals of the head and block expand and can either sliughtly deform causing headgasket leaks, or stretch the fasteners warping the head...

190 is perfectly fine... it likely has a 180 thermostat in it.. which means the thermostat isnt even fully open until about 190 so you werent even taxing ther cooling system at all..

on most diesels 220-230 is Red alert! red alert! 210-212 is where I start watching things like a hawk... and may even slow my speed down a bit to see if it coold down..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.9 cummins, blue bird, demo day, reno