Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 03:02 AM   #61
Bus Crazy

The addition of a drip rail or bending the end of the roof panel into a lip adds structural rigidity to the bus body.

There is a school district in this area that is partial to Blue Birds. All of their newer buses are spe'c'ed with an additional rub rail above the windows.

Their district is still about 60% off pavement roads so their buses take a real beating.

With the BB's, over time the flexing going down the rough roads tends to cause the body to flex enough that the corners of the eyebrows over the windows start to tear. Adding the rub rail above the windows stops the flexing and tearing.

I wonder if that is why Gillig added the drip rail in the way they did.

cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
It looks like the rain gutter discussion may have wained...?

FWIW, here is the latest revision to the interior layout. I moved the wood stove to the very front of the bus. This was primarily due to a lack of roof space for the chimney due to all the solar panels, but I think it will also have some additional benefits in that space.

I still haven't settled on a water heater but I am now leaning towards a small (maybe 7 gallons small) electric water heater. I plan to have propane for the refrigerator and stove but a small electric water heater would be pretty easy and manageable power-wise.
https://youtu.be/zRMTtXK6Ph0
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
No rain in the short term forecast but just in case.
Famous last words... Since pulling the windows, it has rained almost every day. And this week severe thunderstorms are forecast every day for the DC area. Nonetheless, today I prepped and painted the window openings.

Of course the bus is again covered in tarps...
Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #64
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
If you go electric water heater, get yourself 12 volt dc elements and use those as your dump off your solar charging system. I'm looking at doing the same thing, but will be running an on demand water heater in line as well. The dump from the solar will heat the tanked water, then go to the on demand, making it so the on demand won't have to work as much, and use less propane.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #65
Bus Nut

On another topic, I just stumbled across these Zirgo heaters while reading another thread. For $140 each delivered, I may considering swapping out the original bus heaters in favor of a few of these for heat on the go. Anybody using them? I wonder if I could modify one to provide cockpit heat and windshield defog?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I bought a similar one that I'm installing up front.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I bought a similar one that I'm installing up front.
Similar, do tell. Could you share a link?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
On another topic, I just stumbled across these Zirgo heaters while reading another thread. For $140 each delivered, I may considering swapping out the original bus heaters in favor of a few of these for heat on the go. Anybody using them? I wonder if I could modify one to provide cockpit heat and windshield defog?
My plan has been to run a few of these instead of the crusty factory stuff. I'm redesigning almost the entire dash and interior anyhow.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Quote:
Similar, do tell. Could you share a link?
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...0aAm1GEALw_wcB
Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #70
Bus Nut

They have them in several sizes.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Here is mineClick image for larger version

Name:	1526508931030.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	22175
Old 06-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #72
Bus Nut

Thanks to all for helping with bus heater retrofit options. I went ahead and bought two of the 28K BTU units (for cabin area) and one 40K BTU unit (for dash area) from Jegs.

I am slowly getting the passenger side windows re-installed; currently 10 of 14 windows are back in. Between the rain here in SOMD and other distractions, it has been slow going with the windows.

One distraction has been trying to design a dashboard for my beautiful new Speedhut gauges, documented here. In anticipation of getting the dash done (and finally being able to start and drive the bus again...), I decided it would be a good idea to charge the bus batteries. This led to another distraction; although the batteries are fairly new, the battery box was pretty crusty.

After some corrosion control, the battery box and rack are almost done; a top coat of semi-gloss and they should be good to go.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #73

Year: TBD
Best wishes on your build; I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

I second whoever complimented the Cake reference. Maybe my favorite band ever, and Comfort Eagle is a friggin awesome bus name (and album!). Cheers.
Vadards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Are those heaters all electric? if so , what do they draw when running?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:42 AM   #75
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadards View Post
Best wishes on your build; I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

I second whoever complimented the Cake reference. Maybe my favorite band ever, and Comfort Eagle is a friggin awesome bus name (and album!). Cheers.
"...a friggin awesome bus name (and album!)". That's what I keep telling my wife. Great comment; thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Are those heaters all electric? if so , what do they draw when running?
The heaters use engine coolant lines for heat but they of course do have 12V three speed fans.

The big heater draws: Low [5.5 Amps], Med [7.1 Amps], High [11.6 Amps]. The smaller one draws: Low [4.9 Amps], Med [6.6 Amps], High [9.6 Amps]
Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #76
Bus Nut

It's been a few weeks since I finished reinstalling the last of the 14 passenger side windows. I also removed the driver side sliding window unit. I had it tinted and reinstalled it last night; 15 windows done, 13 to go...

I had the window tint guy put 30% on it. It should be dark enough, without being too dark and it now more closely matches the other windows.

Also, if you've seen my dash rehab thread, I am getting closer to getting the dash done and all those beautiful gauges installed.

Here's a rough mock up of the basic dash design and layout.

My battery pack and inverter have been humming along in the garage for over a month now without a hiccup. I run the garage fridge and occasionally power tools off the system and recharge thru the inverter plugged into a 15A house circuit.

Looking forward to a productive summer, finishing those WINDOWS, doing the subfloor, closed cell spray foam, getting the roof done, boat hatches, solar panels in place and finally moving into the build phase...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #77
Bus Geek

I like that dash so far!
I definitely will steal a few ideas when I tear my dash out.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:56 AM   #78
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I like that dash so far!
I definitely will steal a few ideas when I tear my dash out.
Thank you for the comments. The dash is almost done. In the end I decided to paint it satin black. I have one more coat of paint to do and then several coats of spar urethane and it will be ready for installation. I have today off from work, however MORE RAIN here in SOMD (Southern MD) is forecasted so it may have to wait.

Last weekend the wife and I went to the tiny house festival in VA. While we were there we had a chance to spend some time on a skoolie named NavigationNowhere and talk to its owner Mike.

We really liked the way he has two couches facing each other with a collapsable table that folds away under one of the couches. Based on our visit with Mike, we decided to ditch the banquette and go with a similar layout.

Ikea makes a folding table that looks like it could be a good fit; it even comes with two chairs. I also added a flip up desktop in front of the emergency exit.

Here is the latest revision
Old 06-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thank you for the comments. The dash is almost done. In the end I decided to paint it satin black. I have one more coat of paint to do and then several coats of spar urethane and it will be ready for installation. I have today off from work, however MORE RAIN here in SOMD (Southern MD) is forecasted so it may have to wait.

Last weekend the wife and I went to the tiny house festival in VA. While we were there we had a chance to spend some time on a skoolie named NavigationNowhere and talk to its owner Mike.

We really liked the way he has two couches facing each other with a collapsable table that folds away under one of the couches. Based on our visit with Mike, we decided to ditch the banquette and go with a similar layout.

Ikea makes a folding table that looks like it could be a good fit; it even comes with two chairs. I also added a flip up desktop in front of the emergency exit.

Here is the latest revision
I've met Mike. He's been over for a night or two before.

Its a nice bus. Lots of cools stuff, and also some cringe... But I do like the layout inside.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

This is the bus I saw at the festival that the owner (who I now know is named Mike) said has never been hassled for being a 40 footer in a national park.

Sorry I missed an opportunity to meet other Skoolies there! I shoulda been smart enough to pre-announce my plans to go and make arrangements.

Maybe I can get over the bridge sometime soon and see your bus!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote