Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #171
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Today we experienced our first bus/goat related discrimination. We're at Dan's sister's house in a residential neighborhood. The elderly neighbors don't approve of the "eyesore" and "farm animal." In the past two days two different sheriffs came by and said they had received complaints about the bus. They asked us if we were staying there and if we had pets and what kind of pets, and we explained our situation. They said we weren't breaking any laws and as long as we made sure we weren't in the way of anyone's driveway we're fine. One was actually super interested in the bus and loved what we were doing.

Today a news reporter came by and said some people had reported a "green school bus full of goats" and wanted to hear our story. Of course, at the moment she showed up I was looking like a mess cleaning out the goat pen with all of our belongings strewn around behind the back deck. Not exactly the 15 minutes of fame we were looking for. I told her it would be better to do an interview after I finished getting everything clean.
Today was supposed to be a deep cleaning day because Dan's uber-clean mother is flying down in a couple days and I don't want her to think we live in filth.

As the reporter was leaving a code enforcement officer showed up, got out of his car and started taking pictures without speaking to me. I asked him if anything was wrong and he said this area is zoned residential and we were breaking the code by having a goat, and by plugging our bus up to the outdoor house outlet. We explained that this was OK with the sheriffs, but he said he outranked them. After explaining the situation for an hour we had to settle for a citation (without a fine luckily) and move the bus into the tiny driveway. The goat's pen is set up so that she doesn't have to leave the bus for any reason but exercise, so we can drive to the dog park and let her run around every few days and she's happy. We'll be here until Dan's sister is home from the hospital, and then hopefully we'll be on the road to visit EastCoastCB!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #172
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Residential FL...
The code enforcement treatment cost me my first bus when I lived downtown in Leesburg.
Come out our way when you can and let that goat roam around some!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #173
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Onenationundergoat was on the news! “One Nation Under Goat” Bus Swings Through Gainesville | WUFT News
Old 01-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #174
Bus Geek

Sucks, but pretty typical of what I've experienced with owning a bus. I can imagine the persecution would be worse with such a large and bio-diverse family!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #175
Mini-Skoolie

Very cool to see your bus on the news!

But it must have been a very slow day in town when "Hey, everybody, look-- a goat!" makes it on the evening news. I wish the story had shown more of the bus.

And your goat is smaller than many dogs (and is probably quieter and poops smaller)... what's the big deal that the neighbors disapprove of?
ArmyChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #176
Bus Geek

In central to northern FL, that is BIG news!
Around this time of year the local yokels start to watch for "rainbow family" folks who are traveling down here to Buck Lake for the annual love-in. It usually makes the news, too.
Around here is considered the retirement capital of the east coast. Every other house is occupied by old farts. One thing I've learned is that squares and old farts are the natural enemies of bus folk.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #177
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Around here is considered the retirement capital of the east coast. Every other house is occupied by old farts. One thing I've learned is that squares and old farts are the natural enemies of bus folk.
That's a little strange. It's my impression that a good number of folks on this forum ARE old farts!

At 62, I resemble that remark.
dan-fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #178
Bus Geek

The old farts I'm referring to are herded into the Villages and are a general menace to the rest of us in central Fl.

scenes like this are common here^

When rainbows start drifting into town, the locals take notice!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #179
Bus Geek

This one is too funny

Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #180
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: Freightshaker
Engine: 5.9 cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 6 passenger 2 ATV's
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
In central to northern FL, that is BIG news!
Around this time of year the local yokels start to watch for "rainbow family" folks who are traveling down here to Buck Lake for the annual love-in. It usually makes the news, too.

You have most of our old farts...they call 'em "snow birds". Head out from the great white north to the sunny skies of Florida, have fun with that, lol.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote