Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

The transfer seat i bought for the bus was damaged during shipment. It's in the bus but not usable now. I will fix it when I get the bus home.

For now I'll drive it from Georgia to SoCal from my chair. Once the heater is removed there's plenty of room to sit behind the wheel comfortably and relatively securely.

There is more than enough room front to back and side to side. Hmm, maybe keep it drive-from-chair.....or removable captain's chair.

Disbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Is there some sort of clamp setup or receiver that a chair would go in for the purposes of driving? Or do you just set the brakes on the chair?

Also, IIRC you mentioned hand controls earlier. I assume you've had those installed if you need them? I for one would appreciate seeing a pic or two. Thanks in advance -
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Disbus, While you are traveling cross country, keep an eye out on various C/Ls. There are always good bucket seats, with bases, that may be a good fit for you. I'd think that a van, SUV, or pickup truck seats would be the best fit. I have found that many from cars don't fit and may be harder to transfer to.
Good luck, be safe, and let us know.

BTW if you're traveling thru the Houston area, let me know and we may be able to offer a bed for a night or 2.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
Disbus, While you are traveling cross country, keep an eye out on various C/Ls. There are always good bucket seats, with bases, that may be a good fit for you. I'd think that a van, SUV, or pickup truck seats would be the best fit. I have found that many from cars don't fit and may be harder to transfer to.
Good luck, be safe, and let us know.

BTW if you're traveling thru the Houston area, let me know and we may be able to offer a bed for a night or 2.
Thank you 1olfart,

I have a transfer seat base and captains chair for it but the transfer seat was damaged in transit. It is in the back of the bus. I will install it when i get the bus home. Hard to do from 2000 miles away.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Is there some sort of clamp setup or receiver that a chair would go in for the purposes of driving? Or do you just set the brakes on the chair?

Also, IIRC you mentioned hand controls earlier. I assume you've had those installed if you need them? I for one would appreciate seeing a pic or two. Thanks in advance -
I will be using a portable hand control similar to the one in the pic below.

The footrest of my chair will fit up against the steering column and I will secure it so i don't move back and forth. Side to side there will be no room for my chair to move. I will use the seat belt to keep me in the chair.

There is a product called an EZ Lok, see pic below. They are used frequently. And a seat belt to keep you in the chair itself. I will not be using this just posted it FYI.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

I've had the bus home now a little while. A hair raising ride at times. Georgia to Socal. 6 days. Every kind of weather possible. Rain, sun, wind, snow, hail, tornado warning, lightning.

I have been able to measure things and I have looked at the ideas I had and if they work or not. I got the driver's area clear and I'm fitting the 6 way transfer seat. Any recommendations for a captain's chair?

Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
In this area seats from wrecked MHs are cheap, like $15. The trick is getting one mounted in the driver's area while still enabling it to swivel for use as a chair while you're not driving.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #58
Bus Geek

I missed the point, didn't I? The air ride mechanizm is coming out, isn't it?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, the seat base rotates over 90 degrees.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #60
Bus Geek

I've also been wanting to change my seating quality. I still use my bus seats for the passenger area, especially since they already have the seatbelts on them. A nice captain's chair to replace the OEM driver's seat is my goal.

I was surprised to see that you did not get the flat floor version of your bus. Having those wheel wells gone from the floor really helps.