Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: ...BLUNDERBUS...

in my haste to reply i forgot the reason i was on.....PROGRESS.... well sort of the night latch i had put in was a fail because of the the shape of the bolt coming out of the lock...
and this should serve as a good reference for others who would like to use this type of mechanism
if u use a wedge shaped lock the bar will slide behind the wedge... but it is an easy fix just go buy a rectangular one and switch them out ..i have pics the camera is alive an well
it just barely catches but it works

and this is the old ineffective one

ok thats all i got now

cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #62
Skoolie

our alley is actually another city street so we really lucked out...
every store i went to called the night latch sumthing different

well we bought two sheets of plywood...not just any plywood super swanky formaldehyde free plywood but at 30 bucks a pop this process will go slow
not enough of an update to photo journalise so will post pics later
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #63
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

I have the wedge lock cuz that is all i could find around here. Luckily it hits the bar full on and i dont need the rectangular one. Sorry about "touching" the house. If i did that my old lady would "touch" me in the face. haha.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #64
Skoolie

The floor is finally getting wrapped up, need a few more sheets of plywood and foam insulation but otherwise were on the downward slope here. We have someone line up to come cut out our terribly rusty stairs, re fabricate them, and weld them back onto place (hopefully this week). Anyway here it is with the plywood getting laid.

Now it is much safer for him in there...and he loves it.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Cute kid! I'll bet he gets into everything. Mine certainly did at that age! He's lucky to have such a (soon to be) palace on wheels to cruise around in.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Lookin great! I have one of my own but she is at the sitting up stage... soon to change drastically huh?
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #67
Skoolie

thanks for the positive comments about my son....... 16 months now and loves the bus

i have questions about what i am doing next on the bus

is there an easy way to troubleshoot the dash... sum of the dials dont work sum do....
the blinkers are nonoperational .... any advice
im sure this is in the manual pied typer sent me just cant find it

the windows we wanted to replace the school bus windows were a bit spendy and its a easy cut on the budget "cuz the fancy plywood" is there a thread on screens for the original windows

is a portable colman stove a good range top.... this is what i plan to use.... do i need to vent it....condensation is my concern oh and monoxide

i had more questions but as i type i draw a blank
Old 01-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

On the stove thing, here is a clip from another forum that might give you ideas. Frankly, I wouldn't touch ANY stove top that can't give me 10k plus BTU per burner. WASTE of time and money. Worth the investment. My next one is going to be this baby as I gave away the Coleman due to low BTU frustrations. This comes in several types and even a caseless one for $90 (missing the red casing).

Quote:
To save propane, gen fuel, and batteries, I suggest getting a few 12volt dodads, like the 12v oven lunch box which is good for heating things up but not for cooking. 12volt pizza oven seems decent for toasting and some warming up (does hotdogs too, meaning no boiling water). I find these cheaply made so never leave them alone in case they burst into flame. *shrug*

Boiling water is by far our most energy consuming need and we do rice (real, not that instant stuff) and noodles darn near daily. It takes a high btu to boil it fast and with some fuel effeciency. Try a propane stove that gives 10k (15k rocks!) or more to EACH burner or at least to one. You can save rice cooking time by soaking the rice an hour or more before cooking (tastes better that way imo). I found it helps to use food/liquid that is room temp before trying to boil.

Get a real good thermalcooker. It can do rice, beans, stews, basically anything you do in a crock can be done in one of them and they only need a quick boil to get started. There are plans on the web (google) that show how to make your own. Heck, I can cook rice for 4 in a normal pot with lid and a sleeping bag wrapped around the pot. Gotta love ancient cooking methods. heh

BBQs are nice but fuel is costly, imo. Get a grill that can fit several items on one side and at least one pot on the other. No lightweight stuff, need heavy, like pro pots or cast iron. This way you can boil water or cook a pot of something on one side while doing the usual grilling on the other.
For best heat distribution if you are not using cast iron I HIGHLY suggest getting a cast iron diffuser. It is a caster iron plate that sits over your propane grate or bbq grill that you set a pot on. Does wonders to help distribute and hold heat. Also really handy for campfire cooking, which do a lot.

I use the generator/shore power to power a high watt lovely covection roaster oven (not a microwave) that toasts, roasts, and bakes the most lovely breads and cheesecake.

I don't do oil inside, ever. Too smelly and risky. But there are a couple recipes I like to do now and then that require oil frying. I read how some use tradional wok like bowls (look up authentic asian cookware) to super heat oil over hot coals. My roomy says asians have been frying foods this way for ages. *shrug* Something I will be trying this summer

Solar cookers. People swear by them but I've never owned a well built one. I made a cardboard one once that sort of cooked muffins for me and failed to cook my ham and beans. I figure what I need it to cook the thermapot can cook for me, so only thing I need one for is bread. They say it does great bread. We'll see.
I don't plan to put in an exhaust fan, rather use the window and a 12volt fan set in it if need be. Less holes, less power consumption is my goal. I do own a monoxide and propane alarm, just in case.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #69
Skoolie

well things have been slow.....real slow.....
but i have gathered some materials and made a little progress
first off what have we been doing....went to the junk yard and salvaged a water pump, and fresh water tank 20 bucks for the two of them....and we got an rv door for 25 bucks

ok first up is the door we hung it with 2x4s and then skined the ugly edges with flashing

then we removed the windows we didnt want to replace with rv windows and cut plywood to fit in place

the we skinned the ply with flashing they didnt have it in the sizes we needed so we overlapped so it would fit .....assembly lining made the process go quick

the first one we did looks bad but by the fourteenth window we had it looking good ...its funny how on a project like this as soon as you get the hang of somthing its time to move on to sumthing else

all in all im pleased with how it turned out
Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #70
Skoolie

thnks for the tips dewds......
i sealed them up with a paintable metal sealant and i guess i read that flashing takes a special paint to adhear to it {spell check is coming up? wtf}

the real reason progress has been slow is the city building inspector has made me move the bus out of our R1 status yard so i moved blunder to a storage facility and it is hard to adjust to sumone elses schedule

but all in all it really has pushed me to get blunder legal, i will post a topic about that process later

got started on insulation of the walls and furring strips to attach paneling

oh and i patched over the back flashers
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

The new RV Door looks good, you did a good job fitting that in!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #72
Skoolie

we finished insulating the walls under where we are going to panel and we also put up furring strips ,,that took a little longer than i wanted because staying on task was not easy

i also engineered a way to keep the back door { future garage area door} open when we are loading and unloading stuffs,,,and a good thing i put it to use in a day where gust were reported at 60 miles per hour..needless to say i will need a stronger spring

and i put another hasp on to keep the chain from rubbing the paint when the chain is not in use..but again the spring failed

went to a semi/bus graveyard and salvaged sum mirrors...i broke blunders the first time i pulled up to our house......got to remember the trees

also you can easily see the new home of blunder..the storage lot

ok so on this next one do you think the placement will fly with the inspectors where and how it sits, i can see well with it but that black stripe through the mirror may pose a problem ...i know the windows will need to be replaced
Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #73
Skoolie

the spring before it failed was keeping the chain off the paint
i have seen those plastic latches break a lot...at the rv graveyard i didnt see one that was still whole
Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #74
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

from a few posts back... according to Dictionary.com.... "ADHERE"

ad·here? ?/æd?h??r/ Show Spelled [ad-heer] Show IPA verb,-hered, -her·ing.
–verb (used without object)
1.to stay attached; stick fast; cleave; cling (usually fol. by to): The mud adhered to his shoes.
2.Physics. (of two or more dissimilar substances) to be united by a molecular force acting in the area of contact.
3.to be devoted in support or allegiance; be attached as a follower or upholder (usually fol. by to): to adhere to a party.
4.to hold closely or firmly (usually fol. by to): to adhere to a plan.
5.Obsolete. to be consistent.
–verb (used with object)
6.to cause to adhere; make stick: Glue will adhere the tiles to the wallboard.

Anyway, the window in the RV door. Is it tinted? It looks rather small. Sit in the drivers seat and look out of it. I have an RV door in my bus and it sucks. I dont like it at all. I have been on the lookout for something bigger to replace it with.
My complaints about it are that it sits too low in the door. and it doesnt provide a very large field of view. It makes me feel paranoid as hell that I am going to not see a car and because of that when I pull on to the road from a cross street or parking lot or whatever I end up doing all kinds of moving around in the seat to try to see around the door and all the blind spots that the RV door creates.
I Like the RV door itself in there but I strongly suggest finding a larger and maybe clear window to retrofit into the door. Thats my plans when I find one.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #75
Skoolie

yeah im not 100% happy with the door window....and after seeing smittys bus door im down right pissed i didnt just "fix" our bus door
i have set an extra walleye lens mirror on the mirror arm just to feel comfortable with my line of sight on the pass side

last week i worked on the electrical kludge that was the wiring ... i removed all the interior lights/speakers and traced them back and disconnected the leads from the power and the switches on the panel..same with the upper flashers ...and and and
i have done a lot on blunder this week i have about 75% of the kitchen i bought a 2.5 cbft 3way fridge a small rv stove and a utility sink...a long with 7 feet of cabinets and counter top

oh and the wheel well boxes are done

thnx cooler for the adhere spelling lesson .....
Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #76
Skoolie

wheel well boxes ... if u have seen one u have seen em all

sink, counter tops , and cabinets

propane range and oven

3way fridge 2.5 cubic feet

cabinet view

PICS!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Just thought I'd mention that I used metal panels cut to fit from used vending machine going to scrap to cover the windows I removed. Someone could also find junk washers and dryers and use that metal to cover up the windows.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #78
Skoolie

yeah wmah i wanted to use heavier metals for the windows but i was sick of cutting heavier gauge metal with all the patches from the floor...the only thing i dont like about the flashing is the prep required for painting......... the wrinkles dont mean **** to me...

thanks smitty well wishes from the guru of buses is always a reason to hit it hard the next day

i am also going to install a back up camera that i bought from wal mart ......{the china store as my dad calls it} it was 350.00 and i got it for 100.00 and it has gps navigation , mp3 , jpg ,and sd video ..so it was a must.... mp3 ,jpg and vid are via sd card
more pics from that soon
Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #79
Skoolie

blunder has been primed ...

they reflective quality of the paint makes the top look blue
we used rustolelum smoke grey metal primer.....and rolled it on and used brushes for the detail

we start framing in rooms today...
oh and we ordered the replacement windshield pieces from bluebird and they are shipping out today.....
next after that is blinkers.... they still dont work
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #80
Skoolie

to much has been done to our bus in our cameras absence to really do this thread any favors.. but we have been living in the bus for 4 months rented out our house and are headed south to austin soon .. its to cold for us on the high plains ... i will try to upload sum pics of the things i like the most .. hope all is well in your world ...