Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #141
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fernweh- View Post
I’ve been working on my bus “Further” for about half a year now! I’m getting the correct certification for right side hand controls..it was a hassle here in NC. I have been driving with left side hand controls for 12 years now and have rented cars in the past with right side hand controls but that’s not enough for the company that installs them: I had to take another evaluation for these right side ones but the evaluation place here in Asheville didn’t have a right side setup so I had to rent a car with right side just to take the test. Such a hassle but now I’m lined up with a professional install of hand controls so I’ll never get sued over improper hand control system, if I ever crashed. Just something to think about...and here in NC you have to install tie downs for your chair also so it’s not a flying projectile. All in all it’s a long process but I’m building my bus now anyways so not driving it. I’ll post some more info on my setup once it’s installed!

One Love One Bus!
Good stuff. We're slaves to our adaptive device industry and the insurance cartel is no better. Regulations and liability gone a'muck.

Disbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #142
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Wow, that really sucks how much is involved in NC to get what you need to get back on the road!
Glad to hear you're making progress, albeit slower than what you probably want.

I hope that the hand control manufacturer is not making the decision to get tested prior to selling. If its the dealer/installer, there are others out there that might not require the testing?
I haven't purchased a fixed/installed hand control setup in 20 years, so that requirement might now be in place nationwide? Hopefully not...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #143
Skoolie

Ikea countertops cut to fit

Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #144
Skoolie

Love these wheels.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #145
Mini-Skoolie

(message deleted)
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #146
Bus Nut

Any chance of using a swivel office chair instead of a wheelchair? That is what I use. Everyone is different.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #147
Bus Crazy

That is a lot of wheel and tire for a Blue Bird. Does the tire or wheel rub at 100% right or left cut?
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #148
Skoolie

h
No rubbing whatsoever. Same tires as before but slightly wider wheel and the offset is different.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #149
Skoolie

no rubbing

No rubbing whatsoever. Same tires as before but slightly wider wheel and the offset is different.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:25 AM   #150
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All-American flat face
I use a wheelchair and am planning 6" of knee clearance under my counter. How much did you allocate?
CorbettO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:29 AM   #151
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All-American flat face
A few questions for DisBus. I use a wheelchair and just emptied a 2001 Bluebird All-American FE. Interior similar to yours but my lift is at front.
1. Do you use the lift by yourself? I had one of these before and never figured out a way to go in and out alone. Am looking at a small commercial crane with a small motor and straps. One advantage is that the drop zone is next to the bus.
2. Did you replace any windows? I can't get the factory installed ones open easily. Looking for alternatives.
Thanks
CorbettO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #152
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbettO View Post
A few questions for DisBus. I use a wheelchair and just emptied a 2001 Bluebird All-American FE. Interior similar to yours but my lift is at front.
1. Do you use the lift by yourself? I had one of these before and never figured out a way to go in and out alone. Am looking at a small commercial crane with a small motor and straps. One advantage is that the drop zone is next to the bus.
2. Did you replace any windows? I can't get the factory installed ones open easily. Looking for alternatives.
Thanks
Good post. You ask many of the same questions i have.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #153
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Good post. You ask many of the same questions i have.
I use the lift myself. I use the pendant but i also have a remote keyfob. It's not installed. Soon I will add it. It has 5 functions so i can operate the lift, and add a power actuator to the door. One remaining button for a lock perhaps.

I try to come up with a better solution than a lift. Like you say an overhead something. Boat davit. ??

The windows are a pain to operate. Takes two hands. A pull string of some kind that pulls on both latches at the same time. RV window direct fit even better.

I have left the windows as is for now. I like the view too.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #154
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbus View Post
I use the lift myself. I use the pendant but i also have a remote keyfob. It's not installed. Soon I will add it. It has 5 functions so i can operate the lift, and add a power actuator to the door. One remaining button for a lock perhaps.

I try to come up with a better solution than a lift. Like you say an overhead something. Boat davit. ??

The windows are a pain to operate. Takes two hands. A pull string of some kind that pulls on both latches at the same time. RV window direct fit even better.

I have left the windows as is for now. I like the view too.
Sounds like you have it figured out. Why would you want something different?

Old 01-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #155
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sounds like you have it figured out. Why would you want something different?
The way I am doing it has too many work arounds. Too many steps. The pendant cord has to be watched every time. The remote eliminates it and provides safer repeatability.

Automating the door will help a lot because now i operate the big red lever manually on the inside and push the door open with a pole. Too slow.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #156
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf t liner
Engine: Cat C7 Diesel
Rated Cap: 24 and 3 wheelchairs
New update?

Have you made some progress you could share? We’re just starting and looking for some accessible bus ideas to understand floor plans etc.
Roci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #157
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roci View Post
Have you made some progress you could share? We’re just starting and looking for some accessible bus ideas to understand floor plans etc.
I'm considering selling mine. I'm attached to it though, like every cool project i do. I've really made a lot of finishing touches lately in preparation for sale photos. I'll post soon.

What makes a good accessible bus makes a good bus period. I think the lift should be as close to the front as possible. If the lift is all the way to the back it limits floor plans. An emergency exit is too difficult.

When buying get the basics up front. Storage underneath, Air Conditioning, rear engine for driving noise. etc. I never intended to have a lot of systems under the bus like propane and water tanks. With that said, a full sized bathroom would be nice. Floor space for a wheelchair is key.

I have tried to do everything i can myself so i can fix it. I don't like to depend on others to if something simple screws up.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #158
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome can’t wait to see your sale photos. Our whole bus plan revolves around a wheelchair accessible shower. We have a rifton hts for my daughter and it has a big foot print.
I’ll post ours as we go too. Should be fun and insightful! And a boat load of work.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #159
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roci View Post
Awesome can’t wait to see your sale photos. Our whole bus plan revolves around a wheelchair accessible shower. We have a rifton hts for my daughter and it has a big foot print.
I’ll post ours as we go too. Should be fun and insightful! And a boat load of work.
The lift has a big foot print? Or the wheelchair? I cut the side of my lift out so if I can get it on the ground I can get on and off the lift.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #160
Mini-Skoolie

No her bath chair has a big foot print.

« Blue bus #7 | #27 »