Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

I pretty much went through the same drill as Eric on the floor... but no strips. I just drilled through the wood and the floor, countersunk the hole in the wood, threw some caulk in the hole and finished her up with a stainless steel sheet metal screw... for rust purposes. Floor hasn't popped up yet.

Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #62
Skoolie

Betcha thought...

I'd fallen off the bus (sort of speak). Nope! Been busy w/ school and trying to sell my horse while keeping up w/ her training. Sigh. Don't have the money or time to enforce that training either. Next horse I get will be push button.

Anyway, I digress! The floor. My nightmare for over 8 months is complete. I'm only putting down the new wood (sealed on one side w/ Thompsons water sealer) and will patch up the remaining screw holes once the plywood is down. YEAH! Damn, that sucked. Plus I have now have some electrical drain which drains the battery if I don't start it every day. Right now, she's deader than a door nail so I said screw it until I've gotten all the wiring capped off.
Now what to do about that wiring.....? I know I can't use the stopsign connection so I'm going to take that out. No need for the heater buttons so gone are they. Still don't know how I'm gonna get my flashers and other lights working again. I'm gonna make them work SOME how!
I do plain on utilizing the bus's old inside light wires for house lights plus a driver's light which I kinda miss. Other than that, as far as lighting goes, a couple of sky lights will do for daytime. I have these stick on lights that work from batteries which will work for lighting just small areas. This only leaves me to wire for plugs which....I've no idea how to do but I shall figure out. Do you think a basic wiring book would be helpful or do I need something more geared to the conversionist?

So I am basically ready to order the flooring which will be a natural linoleum w/ cork underside. I also discovered that I can put some insulation in so I'm aimming for Ultratouch made from recycled demin/cotton scraps. Its nice and slim for that metal wall on both sides does not require any special clothing to install-very cool . Someone is looking into new tires for me but I was thinking of something more backroads ready so we'll have to chat.

Lowes has these interesting bathroom cabinets which in my mind would make great kitchen cabinets w/o the expense plus they happen to only be 18in in dept. I already have a countertop so I won't need the sink that comes with the package. Its too heavy anyway...

Until some $$ rolls in, the appliances are on hold, especially the fridge; while the used stoves aren't expensive those fridges even used are! Yikes!

So that's it for now. Comments? Laughter? Volunteers? LOL, just kidding
----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
El cheapo suggestions:

I got a new 3-burner range (upgrade replaced it) at an RV dealer for $50. I got a $20 folding camp stove to go on top of it for a stove. Works fine.

Did I mention that it's not hard to live without refrigeration.....
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #64
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric von Kleist
El cheapo suggestions:

I got a new 3-burner range (upgrade replaced it) at an RV dealer for $50. I got a $20 folding camp stove to go on top of it for a stove. Works fine.

Yes you did but I do not plan on having this huge monster like the cookie cutter rvs do. Just something, ya know. I am sure I could do better w/ the stove business. I do have one I purchased from the RV place though its as old as hell (25+ yrs maybe). It might even work still but I don't know....yet. I only paid $30 bucks for it (a truck camper stove) so...eh.

Hey Eric how slow is this drill a hole business anyway? Took me 1/2 an hour just to make one hole and its not in the right place LOL! Next time I'll have to measure between the holes and such to make sure the screw is accessable not in some invisible place.
----------------
Old 11-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangaia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric von Kleist
El cheapo suggestions:

Hey Eric how slow is this drill a hole business anyway? Took me 1/2 an hour just to make one hole and its not in the right place LOL! Next time I'll have to measure between the holes and such to make sure the screw is accessable not in some invisible place.
Not sure what drilling you are talking about. The furring strips for the floor? I used 1/8" TiN (Titanium Nitride coated) bits and regular HSS (High Speed Steel) bits for the screws holding the floor down. That just took seconds (the TiN bits last longer). If you're talking about drilling holes in the floor for plumbing, I didn't drill those. Well, I drilled a 1/2" starter hole with a bit, and then I stuck a jigsaw blade through the hole and used a jigsaw to cut it out....not always pretty....my holes ended up square and oversized, but I made plywood plates with nice round pipe-sized holes to go over them, inside and out, and sealed those with caulk to keep water out.

When I drilled holes in the bumper for the bolt-on trailer hitch, that took a few minutes for each hole, and I used oil and a very slow speed.

If it's taking you 1/2 hour to drill the 1/8" holes....your drill is turning in reverse!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #66
Bus Nut

My mother in law once gave me some drill bits from some cheap store. These were the worst excuse for bits I have ever used. They would not drill a hole in steel or even aluminum. I could drill 4 holes in oak boards and then they got dull and would just make smoke.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #67
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
" I could drill 4 holes in oak boards and then they got dull and would just make smoke."

I have a set of those around here someplace
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:20 AM   #68
Skoolie

Drilling holes; RV appliances (buying): wiring

Buy good new drill bits, and run them at a lower speed. Too many folks think that going faster makes the drill cut faster...NOT!
HSS (high speed steel), cobalt, or TiN coated HSS do well enough.
BTW, HSS refers to the drill bit metal itself, NOT the speed at which you drill the holes!

Slower is better! BTW, rusty metal dulls drill bits faster than clean metal will. If you can, wire brush or grind/sand off some of the surface rust before drilling.

If the drill bit is dull either have it sharpened or just buy another bunch of them...they ARE essentially disposable, after all.
Trying to drill with a dull bit will just HARDEN the metal, and make it difficult if not impossible to drill out.

Remember: slower speed, high pressure, watch you don't break the bit!

Large round holes:
I use a hole saw (I have several sizes I use in my handyman biz), and make sure it's a bi-metal one made to cut metal. Essentially a very large bit that cuts out a circle.
Use VERY slow drilling speed (I use a 1/2 inch electric drill), LOTS of pressure, and a bit of cutting oil does the job. Deburr the cut (sharp!) edges afterwards, clean off the oil, prime and paint to reduce rusting problems.

Drilling holes and making them larger:
Start small! Then use gradually larger bits, and take your time.
This process is called "step drilling".

If you're trying to use old floor holes for attaching the ply, maybe get under the bus and drill UP!?!? through the old holes. Use GOOD eye protection, and have someone nearby to take you to the emergency room when a chip gets in your eye.

Appliances:
Go to boneyards!!!! I've purchased small RV fridges for $20, larger for $50-100. RV stoves for $20. Water heaters for $20. Rooftop AC units for $50.
Caveat: buy with a promise to refund your $$ if it doesn't work, OR fire it up on propane/electric/whatever at the boneyard before hauling it away.
I use a 20 pound bottle with a gas grill regulator to try out propane appliances; mounted on a handtruck it's easy to transport everything around in the yard. Works like a charm.
Bought a 19 foot RV awning with a good cover for $100, new they're $500 and UP.
Salvage a bunch of stuff from the same RV and maybe the guy will give you a better deal. Remember the fresh water tank(s), water pump(s), charging system(s), etc. Lots of stuff gets crushed instead of reused......

Look around. Find ALL of the boneyards in your area. Go back to 'yards, they get 'new' stuff all the time.
And negotiate prices: just don't be a dick about it. Be reasonable!

Call local body shops, tow companies and insurance places, maybe they know of an RV that got wrecked and they will sell for short $$ to recoup some dough.

Wiring:
use "SO"-type electrical cord, that's heavy extension cord to y'all!
NEVER use solid wire; use ONLY stranded wire! It remains flexible when our buses vibrate and shake. Solid wire fatigues and breaks.
A licensed electrician buddy told me to use "SO" and tin/solder all wire ends for better trouble-free connections. Use Rosin-core solder only, as acid-core solder will just eat the wire connections over time.

ALWAYS attach the green or bare ground wire to the bus chassis as a ground for electrical safety when using 120VAC/240VAC systems.

Look over the Index here for conversion techniques for a "sticky" on bus wiring, plumbing etc.
Spend some time looking around, don't be lazy, OK? Lots of info already here SOMEWHERE.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:15 PM   #69
Bus Nut

I hear ya about good bits. When my wifes great uncle passed I got to have everything out of his shop. I got some real nice drill bits of a varity of sizes. I have used them for years now and they are still as sharp as when I got them. My mother-in-law means well but the cheap junk she gives aint worth a ship.

Another place cheap stuff can be found is building supply thrift stores. When we had our house I found 10 sheets of 1/2" drywall for $2 each at a building thrift store.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #70
Bus Geek

Re: Drilling holes; RV appliances (buying): wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Grimm
Remember: slower speed, high pressure, watch you don't break the bit!

Or your wrist! Especially during that moment just before the bit breaks through the material, it seems to want to bind, twisting the drill rather violently sometimes.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #71
Skoolie

Could it be...an UPDATE?!

Bet ya'll thought I'd fallen off the bus sort a' speak.

No just hiding from the cold! The end is near! Floor is being screwed down as I type this. I've been hitting it hard at least each weekend for a few hours and planning the next steps for the rest. Have two books on order for plumping and cabinets. I also ordered the cork underlayment for the floor which I hope will arrive friday or so. Once that is down, I'll be back at Lowes for the flooring (click lock easy install). Hopefully we'll have a warm day coming up so I can paint the inside.

I got my table saw for the holidays so I'll be ready to do the woodwork when that time comes.

Next month is electrical month because I really need to get the house batteries placed and I've not a clue (yet) how to wire them and the solar power battery charger I got from salvage. Yet.

Anyway, that is it for now....
----------------
Old 02-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Incremental progress in action!
Old 04-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #73
Skoolie

Finally FINALLY...

Huzzah! The bus is legal in calif after a billion years of DMV crap. Cost a pretty penny too because of the weight and all the delays which racked up a huge late fee. Anyway, the brake lights now do not work at all so I'm forced due to my inexperience with electrical doo wops to take her to a shop. Just so happens there is an International based shop nearby though I know...just KNOW I'm going to have to sell my leg to pay for it. Which means I'll have to have them run a line for the other windshield wiper because I screwed that up.

Oh well-expensive lesson learned. Do not pull if you don't know where it goes.

Floor only needs a few more screws plus some tightening here and there and she's a done deal! The cork underlayment arrived-thinner than I'd thought but that's cool as I have a 200 yard roll

I've had to cut the finances back as the CC payment is now twice the amount due to that new law about 20 yrs to pay off due to low payment schedules, etc etc. Bottom line is new is going to be rare; used/well used will be the norm. Still need a floor to walk on but maybe I can find a discount floor stores if not in Riverside maybe OC.

Question: What are the pros/cons of having a pantry over the wheel well? I was thinking that would work for me instead of making a lot of cabinets. Over the other wheel well I am putting the battery bank/solar system. Nothing fancy really but I did find a RV place that sells solar kits. Since I'm not full-timing it nor do I have a lot of appliances, I could do ok with solar though this is still at the planning stages.

That's it fer now. Heres to some clear weather for painting!
----------------
Old 04-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Good to hear from you!

We considered cork underlayment but for various reasons went with something else. I'd be interested to hear how it performs.

For your walking surface, you may want to check ebay or your local newpaper's "Bargain Bin" section (or similar). We were able to get our oak flooring for something like $.60/sq foot because someone doing a home remodel had ordered too much. Only drawback was that we had to drive 100 miles to get it. Well worth it.

I think a pantry over the wheel well is a logical choice....since the presence of the wheel hump sorta plecludes lots of other things from going there.

We're currently working on our kitchen pantry...which is located over the forward, driver's side wheel hump (we have a flat-nose...so we get to deal with 4 wheel humps). Pantry stuff here.

Hey, do you have any pics of your conversion?

Sean
Old 04-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #75
Bus Nut

I used the wheel space for my a/c pantry combo on one side and the propane heater on the other.
Be resourceful!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #76
Skoolie

Rain, rain...hate to say this but GO AWAY (for now at least)

Well. Haven't done thing except drive her around weekend before last. Still moving like a dream and sounding way quieter with that engine cover back on. Still haven't finished the floor due to wet weather and two bumbed out knees. I'm starting to get frustrated that I'll not get done in time for Rainbow or Burning Man.

Natch, money is mostly the problem but getting a hand is the other. Wonder if I could talk my neighbor into helping me with the flooring in exchange for unlimited fruit tree access. We shall see....

Figured out how I want my few overhead cabinets. Super simple with swing up doors I'll attach myself. I'm resigned to the fact that I can't do the plumping method I want which is to place one of those blue food grade 55 gals inside with just a hand pump. I'm gonna need the full water pump, flush toliet, cold/hot water set up. I kinda have the idea how to do so just need to get the setup. Now...how to do brackets for the tanks...

And lets not even get started on the set up for the propane tanks....ugh.
----------------
Old 04-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
wheel well

have you considered cutting down your wheel well? I know mine is far larger than need be. I have seen a couple of conversions that have gone that route.

- Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #78
Skoolie

flooring going down...

Okie! So far I've laid the 1/8 cork underlayment on the finished rear floor and it looks good! Next time however, I'll order 1/4 inch as 1/8 is really too thin me thinks. Costco has laminated flooring for $2/sqft so I'll look into that before hitting this local wherehouse to see what they have cheap or free even

Local carpet store let me have some free stuff; pulled some sea foam colored carpet and two small bolts of padding from their trash. One bolt is felt which made me think I could use it for more sound damping around the wheel wells which is where this carpet stuff is going. Huzzah for dumpster diving! Lowes has this really cool bathroom cabinet set up which I think would do well for the kitchen set up. It only has three drawers; two of them are deep and could be customized right proper. Otherwise I'll sink the cash into a larger bathroom cabinet that has this lower cool pull out drawer. This week I hope to have the outline done for the wheel well covers; make the hanging cabinet template and secure the last few pieces of flooring.

Its moving faster but still a long way to go plus the brake lights still aren't working and I'm totally scared of how big the bill will be to fix that exterior monitoring box. I hope its ONLY badly crossed wires since I did get some lights to work. I feel I really can't even do the small electrical I wish to do until this is fixed.

Besides-I like my flashing lights
----------------
Old 05-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #79
Skoolie

Re: wheel well

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf
have you considered cutting down your wheel well? I know mine is far larger than need be. I have seen a couple of conversions that have gone that route.

- Richard
No, not at all. I think it is ok as is. My only concern is making the cover strong enough to hold the batteries/entertainment system and the pantry.
----------------
Old 05-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #80
Bus Nut

If you are looking for cheap laminate flooring check out http://www.lumberliquidators.com. Two years ago we bought the cheap stuff from them and put it in out dining room. It was easy to install and held up to the punishment from the dogs claws. At that time we paid 99¢ sq/ft. Now it is about 79¢ sq/ft.