Old 06-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Yep...my shorty has no underbelly space left so I am building a little 24" deck full width on the rear. It will also have another 24" hinged section that folds up so that when docked I can drop it down and have a 4 foot deep, off the ground patio. The genny will hang on one corner with it's fuel tank under the deck. It will also be home to a spare tire that locks up underneath.

BTW...what is your take on this for a driver side, engine driven A/C unit?

http://www.danhard.com/826.htm
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: Cummins 5.9L IBS6
Rated Cap: 72C 48A
Electrical Update

I ended up putting a Honda eu7000is on top. Its working great. Have about 250 hours on it without fail. Use it to run AC on the bus overnight and anything else we need, sometime run a full 6 piece band on it with full sound. I ran Romex from the generator, through the AC frame mount on the roof, into the ceiling of the bus, to a box I have inside.

The big box on top of the bis is the housing for the generator. Putting gas in is the only drawback...
Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Heat while running down the interstate

I ended up installing a 13.5k BTU Heatpump to the roof of the bus. It works well when the bus isin't running. If the Bus is running, the heat coming off the engine over takes the Bus and it get warm pretty quick. Ran the bus to Iowa and back in July (90+deg heat), about 1,100 miles each way. It ended up being cooler running with the windows down rather than keeping the AC running.

I was wondering about either spray foaming the engine compartment along the firewall and a little back under the bus, or would it be better to buy some insulating mats/heat shield. Or is it even worth it to do that and just get a Danhard AC as suggested and run that while the bus is running, but that seems like fixing a symptom rather than a cure.

I feel like part of the problem too is the coolant lines that run through the dash and to the left of the drivers seat (which runs the heat). Might be best to just remove these, and live without bus heaters and use the Heat pump in the winter (don't use the bus as much in the winter).

Any advice on keeping cool while running would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 AM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Wow. I haven't seen a photo of your bus in a while. Looks great! I love the generator dog house. A 270 pound generator bolted to the deck 10 feet in the air is probably fairly theft-resistant, too.

The only suggestion I'd offer is that the Romex lead would best be replaced by another type of cable. Romex insulation isn't UV rated, it isn't approved for wet or damp locations (ie outdoors) and the solid conductors aren't appropriate for a cord-and-plug type connection. It isn't something that's going to melt and cause a catastrophe right away, but it'd be good to put on the to-do list to replace that outdoor section with something better. I think type SOOW cord would be a good choice, and it's available by the foot in most of the big box stores now in a mix of 3 or 4 conductor from 14 down to 10 or even 8 gauge.

Also FYI there's a widget called a "cable gland" that provides strain relief and water-tight seal for passing round cable such as SOOW to the interior of the bus.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Family Wagon. Good advice on the Romex replacement. I put it inside a pvc pipe and ran it under the deck on the roof so UV shouldn't be an issue but it definately gets wet. For the plug I used the locking 20amp locking plug as was suggested for more amperage. I keep them plugged in all the time and don't plug and unplug. I'm sure Its easy enough to wire a SWOOT wire to a plug, but is there a better way to permanently connect to a generator?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #56

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird Bus Co.
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I just saw your post on here, I am in Kennesaw, I have a 40 BB RE- I would love to see your bus sometime. It looks amazing.
mikerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
It being a portable generator, the cord-and-plug connection is really the only way to do it (short of modifying the generator). Portables just aren't designed for a hard-wire install. With flexible cord and maybe a strain relief clamp somewhere nearby (mounted with one of the existing bolts on the handle, perhaps) I think it'll do fine.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love hopw the color schem,e is on the window frames too! that rocks.. .did you paint it on or is it wrapped?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#bragbus, #brageorgia