Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
Brake problem

Hi,

I've got hydraulic disc brakes on a 96 Amtran Genesis bus. The brakes seem to be working fine, but after I run for 20 minutes or more, then pull into a station or whatever, the "Brake Press" warning light comes on and sounds the alarm. I topped off the brake fluid, not that it was very low to begin with, but it keep happening. Last time it happened I was 30 miles from home, I couldn't come up with a fix, and it seemed to be running and braking fine, so I drove it carefully home, no issues all the way.

Any ideas what could be causing this alarm to go off and how to fix it?

Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Hi,

I've got hydraulic disc brakes on a 96 Amtran Genesis bus. The brakes seem to be working fine, but after I run for 20 minutes or more, then pull into a station or whatever, the "Brake Press" warning light comes on and sounds the alarm. I topped off the brake fluid, not that it was very low to begin with, but it keep happening. Last time it happened I was 30 miles from home, I couldn't come up with a fix, and it seemed to be running and braking fine, so I drove it carefully home, no issues all the way.

Any ideas what could be causing this alarm to go off and how to fix it?
I would change the pressure switch first
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Skoolie

Where is the pressure switch on a hydraulic system? That's what confused me at first, I'm used to seeing this on an air system, but never seen it on a hydraulic one.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 AM   #4
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
is there a common that you can see? is it always after "20 minutes/30 miles" or so? if so, i would look at maybe sticking calipers or water boiling in the lines.

or it may just be a bad switch....................... test resistance before your morning start, and again after alarm sounds. also, check all those pesky grounds.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
Skoolie

It is always after at least 20 minutes of driving it on the road. If it has time to cool down the alarm goes away. this is what first led me to believe it was just low fluid, but it seems that the time I spent getting the fluid and putting it in was enough for it to cool down.

It also is only when I come to a complete stop, after driving for a while. on and off the brakes in traffic doesn't set it off. I thought it might be a stuck caliper at that point, but with a 190 hp motor I would think I could feel the extra drag of a stuck caliper, and the last 30 mile run would have over heated the brakes if that was the case.

I'll look into the switch this weekend, I assume it should be located somewhere near the master cylinder.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It should be near the master cylinder or look down the lines for a proportioning valve.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
I don't want to be a jerk, but this thread really should belong in the Mechanical & Drivetrain forum. Maybe a moderator could move it?

This forum needs to be reserved for actual build threads. I know the OP has a build thread and if he wants to ask specific questions in that thread, that's fine, but this forum could be cluttered pretty quick if every question had its own thread.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
I don't want to be a jerk, but this thread really should belong in the Mechanical & Drivetrain forum. Maybe a moderator could move it?

This forum needs to be reserved for actual build threads. I know the OP has a build thread and if he wants to ask specific questions in that thread, that's fine, but this forum could be cluttered pretty quick if every question had its own thread.
Good point. I agree.

Did someone pm a mod? I'm not sure who is who when it comes to mods now.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, amtran, brake pressure, brakes, hydraulic