Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #101
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
I decided to start putting all that free oak to work today. I hope it will be a nice contrast to all the black painted wood.

The big opening on the left will have some type of black metal grate covering the new dashboard heater/defroster, with "cubbies" on the right...

ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #102
Bus Nut

I finally feeling like the end is in sight in terms if finishing the dashboard. See the dashboard link in my signature for more if interested...

I also did a little "VIN Plaque" project this week... The original VIN tag was basically just a piece of metal tape glued to the fuse panel cover above the driver seat. I removed the Gillig emblem from it's original location above the windshield.

I cleaned up the Gillig Emblem and had a local trophy shop make a new VIN tag (and of course a Comfort Eagle tag). Once I clean up and repaint the fuse panel door I will mount the new VIN plaque.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #103
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Love the VIN tag. I may have to copy that.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #104
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Looks great! I'm about 2 days from my dash makeover. I hope it turns out a 1/10 as nice
Old 01-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #105
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
Looks great! I'm about 2 days from my dash makeover. I hope it turns out a 1/10 as nice
Same here. Except I'll be doing good to start my dash project by summer!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #106
Bus Nut

For those not following my ever growing list of "sub-threads", I recently decided to do a fuse box makeover. Before and after pics are below. For more details and helpful "lessons learned", the link is here: fuse box.

Before:

After:

I also temporarily installed our 4K Dwarf wood stove in the bus. It's been pretty cold here in MD lately (not Yukon Cornelius cold...) and the wife wanted it out of our living room where it had been "on display" for many months.

It will eventually be going up front near the front door, but for now it's vented thru a hole I cut in the rear roof hatch. I will be starting another sub-thread with more pics and details...
Old 08-12-2019, 03:29 AM   #107
Bus Nut

Wow, 6 months since I've updated this thread...

It's been a productive summer so far. I have been focusing a lot of energy on getting the roof finished and getting the bus fully weathered-in and leak free before the weather turns cooler again.

Below is a current pic of the roof. I permanently mounted the chimney for the wood stove, installed new LED clearance lights, and of course the Suoerstrut racks for the solar panels and some decking.

Rather than using any specialized roof coating, I chose to repaint the roof with some gloss white rust inhibiting enamel. Literally the entire roof will be covered by either solar panels or decking.

I have also finally started re-sealing the driver side windows. Once these 4 are done, only 8 more to go...

Still not much going on inside the bus. I did put down most of the subfloor. I went with 1/2" plywood on top of the very healthy existing 3/4" nuclear strength Gillig plywood floor. I will be insulating most of the floor from underneath.

Also been finalizing the interior design and and sourcing the actual material and products we will be using.

I picked up this couch at Bob's discount furniture. If you look you can see that in this pic I have already removed one of the arms. I will be using some custom oak arms from an old antique chair. Since this pic, the couch has been completely gutted. All that is being reused are the bottom cushions and the back portion with the back cushions attached.

And finally, this spray foam kit showed up last week. I have a lot of work to do before I will be ready to suit up and get spraying, but I have designated August as "spray foam month" and it shall be done. With this spray I will be focusing on the roof and walls. I will be buying at least one more kit to finish out the rest of the bus...

Once the roof is completely done, spray foam and all, I will get the mini split plumbed up, and then install the solar panels and finally move the battery pack onto the the bus...
Old 08-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #108
Bus Geek

Very cool, man. How yall been?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #109
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Looks good. How did you attach your super strut to the roof?

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #110
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Very cool, man. How yall been?
Doing well; not spending much time on the forums, but highly motivated to get this bus done...

Heading up to New England in Sept. Gonna meet up with my brothers and go to Burlington VT for Grand Point North music festival. Gov't Mule (one of my favorite bands...) is playing on one of the days... Maybe next year I'll be able to take the bus to events like that; that is motivating...

I was at this show in Baltimore, it was awesome...
Old 08-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #111
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Doing well; not spending much time on the forums, but highly motivated to get this bus done...

Heading up to New England in Sept. Gonna meet up with my brothers and go to Burlington VT for Grand Point North music festival. Gov't Mule (one of my favorite bands...) is playing on one of the days... Maybe next year I'll be able to take the bus to events like that; that is motivating...

I was at this show in Baltimore, it was awesome...
I got to see Gov't Mule in Orlando a few years ago. Man they really put on a hell of a show!
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #112
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Looks good. How did you attach your super strut to the roof?
The outer sections of superstrut are bolted to the structural cross members of the bus roof. I used wedges made of composite decking to adjust for the roof pitch. The center section is just bolted straight into the center roof structural support.

This section around the chimney is a little weird but shows the basics. Copious amounts of Dicor have been applied since this pic was taken...
Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #113
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I got to see Gov't Mule in Orlando a few years ago. Man they really put on a hell of a show!
I keep "threatening" my wife, telling her we are gonna follow Govt Mule around the country in the bus when I retire...
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #114
Bus Nut

I pulled the last 8 windows today...

Getting these windows done is big deal to me. Completing the window reseal means I AM DONE grinding on the inside of the bus. It also means I am getting closer to making the bus water/weather tight.

Tomorrow the windows will be cleaned and resealed/reinstalled; all except the one I broke! Booger! That one will be off to the glass shop on Monday.

I also finished "Dicor-ing" the roof rack, and with one more coat of paint, the roof is done... And don't forget, August is spray foam month.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #115
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
The outer sections of superstrut are bolted to the structural cross members of the bus roof. I used wedges made of composite decking to adjust for the roof pitch. The center section is just bolted straight into the center roof structural support.

This section around the chimney is a little weird but shows the basics. Copious amounts of Dicor have been applied since this pic was taken...

Thanks. I was wondering how you shimmied for the roof curvature.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #116
Bus Nut

I got all the windows re-installed, including the new panes from the glass shop, and just in time for some heavy rain showers. The bus is still not water tight... sucks. Once the gutters are re-installed, it should be better, but I definitely have more work to do with those windows.

In the meantime, "spray foam August" is slipping away. I had hoped to spray this weekend, but I am not quite ready. I did box out the rear wheel wells; not done yet but getting close.

The center section between the wheel wells will be part of the platform/step to the bed, but will have a hinged lift up door and storage underneath. The space behind the box-outs will be under bed storage...

Once the front wheel wells are boxed, I should finally be ready to "get the foam on".
Old 08-31-2019, 04:48 AM   #117
Bus Nut

Finished up the last of the subfloor installation, and am almost done boxing the front wheel wells.

One design element of the Gillig Phantoms that I am not in love with is the slope of the floor near the front on the bus. Not sure if other buses share this trait. If you look at the rails on the wall, behind the front wheel wells you will see them start start to slope down towards the front. This presents additional challenges when building up front.

And then there is the big steel cockpit floorpan.

I chose not to put subfloor between the driver seat and the pan. I hope to mitigate some of the heat/cold transfer by insulating the pan from underneath and coating with spray on undercoating or bed liner...

If the weather (and my back) hold out, I WILL get the spray foam done over this long weekend. Speaking of weather I hope that ECCB and all of you other Floridians are getting safe for the upcoming storm...
Old 09-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #118
Bus Nut

Did the spray foam today; details are here

Old 09-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #119
Bus Nut

The insulation is all trimmed, and the bus is all clean. I am encouraged.

In the meantime taking a break here in beautiful Burlington VT at Grand Point North 2019. Great bands yesterday and Govt Mule tonight...

Here is a video I shot from last night's show...
Old 09-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #120
Bus Nut

One more pic with all rigid foam installed

I did some Bondo work here on the old flashing light holes; still some work to be done, but not bad...?

And finally... I cleaned the bus and put a final coat of paint on the roof.

Here it is after cleaning but BEFORE the last coat of paint

And here are a few shots (crappy shots) of the finished roof. Although I must say, it does look like a boat hull, no...?