Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #61
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I've also been wanting to change my seating quality. I still use my bus seats for the passenger area, especially since they already have the seatbelts on them. A nice captain's chair to replace the OEM driver's seat is my goal.

I was surprised to see that you did not get the flat floor version of your bus. Having those wheel wells gone from the floor really helps.
It's not easy to get everything you want in a bus. Floor space is key. A flat floor version? I'll look.

Disbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yes, a flat floor version like the one I've got. No wheel wells whatsoever inside. Just a big metal box with wheels and a flat floor.

These handi-buses usually have the 19.5" wheels, as compared to the more frequent 22.5" wheels. I have a mid sized (26') FE that has about 40% more floor space than a 25' dognose shorty. It's my first flat floor bus and my first FE.

There are both, FE and dognose handi buses in the medium length.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My WC bus isn't a flat floor, but its got wide aisles and wide stairs up front.
It came with 19.5's but the school switched over to 22.5's at some point.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #64
Bus Geek

A lot of buses have a lift. The buses that have L-track throughout the entire bus floor have flat floors.

I checked my rear tire clearance to see if I could possibly use larger wheels. There was only about 2" between the top of the tire and the floor of the bus. No wonder these ride rough. The suspension has got to be quite stiff to keep the tires from rubbing the underside of the floor, and there were no rub marks.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #65

Disbus,

I will be following your thread with great interest. My wife is disabled and we have just about decided on a bus build for my retirement. I wish you were closer to Louisiana so I could help with your project and learn some stuff.

A flat floor bus sounds interesting, I was wondering about dealing with the wheel wheels I see in so many photos.

We currently have a Toyota Van with the ramp and EZ-Lock for my wife's chair. I am currently building an electric off road capable scooter so she can enjoy some of the trails in the parks we visit.

Good luck,
"CX"

I am addicted to Brake Fluid but I can stop anytime.
ConductorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #66
Bus Geek

The flat floor buses seem to come in medium and shorty lengths. The easiest way to identify them is the comparatively low capacity rating, i.e. 14 passenger rated bus that would normally be a 30+ person capacity bus. These handi-buses have 19.5" wheels compared to the more common 22.5" to allow for the flat floor. These are most common with the WC lift in the rear, but I've seen variations occasionally with the lift mounted behind the front axle.

I have a FE model, but flat floor buses are also available in medium sized dognose buses. Narrowing you bus choices will probably cost you some time, but they're out there. It changes your build options.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #67
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConductorX View Post
Disbus,

I will be following your thread with great interest. My wife is disabled and we have just about decided on a bus build for my retirement. I wish you were closer to Louisiana so I could help with your project and learn some stuff.

A flat floor bus sounds interesting, I was wondering about dealing with the wheel wheels I see in so many photos.

We currently have a Toyota Van with the ramp and EZ-Lock for my wife's chair. I am currently building an electric off road capable scooter so she can enjoy some of the trails in the parks we visit.

Good luck,
"CX"
Ok, great. Let me know if you have any ideas. I drove it through Louisiana on my way home.

Since my wife and i both use manual wheelchairs i need to be able to get to things. I need to make sure i can service it, get to connections, fix fuses, pipe leaks, etc.

I'm currently mounting the driver's seat base and installing a permanent hand control. I have sourced a linear actuator for the side door where the wheelchair lift is. I have a five function remote key fob setup for it. I will be able to control the whole bus much like a regular wheelchair van only bigger.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #68
Bus Geek

I'm very interested in hand controls. Ignorant question- has anyone ever heard of someone using hand controls out of preference? I just hate keeping the pedal on the floor with my foot. Would be GREAT to be able to relax my legs while I'm driving, especially on the interstate.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think most people just run cruise control for that as long as they dont need hand controls for a disability.. if you are talking on your mechanical bus, electric servo cruise controls exist that can run off the speed cable for the speedometer (or sensor if its electric).. and attaches to your pedal..

even people that I know with full hand control vehicles use cruise as much as possible..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hello disbus,

I am looking into converting a slf bus into a disabled bus. This is for my Mom who is 95 and in a wheel chair. It needs also a shower and toilet usable for her.

see my request for information thread

I want to be able to get her out of the bus quickly and so was looking into slf buses. They have air suspension and can kneel with a ramp.
did you look into something like that? if you did and you decided against then please share.

Thanks J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #71
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm very interested in hand controls. Ignorant question- has anyone ever heard of someone using hand controls out of preference? I just hate keeping the pedal on the floor with my foot. Would be GREAT to be able to relax my legs while I'm driving, especially on the interstate.
Is there an aftermarket cruise control setup available? Retrofit?
Old 05-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #72
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Hello disbus,

I am looking into converting a slf bus into a disabled bus. This is for my Mom who is 95 and in a wheel chair. It needs also a shower and toilet usable for her.

see my request for information thread

I want to be able to get her out of the bus quickly and so was looking into slf buses. They have air suspension and can kneel with a ramp.
did you look into something like that? if you did and you decided against then please share.

Thanks J
A used transit bus of some kind, a shorter one, typically with a cutaway chassis from Ford or GM, etc. They often have kneeling mechanisms. But no mechanism can truly be relied on in an emergency. Always have an accessible path to an emergency exit.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbus View Post
On many electronically controlled buses, the computer has the cruise control programmed in from the factory, it is merely disabled by the software (as the factory did not install the necessary switches). Appropriate switches will have to be added, but from my understanding, the software enable is relatively easy for those with the appropriate equipment.

Mine, being an older, all-mechanical style engine, simply has a "throttle lock" which I can pull out to whatever throttle setting I desire. My bus has A/C, so I assume it was "idled up" to keep the AC cooling. I see no reason it couldn't be used as a cruise control, of sorts.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
disbus - what type of bus do you have? you can install an automotive type electric servo cruise control on a mechanical Bus...

like brad mentions if you have an electronic bus like a navistar DT-466E / T-444E. the cruise buttons are usually already o nthe dash and may or may not be enabled..

on other electronic busses you can still install an electric servo based cruise control and have it actuate the foot pedal..

Vintage-Air makes an add-on electric servo cruise control.. most of them you can attach a device to a cable driven speedometer.. or if you have an electric speedometer you can piggy-back off of that sensor... Dakota-Digital makes a signal converter that can turn any speed sensor into the signal your cruise control would need..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have cruise in my shorty. But my mechanical 92 takes ALL my muscles to keep the pedal to the floor on the highway. I'm just wondering if I wouldn't prefer to get rid of all that footwork and go for a hand setup.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I have cruise in my shorty. But my mechanical 92 takes ALL my muscles to keep the pedal to the floor on the highway. I'm just wondering if I wouldn't prefer to get rid of all that footwork and go for a hand setup.
Probably not. You'd just end up with a fatigued hand.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Probably not. You'd just end up with a fatigued hand.
Well my legs can't take long road trips, and I have extremely strong hands. I'm missing half a quadricep and have psoriatic arthritis in my feet.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #78
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
disbus - what type of bus do you have? you can install an automotive type electric servo cruise control on a mechanical Bus...

like brad mentions if you have an electronic bus like a navistar DT-466E / T-444E. the cruise buttons are usually already o nthe dash and may or may not be enabled..

on other electronic busses you can still install an electric servo based cruise control and have it actuate the foot pedal..

Vintage-Air makes an add-on electric servo cruise control.. most of them you can attach a device to a cable driven speedometer.. or if you have an electric speedometer you can piggy-back off of that sensor... Dakota-Digital makes a signal converter that can turn any speed sensor into the signal your cruise control would need..
-Christopher
My bus is a 2003 Blue Bird TC2000 with a 5.9 Cummins and Alison 545 transmission. My mechanic says it has an older fuel pump?

But yes it has cruise control. Works good.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #79
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
" But yes it has cruise control. Works good."

I WANT one!!!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:48 AM   #80
Bus Crazy

Quote:
My bus is a 2003 Blue Bird TC2000 with a 5.9 Cummins and Alison 545 transmission. My mechanic says it has an older fuel pump?

But yes it has cruise control. Works good.
Are you sure it is a 5.9L and AT545? By 2003 every bus I ever saw was totally electronic so the Cummins would have been an ISB and the Allison would have been a 2000 or 3000 series transmission.

Particularly since it has cruise control I just don't think you have a mechanical engine.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

« Blue bus #7 | #27 »