Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
We're going to do the roll of screening down along the outside. I've seen a couple buses done that way and they do well going down the road. They attached vertical strips between EVERY window for a better hold of the screen.

My problem will be that I won't be screening the emergency windows from the outside because I love having them swing open, especially when it's raining. I plan to make 4 (more if I could find some cheap swing outs to replace the regular windows) removable screens that I can attach inside, I got ideas but not sure if they will work out.

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Wow you have accomplished a lot on your bus in a short amount of time. I am curious, is your air conditioner supported in any way on the outside wall of the bus? Or is it just supported and held in place by the re-bar inside of the bus (as well as the bus wall). I have a bluebird also and wanted to put an air conditioner in the very same window that you put yours, but the back wall of my bus slants inward and I have no figured out a good way to make the air conditioner sit level.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T Liner MVP
Engine: 12V Cummins
Rated Cap: 75
THAT... Was fun!!!!!
Great job and totally hilarious...
Taking a goat into Union Square...
Hilarious...
Taking her to Bourbon St...
RISKY!!!!!! LOL
USMCRockinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
We're going to do the roll of screening down along the outside. I've seen a couple buses done that way and they do well going down the road. They attached vertical strips between EVERY window for a better hold of the screen.

My problem will be that I won't be screening the emergency windows from the outside because I love having them swing open, especially when it's raining. I plan to make 4 (more if I could find some cheap swing outs to replace the regular windows) removable screens that I can attach inside, I got ideas but not sure if they will work out.

I'd love to leave the emergency windows able to swing out as well, but with cats everything has to be escape-proof. We'll be making a frame for each individual window and screwing them in permanently. In two of the windows I'm eventually going to make a slide-out cage shelf thingy so that the cats and rabbit can go out on it to sit in the sun and enjoy the outdoors without actually going outside.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
I am curious, is your air conditioner supported in any way on the outside wall of the bus? Or is it just supported and held in place by the re-bar inside of the bus (as well as the bus wall).
Right now it's just temporary. Our wall slants inward, too, but we just have the AC kinda balanced on it. The Bottom of the AC is about 5 inches inside the window, and the top is flush with it. The rebar on the top is helping hold it in, but it's really just for in case the wooden window insert fails. The rebar on the bottom doesn't really touch at the moment.

My dad is fabricating us a sheet metal replacement for the wooden window insert, and it will be made so that the bottom is supported. That way it will hold it in place without any additional external bracket.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRockinRV View Post
Taking her to Bourbon St...
RISKY!!!!!! LOL
Ha. Actually we didn't take her at night time because we were worried (and for good reason) that she might be um.... violated.... by the crowd. We walked her there around lunchtime but she still got to meet some stumblin' folks!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Last night we sanded and this morning I painted the freezer with three coats of appliance epoxy. It looks almost good as new!

Before:

We cut out the luan to cover the bed and couch frames, and bought butterscotch colored stain and varnish to put on it. The only thing is, the stuff has to be applied when it's below 90 degrees for 6 hours at a time, and if we wait for night when it's cool then it's too humid and all the bugs fall in it.

We moved the sink cabinet and pantry cabinet into the kitchen, and the wardrobe into the bedroom. I'll have to build a platform for it to sit on since it goes on top of the wheel well.

The cats have to chill in their cages while we work since they're not allowed in the house. They're the first full-time residents of the bus! Here's Frankenstein watching us work.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Looks like he's about to say..."it's pronounced Frahn-ken-steen".

Great build guys...keep the pix coming!
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T Liner MVP
Engine: 12V Cummins
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
Ha. Actually we didn't take her at night time because we were worried (and for good reason) that she might be um.... violated.... by the crowd. We walked her there around lunchtime but she still got to meet some stumblin' folks!

OMG... I think I just laughed a snot bubble~
USMCRockinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
In two of the windows I'm eventually going to make a slide-out cage shelf thingy so that the cats and rabbit can go out on it to sit in the sun and enjoy the outdoors without actually going outside.

Oh, you got me thinking now on that one (I got 2 cats too). Are you planning on doing the above in the emergency windows? That would solve my problem with screening the emergency windows from the inside (and at least on of my cats would just love it). That's also a great idea for those who have those ankle bitter dogs. Two of my dogs would only get their heads stuck.

BTW: I LOVE YOUR RED SINK
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote