Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
I think you should keep the rear heater! Even if you move it and mount it somewhere else. Engine heat is free as long as you're driving. IF you ever have overheating problems, you can also use the bus heaters to cool the motor.
I agree w/ lapeer, If my rear heater wasn't such a piece of crap, i would have found a way to keep it. But i was in a hurry and cut it out fast. If you can design your interior around it, keep it in there for heat while driving down the road.

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #22
Skoolie

Well, I thought about leaving it but its so freakin' loud! I mean its like white noise generator loud. In the back you can barely hear the engine up front.
actually all the heaters sound like that...
----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #23
Skoolie

Argh! I did not get the flooring done like I'd hope! Stupid rear heater was harder to take out than I had thought and the last remaining seat frame I needed the grinder so there was a lot of back and forth to the garage. Some coolant drained on to the floor which is ok since that shiz is staying right were it is. The screws are like frozen into the rubber which is taking a lot of time just to remove one or two at a time. I"ve decided that it isn't that important I have the rubber up and will leave it down.

Also I managed to make an electrical phopa but I'll ask in another part of the forum. Let's just say that I removed the stop sign as it was waving to people whenever I turned the right signal on.

So today after many a frustrating start stop but a find time painting the future countertop, I did get one plywood panel down. Sweet!
----------------
Old 05-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #24
Skoolie

music makes the people...

This is a cool way to keep a journal on what I am doing with TCD. Actually its one of two journals where my project is noted.

Anyway, since the last seat is out and the floor is just days from being completed I'm having to put a rush on some items I need. This month I call it rush week. I'll keep the bus home a lot more than before and leave the cordless tools in my truck so I can work on putting together the brackets for the fresh & black water tanks. My goal of course is to have at least 60 to 80% done before the Haight/Asbury street fair in June.
The gallery is becoming an interesting way to study other's mounting techniques. I'd like a book shelf in my bed room but maybe one in the front would be nice too. TCD doesn't really need a tv but I want a slammin' sound system as music is my addiction on the road.

Will have to check out satallite music systems like XM or Sirius.
----------------
Old 05-02-2005, 07:35 PM   #25
Bus Geek

I have not compared the two satelite radio systems, but I love my XM radio!

Don't leave home without it!

They did raise the price a couple $$ per month though. I think it's 11.99 or 12.99 per month now.

I've had xm for about 9 months so far.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

What do you have planned for a sound system? We are putting the Sony system from my fiancee's car that we are selling in the bus
Sony CD/MP3/Remote control HU
Sony 3 way 6X9's
2X Sony 10" Subs with Pioneer amp
XM2GO Xm radio

I plan on adding some more speakers for full range but hopefully this will be good for cruising

~B~
1979GMC6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #27
Bus Geek

I have a cheap cd/mp3/fm stereo that i installed with 6 speakers. It has rca inputs for the XM. (My xm also has wireless fm, but rca gives better sound)

I also have a 110 volt pioneer dolby digital surround system i bought for cheap at a garage sale. This runs 6 more speakers, including a pair of subwoofers.

The pioneer is also connected to xm via my 12volt stereo.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
My bus has a FM/CD Player in the dash hooked up to two 6x9s in the front. Then an RCA cable runs back to a 300W amp hooked to a couple Bose Lineam tweeters and mids, and to two 15" subs and two horn tweeter.

The 15" subs make the bus's sheetmetal shake on the outside just like a large install into someones truck will do.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
HA! Awesome guys... I have been collecting factory car speakers from my buddy's body shop to install up and down the ceiling, with a couple 6x9's in the front and rear. I have also recently accuired 2 very large home entertainment speakers, 12" or 15", i dont know, havnt taken the cover off yet.

If you have seen my floor plans... I am planing on installing these speakers in the couch. But I may not have enough air to them, or blast room in front of them as well. My audio expert is going to advise me on that when I get the furnature done.

My plan is to have a computer run most of my entertainment while parked, and an in-dash cd player while driving. I'll prolly have to pick up an old receiver to bring everything into, but I'm not their yet.

One cool thing my audio expert, my buddy brad, told me I should do is to install exterior audio jacks at the front and rear of the bus, on the outside. This way, I can plug in exterior speakers at whatever event I may be at, and blast the Race, Game, Music, etc...

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:15 AM   #30
Skoolie

XM radio eh? How good is that?

Well...believe it or not I got the damn break lights working again and the turn signals. They won't come on when the headlight switch is on which isn't a biggie so long as the essential lights work.

I just traced where each break/signal/reverse light went and viola! Sort of..turns out several wires are numbered the same but I got the general idea of what needed to go where. Will be replacing another board in the floor tomorrow as it too is warped. Wll repair the damage tomorrow and earily as it got very hot here-too hot to work on the bus! If that is hot wonder what burning man heat is like. But again, I ain't agoing to BM to hid in the bus all day...just part of it *g*

You should see it with the curtains temporarily up--straight outta woodstock I LOVE IT!
----------------
Old 05-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #31
Skoolie

hardly anything done...

Well, TCD has been sitting in the yard for two weeks and I've barely gotten anything done. I finally removed all the railing on the right side of the bus and along the rubber walkway. Every last screw coming up is either so rusted it breaks off or you can simply pull the railing up with light muscle power. I've come to realize that she is propably really rusty under all the wood and the whole floor has to come up and be sanded. I kinda knew this as the rear floor was so icky but not bad enough were there are holes in the floor. Yet I can't deny that everywhere screws went all the way through the metal, there's nothing but rust. Sigh. So, until cash flow changes, I'm not going to BM.

That's kinda a load off my shoulders as I was stressing on how I would make TCD liveable in so short amount of time. However, the prospects of having to sand the entire floor just leaves me sick. Again, I kinda knew already when purchasing a bus from such the salt belt yet its kind of a downer anyway. In the meanwhile, I've decided to just go head and prime the outside for the final painting later on. I'm sick of that yellow color.

The wiring issue is only partly solved-its been suggested at work that I take her to a bus yard and see how they have their stuff mounted. This would be a good idea yet I doubt many of Calif's school still have a bus exactly or close to TCD. I loath the idea of loosing my blinky signals but maybe its not such a bad idea. I need to do this quick as anytime the breaks are applied something is burning in that monitor. I believe its a matter of uncrossing wires. Man I really messed that up.

So, today I'll try and get some more floor up & check out bigger sanders at Kmart or some place like that. That little hand sander isn't gonna do it.

I'm frustrated I guess-can't seem to get any help from the right people with all the wrong ones offering "advice". All of this slows the project down which isn't what I wanted but that's life. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a bit, I hope to have more news later on.
----------------
Old 05-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
re: sanding

What's the worst that will happen if the floor is a bit rusty under the wood?

If you do have to take the floor up, consider going to a self serve sandblasting place. It's reasonable pricing and takes it down to bare metal fast. Then you don't have to buy another sander and paper. And the time, I can think of more important things to do.

Good luck!

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #33
Skoolie

Hm, self serve sandblasting? I wonder if they have that in california?

So far its slowing going getting the floor up. Now I'm just mad so out comes the old grinder to finish the job. A nice gentleman from Dremel who happen to be an ex-busyard mechanic help me pick out some sanding wheels for the bus even telling me how to fix any sections that may be too rusted to sand down. Got the bondo ready as well.

Say, what does everyone thing of thompson seal on the wood before putting it down on the floor? My thought is its better than nothing and might prevent warping.

Since I will not be taking TCD anyplace anytime soon, I've put more natural/earth friendly materials back on the list. While it will take more cash to do so, my conscious will feel better. Plus I really like the idea of using bamboo and cork or renewable materials for what ultimately will be a simple yet peaceful feeling conversion space in the shape of a bus.
----------------
Old 06-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Don't get discouraged.

Don't get discouraged! Remember what Chairman Mao said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Of course, he probably had several thousand people carrying his @$$ along the way...

Progress seems slow sometimes, but then one day, "Hey, that part's done! Yippee!" Keep your imagination on, as that helps look long term instead of getting bogged down in "this will never end".

You're doing the foundation work right now. That never provides much satisfaction until down the road when you're parked somewhere cool and there's a big storm going on outside and you KNOW you won't have any leaks, and you won't have any electrical problems, and you don't have to worry about your shelter. That's a BIG satisfaction.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #35
Bus Geek

I'm also under the gun when it comes to burningman. Right now i have a bus that is painted on the outside, and has no seats on the inside. There are about 2 months to install the jacuzzi and finish everything else.

Sorry to hear that you're not going this year

You should try to find a way! This event is absolutly amazing! However, as you know it is a very expensive event to attend.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #36
Skoolie

Icky

Yeah no kidding about BM being expensive! Naw, I'll have to be a burning virgin next year. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Life has been stepping in kicking me around lately so I'm dealing with that freakin' drama. Unfortunately, that drama took a header as I now must sell my horse. Thank Goddess that I've some free stuff from our handyman to ease that hurt. He did the baseboard in the front room and had about 11 long pieces left plus some window edging. How awesome is that? Baseboard would be great to use for...well whatever.

So just to catch all up- all but the front area around the driver/heater has no rubber on it. I'm going to tear out the seat this weekend so I can get all the wood up under it. I'm not sure I want to do the same thing under the heater near the door. I know one thing the highbeam switch is gonna come off the floor. What a weird place to put it-why not a button on the slim dashboard or someplace else were water & muck can't get to it?
----------------
Old 07-17-2005, 09:47 PM   #37
Skoolie

So no BM. No rainbow gathering. I hope to at least get some fall camping in the desert going!

Anyway, no progress on TCD save for the rust that was spreading has at least slowed thanks to the removal of the rubber floor and nasty plywood. I have three sections left including the driver's area. Did anyone else bother to remove the wood under the electrical or heating area? I'm not bothering with it but I might anyway as it would be nice to have a fresh floor all the way around.

Driving her around over rough roads seems to be loosing those more stubborn screws I don't wish to waste my angle grinder on. Little by little their warping and shaking works well. Plus I only have to be in the 100+ heat for an hour or so. I love driving her even if the driver seat blows.

Lastly some good news. Plans are near done-will be moving them to drafting paper soon so I'll post pix in the gallery. Speaking of, I posted two new pix of my anti-freeze handy work and the mess I created by removing the moniter box. I need to do new pix so I can figure out the underside as well.

Any recommendations to specific truck stops where I can take TCD to have her undercarriage cleaned and derusted (for the most part?)
----------------
Old 07-17-2005, 09:51 PM   #38
Skoolie

Nearly forgot!

I plan on putting a backporch on TCD. I think that would be neato to hang out on, extra storage, etc etc.

Naturally this means bumper stickers won't be seen nor will any artwork but I'll get around that eventually
----------------
Old 07-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #39
Skoolie

ooooooowheeeeeee!

Its hotter than a...hotter than someting! The humidity is a monster right now thanks to that storm in mexico.

One hurdle crossed already! I got the weight certificate for TCD finally.
Current weight: 14,860 lbs or just over 7 tons.

Only $8 bucks-cool cool. After driving around in shorts and sweating so much I nearly rolled off the seat on the freeway I definately will be putting an A/C in there. Also the front engine area REALLY needs to be insulated from all that engine heat. Ugh, its aweful in shorts which means it sucks really bad in jeans.

Two more sections of floor up about 3 1/2 to go!
----------------
Old 07-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Hmm... seems like you're in the same stage as me... Floor/ all the grunt work. I was griding rust like crazy today, man is it hard to wash off of your arms.

I am wondering if you are still thinking about using the "Thompsons" on the wood or not. I was thinking about doing the same sorta thing... first strip the rust, seal the holes, Paint the (metal) floor, then I was gonna put 3 or 4 coats of Polyurathane on both sides of the wood before I put it down. This should prove to be a durable floor for the work stage in the bus... before I carpet it. Then I found some porch paint that I still had hanging around, so I figured id use that, should work well.

Then I got to thinking... perhaps it would be better to keep it unfinished, just for the reason that, if moisture can't soak into the wood, then it will sit on the surface of the metal and eventually rust it. It would seem that it's cheaper (and easier) to replace the water damaged wood floor, than a rusted through metal floor.

Any thoughts on this, or am I just on over-thinking this
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote