Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #121
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Attachment 15575

How many you think we can fit?
That depends entirely on how many storage tanks and how good your blender is.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #123
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Engine: 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Are you really going to need the traction tires?

A tire with such an aggressive tread pattern is going to howl pretty loudly at any speed over about 35 MPH. It will also ride a bit rougher than a less aggressive tread pattern. I would also think they would tend to be more expensive than a highway tread pattern would be.

I know that on my buses and on the buses at my church I have the same tires in all positions.

My thinking is the buses are never off pavement. And if they are it is for very short distances on good gravel surfaces. So they won't ever really need extra traction for driving off road or in the mud.

They won't need traction tires if it snows because if it is snowing in town the activities are usually canceled. If the buses should end up going some place where it is slick the chains required sign usually goes up. So they won't ever really need the extra traction an aggressive tread pattern would give on ice or snow.

And lastly, most traction tires do not roll as easily or smoothly as a highway tread will roll and ride. While most conversions won't put on the miles per year a bus in service will put on in one month a 3-5% increase in fuel use can become a huge number even in a small fleet if it does a lot of miles per year.
Aggressive traction tires wear quicker. Jeep owner - I've had the Baja Claws, but the stock Wranglers last longer and wear slower. More traction/aggressive/friction = wear.
syntel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #124

I'm a quad considering a project with a similar bus. I will be driving from my chair. It looks like the near-vertical steering column will be a problem by keeping me from pulling far enough forward. Did you ever drive it from your chair? Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.
wchamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #125
Skoolie

i got the thing calibrated. Like most things, it's easy once you know how.

All Blue bird buses have a factor of 16 from the rear diff.
My tires: 11r 22.5 turn 501 revolutions a mile.
My rear diff ratio is 4.88

16x501x4.88 = 39118.08

Follow the VDO instructions, GET THE DECIMAL POINT IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

Now the gauge is dead on, checked with gps. You can adjust it a mile or two and hour by making the number bigger or smaller. 37500 will put you over, 42450 will have you under actual speed.
Disbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #126
Skoolie

All good to go in California from Georgia. No smog on vehicles over 15000 GVW. Next stop DMV. Again. Should be good.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #127
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchamb View Post
I'm a quad considering a project with a similar bus. I will be driving from my chair. It looks like the near-vertical steering column will be a problem by keeping me from pulling far enough forward. Did you ever drive it from your chair? Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.
I can't comment on driving from a wheel chair but my 95 Thomas has a tilt steering column, may be handy for getting a different driving position.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #128
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I can't comment on driving from a wheel chair but my 95 Thomas has a tilt steering column, may be handy for getting a different driving position.
Yes, mine tilts a little but it could be better. I'm using a 6 way power seat so it's very good, much better than from my chair.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #129
Skoolie

Anyone know of a good source for suspension parts? Overload springs or Add a Leaf, steering stabilizer, sway bars, etc....

I want to improve the overall front end handling.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #130
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbus View Post
Anyone know of a good source for suspension parts? Overload springs or Add a Leaf, steering stabilizer, sway bars, etc....

I want to improve the overall front end handling.
For a bus? Dunno. The RV folks have stuff but those are usually based on the F450, F550, etc. Stock you be able to get but who's going to spend the R&D money to make it better? Good luck. If you find anything let everyone here know.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #131
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Are you still out there Disbus??? Its been a couple years since your last post, hopefully all is well?
I'm a para just starting out and enjoyed reading, and pics, of your build.
Looking at a short bus build without any interior engine doghouse to get in my way.
Swivel seat is a must, and I really don't think I need a 6 way power base although it would be nice!
Rust free busses in my neck of the woods are like hen's teeth, but there will be one in my future if I have the patience to wait for the right one to come on market.
Anyhoo, post up pics of your progress if you still have your bus...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #132
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hi. If interested check out our build Dory not a skoolie..we got this bus to travel with my mother who is in a wheelchair. It is a low floor kneeling transit bus that we converted.

Good luck. J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #133

Hand controls?

Quote:
Obviously the wheelchair lift is part of the bus by design. Much better than modifying a flimsy RV. I have a set of hand controls for it and I plan to install a transfer seat in the driver's position to make getting in and out of the seat easier. Anyone who uses hand controls should be able to drive the bus.
What kind of hand controls are you putting on your bus. I’m trying to put hand controls on my international school bus. I’m used to left side hand controls but the shop said they won’t fit so I gotta get right side hand controls...the shop said I gotta get re evaluated and spend $500 on eval and another $100 to rent a car from budget with right side controls to take the test...so frustrating. I’m building a handicap bus also!!!
-Fernweh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #134
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fernweh- View Post
What kind of hand controls are you putting on your bus. I’m trying to put hand controls on my international school bus. I’m used to left side hand controls but the shop said they won’t fit so I gotta get right side hand controls...the shop said I gotta get re evaluated and spend $500 on eval and another $100 to rent a car from budget with right side controls to take the test...so frustrating. I’m building a handicap bus also!!!
Yes, everything is to the right of the steering column. I use my right hand to drive the bus. All my other cars left side. I keep the length of the fuel rod so my hand rests together with the brake close at hand. The top of the throttle is just out or the pic at top.

I use a standard Monarch hand control for the brake with left hand, fairly normal. Then I use a portable hand control throttle rod for the gas and I have a lanyard clip to keep it in position. I think in the pic it's a big zip tie. Now a much better clip is there.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #135
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Are you still out there Disbus??? Its been a couple years since your last post, hopefully all is well?
I'm a para just starting out and enjoyed reading, and pics, of your build.
Looking at a short bus build without any interior engine doghouse to get in my way.
Swivel seat is a must, and I really don't think I need a 6 way power base although it would be nice!
Rust free busses in my neck of the woods are like hen's teeth, but there will be one in my future if I have the patience to wait for the right one to come on market.
Anyhoo, post up pics of your progress if you still have your bus...
You see my latest pics and posts?? Trans cooler coming,
Old 07-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #136
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Not until you mentioned them!
Looks good. Is the cooler large enough capacity wise? It appears to be an automotive grade vs commercial/heavy duty for the bus trans.?

Is the Monarch brake control in a "natural" position for you? It looks like it might be difficult to depress in a panic stop situation?
I'm looking for a hand control that gives a more natural brake motion in pushing forward rather than pushing straight down. Perhaps I'm missing something?

On another topic, I tried the vendor you recommended for the 6 way seat base. Their price a few weeks ago was more than I spent on my bus! And they were hesitant to sell it to me directly. I hope you got it for less than full blown "retail"...
I fully realize the equipment we find ourselves needing is specialty manufactured and the liability protections these manufacturers and installers need to carry, are passed on directly to the folks that need it. But come on, really $4K?!
Rant over!

I've been brainstorming my options to get the powered seat/base combo that I need to be able to transfer onto to drive.
There is a manufacturer that makes tractor trailer air powered seats that are custom made to order with the same basic 6 way powered options for a quarter of the cost of just the seat base for us crips!
The only adder is a small 12volt compressor to operate the up~down feature.
Unless I can find a used power seat base fairly soon, it looks like I'm going the full seat/base route.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #137
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Not until you mentioned them!
Looks good.

Is the Monarch brake control in a "natural" position for you? It looks like it might be difficult to depress in a panic stop situation?
I'm looking for a hand control that gives a more natural brake motion in pushing forward rather than pushing straight down. Perhaps I'm missing something?

On another topic, I tried the vendor you recommended for the 6 way seat base. The price today was more than I spent on my bus!
I fully realize the equipment we find ourselves needing is specialty manufactured and the liability protections these manufacturers and installers need to carry, are passed on directly to the folks that need it. But come on, really $4K?!
I've been brainstorming my options to get the powered seat/base combo that I need to be able to transfer onto to drive.
There is a manufacturer that makes tractor trailer air powered seats that are custom made to order with the same basic 6 way powered options for a quarter of the cost of just the seat base for us crips!
The only adder is a small 12volt compressor to operate the up~down feature.
Unless I can find a used power seat base fairly soon, it looks like I'm going the full seat/base route.
Look at swivel seats and bases for boats too.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #138
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
I would like some Alcoa wheels if anyone knows where I can get a good price.
I know this is an old post on an old thread, but if you're still looking, truck salvage yards should have plenty of these. Many Class 8 trucks get them from the factory.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #139
Skoolie

Wheels

9x22.5 flat face steel wheels with 11r 22.5 tires. Same tires I had before.

So much more stable. It doesn't feel like it's plowing through turns, less under-steer. Less affected by passing trucks, less affected by off camber roadway, less affected by rough road or uneven pavement. Goes straighter down the road. No rubbing. Night and day. Highly recommend.

Not only is the track wider but the wheel is 1.5 inches wider. The tires are much happier with a little wider stance bead to bead. Adds to the stability.

Lots of new pics in my album since I last posted here.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #140

Getting Hand Controls

I’ve been working on my bus “Further” for about half a year now! I’m getting the correct certification for right side hand controls..it was a hassle here in NC. I have been driving with left side hand controls for 12 years now and have rented cars in the past with right side hand controls but that’s not enough for the company that installs them: I had to take another evaluation for these right side ones but the evaluation place here in Asheville didn’t have a right side setup so I had to rent a car with right side just to take the test. Such a hassle but now I’m lined up with a professional install of hand controls so I’ll never get sued over improper hand control system, if I ever crashed. Just something to think about...and here in NC you have to install tie downs for your chair also so it’s not a flying projectile. All in all it’s a long process but I’m building my bus now anyways so not driving it. I’ll post some more info on my setup once it’s installed!

One Love One Bus!
-Fernweh- is offline   Reply With Quote

« Blue bus #7 | #27 »