Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Further east then. The gf lives between Harrisburg and Lancaster. I guess that's still considered central PA.
Etown area... I know that game.

BoringGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGravy View Post
Etown area... I know that game.
That's her mailing address. Now if you know the Village of Rheems I'll be impressed. I never knew it existed before she moved there.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
That's her mailing address. Now if you know the Village of Rheems I'll be impressed. I never knew it existed before she moved there.
Of course, it may as well be the same town. It goes....meh(basically empty)... Etown... (meh, basically empty (rheems))... Mount Joy. Lol.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Of course, it may as well be the same town. It goes....meh(basically empty)... Etown... (meh, basically empty (rheems))... Mount Joy. Lol.
Impressed I am. Etown sucks. You either end up in Hburg or Lancaster for anything. Mt. Joy at least has the Tractor Supply.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Impressed I am. Etown sucks. You either end up in Hburg or Lancaster for anything. Mt. Joy at least has the Tractor Supply.
Well... as a college kid, looking for trouble... Etown was awesome.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well... as a college kid, looking for trouble... Etown was awesome.
Really? Aside from tipping cows, what is there?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Really? Aside from tipping cows, what is there?
Nothing you can't find at your typical college or university. Intelligent, like-minded people... people who encourage the things that make you weird... and the smell of chocolate in the air (the one thing you'll only find at Etown)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Nothing you can't find at your typical college or university. Intelligent, like-minded people... people who encourage the things that make you weird... and the smell of chocolate in the air (the one thing you'll only find at Etown)
That I'll give you but like minded. Doesn't need to be a college town for that. Nor do I consider E-town to be a "college town". sure there's a college there but FSU student population is twice all of E-town and there isn't much of nothing in Tallahassee either. Largest private employer is/was a grocery store chain.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
That I'll give you but like minded. Doesn't need to be a college town for that. Nor do I consider E-town to be a "college town". sure there's a college there but FSU student population is twice all of E-town and there isn't much of nothing in Tallahassee either. Largest private employer is/was a grocery store chain.
I liked that it was small... basically the size of my high school. You're right, doesn't have to be a college. It does help to be surrounded by people wanting a similar thing, though. I wouldn't change the experience for anything. Nothing to do. You're forced to interact and do weird **** with classmates.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
I liked that it was small... basically the size of my high school. You're right, doesn't have to be a college. It does help to be surrounded by people wanting a similar thing, though. I wouldn't change the experience for anything. Nothing to do. You're forced to interact and do weird **** with classmates.
It's got a few bars and a few coffee shops but not much else. You youngin's didn't even get to drink (legally) in college until you were almost out. I'm old enough that the military was still grandfathered in at 18. And by time I was out I was 22.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
It's got a few bars and a few coffee shops but not much else. You youngin's didn't even get to drink (legally) in college until you were almost out. I'm old enough that the military was still grandfathered in at 18. And by time I was out I was 22.
I had a different agenda, I guess. Not to say I wasn't partying as well.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
I had a different agenda, I guess. Not to say I wasn't partying as well.
I didn't do much drinking either especially considering the reputation that the Navy has for it. I just don't see E-town as a drinking location. Isn't all that artsy-fartsy either. Definitely has the small town feel tho. The 30th HS reunion is this year. For the 20th, most of my class lived out of town. It'll be interesting to compare with the gf's class from Lititz. I'm willing to bet that the majority still live within 15 miles of the house they grew up in. Fine for some people but pure hell for me. I was born to be a gypsy hence the need for a bus!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I didn't do much drinking either especially considering the reputation that the Navy has for it. I just don't see E-town as a drinking location. Isn't all that artsy-fartsy either. Definitely has the small town feel tho. The 30th HS reunion is this year. For the 20th, most of my class lived out of town. It'll be interesting to compare with the gf's class from Lititz. I'm willing to bet that the majority still live within 15 miles of the house they grew up in. Fine for some people but pure hell for me. I was born to be a gypsy hence the need for a bus!
Certainly. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Walls and Windows

I finished up framing the driver and passenger walls. DONE! I then moved to framing out the windows. I wanted a lot of depth... and I got it. I now have approx. 4 inch window sills. I am pretty happy with how they came out. Still need some trim pieces. I lost a lot of space to those deep walls, but I am happy with R-20ish... lots of dimension to the windows/walls... and far fewer windows to bleed hot/cold air.
Attached Thumbnails
20.jpg   24.jpg   27.jpg   26.jpg  
Old 02-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #35
Skoolie

Damn dude you're moving quick. Seems like you knew what you're doing. Lucky you, haha. I'll be following

Ig gypsybirdbus
Wutm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutm8 View Post
Damn dude you're moving quick. Seems like you knew what you're doing. Lucky you, haha. I'll be following
Thanks! I have had this project in the back of my mind for years. When I was 4 or 5 years old I had the choice of going to daycare or going to my step-monster's jobsites. I chose the jobsites. 25 years of that environment helped me a lot. Not too many people in their late 20's with 20-25 years of building experience.

Honestly, though, I am fairly lazy with this project. Work 45 hours a week... put in another 30+ at the bus. I spend most of my bus time just chilling in a camping chair with the heat on. Work for 30 min... sit and browse the internet for an hour... back-and-forth. The prior research and planning has made the whole process go super smooth, and fairly cheap.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up

great build! really like what you are deciding to do.. gives me ideas. Although I will look like a cave man going at mine compared to this.

Will be following...

-Tyler
tfarrskoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
I finished up framing the driver and passenger walls. DONE! I then moved to framing out the windows. I wanted a lot of depth... and I got it. I now have approx. 4 inch window sills. I am pretty happy with how they came out. Still need some trim pieces. I lost a lot of space to those deep walls, but I am happy with R-20ish... lots of dimension to the windows/walls... and far fewer windows to bleed hot/cold air.
Interesting... so you just double stacked the 2x4s at the bottom? Any particular reason you didn't just turn them sideways? In the last picture it looks like you have 10 window boxes. Did you keep the bottom half of all your windows? 1st and 2nd pic look like some of the windows are covered up.

I do like the window "pockets" but I don't know if I would want to give up that much real estate. Hurry up and finish your bus so we can see the finished product to see if it's worth it!!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Interesting... so you just double stacked the 2x4s at the bottom? Any particular reason you didn't just turn them sideways? In the last picture it looks like you have 10 window boxes. Did you keep the bottom half of all your windows? 1st and 2nd pic look like some of the windows are covered up.

I do like the window "pockets" but I don't know if I would want to give up that much real estate. Hurry up and finish your bus so we can see the finished product to see if it's worth it!!
They are furring strips I picked up for SUPER cheap... so they are only .75ish" thick. Turning them sideways wouldn't give me enough space to screw/nail into. Plus, laminating 2 together actually makes it stronger than a single piece.

I ended up painting all the bottoms of the windows, since I decided to cover them all. I think that answers that question. Not sure.

I'm trying! Almost 3 months in. I actually have more pics to upload one of these days. These are from 2-3 weeks ago. I am on a delay here.

The window pockets are awesome. Yes, I did lose real-estate. BUT, I can still fit a king bed long ways wall to wall. That is all that mattered to me. I have a really large open plan for the livingroom/bedroom. I get awesome insulation... and more space than I need in the living area.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
The increased insulation is worth losing the space in my opinion, thermal efficiency being almost non existent on a stock bus. I didn't know that the inner skins on these busses was structural.