Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im running these on the drives of DEV..

Uniroyal Truck Tire Selector | Uniroyal Truck Tires

-Christopher
Those look like nice tires, I like the tread design. A little less aggressive, but great for a lil extra traction AND lots of highway miles.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #42
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im running these on the drives of DEV..

Uniroyal Truck Tire Selector | Uniroyal Truck Tires

-Christopher
Kinda similar
Disbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #43
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Those look like nice tires, I like the tread design. A little less aggressive, but great for a lil extra traction AND lots of highway miles.
Thanks, i wanted to go more aggressive like the Falken tire below, but the tire guy talked me out of it. I think aggressive looks better, and of course has better traction when needed. And if i sell this thing, the customer these days will possibly be at places like Burning Man, Mexico, off-grid living, etc.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #44
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
i DON'T LIKE USING DIFFERENT TIRE BRANDS UNLESS SOMEONE FOUND A SWEET spot where they will work together. (darn caps)
Yes, i typically agree with you. I discussed this with the tire guy who said it was more about the type of tire in this case. Steering or drive tire.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #45
Skoolie

I am not far from Mojave Air storage and airplane boneyard. I'm going to go look for some overhead bins for my overhead storage.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #46
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
I'm about to get a bus like this for our family - one child is wheelchair bound. I'm super curious about your layout and accommodating needing to maneuver around with a chair. Do you have any plans or interior pics? The lift on the bus I'm looking at is in the middle.
natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 AM   #47
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
I'm about to get a bus like this for our family - one child is wheelchair bound. I'm super curious about your layout and accommodating needing to maneuver around with a chair. Do you have any plans or interior pics? The lift on the bus I'm looking at is in the middle.
I think the lift in the middle is good for emergency exit vs. in the back where you may have obstacles.

I think overhead storage is useful for keeping floor space. For wheelchairs floor space is essential.

I am thinking instead of two sides of the bus lined with cabinets, stagger them so the center isle is not too narrow. in front of every floor cabinet is open space to the other side of the bus.

And a large bathroom that pushes the isle to one side like old train cars.

Those are some of my thoughts but i see new things that will work all the time.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #48
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbus View Post
I think the lift in the middle is good for emergency exit vs. in the back where you may have obstacles.

I think overhead storage is useful for keeping floor space. For wheelchairs floor space is essential.

I am thinking instead of two sides of the bus lined with cabinets, stagger them so the center isle is not too narrow. in front of every floor cabinet is open space to the other side of the bus.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the silence. I like the idea of elevating storage to enable wider isles. I'm also considering a modular design so I can potentially move walls to form "rooms" and also raise/lower surfaces to created sleeping surfaces at night. We'll see how it all come together. Buying the 28' this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbus View Post

A large bathroom is really nice. The only problem with a side aisle is with the curved roof the ceiling height is reduced. If you are not tall it isn't a problem. If you are tall it could be. You also have to watch where the aisle is in respect to the fenders over the wheels.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
A center island...this will likely be a first...and interesting to follow. Just take & post lots of pix!
Like Tango said!! Gonna watch this one for sure !!

Gonna be one of a kind (but then again, aren't they all?). Please keep us posted!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #51
Skoolie

The transfer seat i bought for the bus was damaged during shipment. It's in the bus but not usable now. I will fix it when I get the bus home.

For now I'll drive it from Georgia to SoCal from my chair. Once the heater is removed there's plenty of room to sit behind the wheel comfortably and relatively securely.

There is more than enough room front to back and side to side. Hmm, maybe keep it drive-from-chair.....or removable captain's chair.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Is there some sort of clamp setup or receiver that a chair would go in for the purposes of driving? Or do you just set the brakes on the chair?

Also, IIRC you mentioned hand controls earlier. I assume you've had those installed if you need them? I for one would appreciate seeing a pic or two. Thanks in advance -
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Disbus, While you are traveling cross country, keep an eye out on various C/Ls. There are always good bucket seats, with bases, that may be a good fit for you. I'd think that a van, SUV, or pickup truck seats would be the best fit. I have found that many from cars don't fit and may be harder to transfer to.
Good luck, be safe, and let us know.

BTW if you're traveling thru the Houston area, let me know and we may be able to offer a bed for a night or 2.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Disbus, While you are traveling cross country, keep an eye out on various C/Ls. There are always good bucket seats, with bases, that may be a good fit for you. I'd think that a van, SUV, or pickup truck seats would be the best fit. I have found that many from cars don't fit and may be harder to transfer to.
Good luck, be safe, and let us know.

BTW if you're traveling thru the Houston area, let me know and we may be able to offer a bed for a night or 2.
Thank you 1olfart,

I have a transfer seat base and captains chair for it but the transfer seat was damaged in transit. It is in the back of the bus. I will install it when i get the bus home. Hard to do from 2000 miles away.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #55
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Is there some sort of clamp setup or receiver that a chair would go in for the purposes of driving? Or do you just set the brakes on the chair?

Also, IIRC you mentioned hand controls earlier. I assume you've had those installed if you need them? I for one would appreciate seeing a pic or two. Thanks in advance -
I will be using a portable hand control similar to the one in the pic below.

The footrest of my chair will fit up against the steering column and I will secure it so i don't move back and forth. Side to side there will be no room for my chair to move. I will use the seat belt to keep me in the chair.

There is a product called an EZ Lok, see pic below. They are used frequently. And a seat belt to keep you in the chair itself. I will not be using this just posted it FYI.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #56
Skoolie

I've had the bus home now a little while. A hair raising ride at times. Georgia to Socal. 6 days. Every kind of weather possible. Rain, sun, wind, snow, hail, tornado warning, lightning.

I have been able to measure things and I have looked at the ideas I had and if they work or not. I got the driver's area clear and I'm fitting the 6 way transfer seat. Any recommendations for a captain's chair?

Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
In this area seats from wrecked MHs are cheap, like $15. The trick is getting one mounted in the driver's area while still enabling it to swivel for use as a chair while you're not driving.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #58
Bus Geek

I missed the point, didn't I? The air ride mechanizm is coming out, isn't it?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #59
Skoolie

Yes, the seat base rotates over 90 degrees.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #60
Bus Geek

I've also been wanting to change my seating quality. I still use my bus seats for the passenger area, especially since they already have the seatbelts on them. A nice captain's chair to replace the OEM driver's seat is my goal.

I was surprised to see that you did not get the flat floor version of your bus. Having those wheel wells gone from the floor really helps.

« Blue bus #7 | #27 »