Old 02-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #71
Skoolie

Could it be...an UPDATE?!

Bet ya'll thought I'd fallen off the bus sort a' speak.

No just hiding from the cold! The end is near! Floor is being screwed down as I type this. I've been hitting it hard at least each weekend for a few hours and planning the next steps for the rest. Have two books on order for plumping and cabinets. I also ordered the cork underlayment for the floor which I hope will arrive friday or so. Once that is down, I'll be back at Lowes for the flooring (click lock easy install). Hopefully we'll have a warm day coming up so I can paint the inside.

I got my table saw for the holidays so I'll be ready to do the woodwork when that time comes.

Next month is electrical month because I really need to get the house batteries placed and I've not a clue (yet) how to wire them and the solar power battery charger I got from salvage. Yet.

Anyway, that is it for now....
----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Incremental progress in action!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #73
Skoolie

Finally FINALLY...

Huzzah! The bus is legal in calif after a billion years of DMV crap. Cost a pretty penny too because of the weight and all the delays which racked up a huge late fee. Anyway, the brake lights now do not work at all so I'm forced due to my inexperience with electrical doo wops to take her to a shop. Just so happens there is an International based shop nearby though I know...just KNOW I'm going to have to sell my leg to pay for it. Which means I'll have to have them run a line for the other windshield wiper because I screwed that up.

Oh well-expensive lesson learned. Do not pull if you don't know where it goes.

Floor only needs a few more screws plus some tightening here and there and she's a done deal! The cork underlayment arrived-thinner than I'd thought but that's cool as I have a 200 yard roll

I've had to cut the finances back as the CC payment is now twice the amount due to that new law about 20 yrs to pay off due to low payment schedules, etc etc. Bottom line is new is going to be rare; used/well used will be the norm. Still need a floor to walk on but maybe I can find a discount floor stores if not in Riverside maybe OC.

Question: What are the pros/cons of having a pantry over the wheel well? I was thinking that would work for me instead of making a lot of cabinets. Over the other wheel well I am putting the battery bank/solar system. Nothing fancy really but I did find a RV place that sells solar kits. Since I'm not full-timing it nor do I have a lot of appliances, I could do ok with solar though this is still at the planning stages.

That's it fer now. Heres to some clear weather for painting!
----------------
Old 04-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Good to hear from you!

We considered cork underlayment but for various reasons went with something else. I'd be interested to hear how it performs.

For your walking surface, you may want to check ebay or your local newpaper's "Bargain Bin" section (or similar). We were able to get our oak flooring for something like $.60/sq foot because someone doing a home remodel had ordered too much. Only drawback was that we had to drive 100 miles to get it. Well worth it.

I think a pantry over the wheel well is a logical choice....since the presence of the wheel hump sorta plecludes lots of other things from going there.

We're currently working on our kitchen pantry...which is located over the forward, driver's side wheel hump (we have a flat-nose...so we get to deal with 4 wheel humps). Pantry stuff here.

Hey, do you have any pics of your conversion?

Sean
Old 04-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #75
Bus Nut

I used the wheel space for my a/c pantry combo on one side and the propane heater on the other.
Be resourceful!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #76
Skoolie

Rain, rain...hate to say this but GO AWAY (for now at least)

Well. Haven't done thing except drive her around weekend before last. Still moving like a dream and sounding way quieter with that engine cover back on. Still haven't finished the floor due to wet weather and two bumbed out knees. I'm starting to get frustrated that I'll not get done in time for Rainbow or Burning Man.

Natch, money is mostly the problem but getting a hand is the other. Wonder if I could talk my neighbor into helping me with the flooring in exchange for unlimited fruit tree access. We shall see....

Figured out how I want my few overhead cabinets. Super simple with swing up doors I'll attach myself. I'm resigned to the fact that I can't do the plumping method I want which is to place one of those blue food grade 55 gals inside with just a hand pump. I'm gonna need the full water pump, flush toliet, cold/hot water set up. I kinda have the idea how to do so just need to get the setup. Now...how to do brackets for the tanks...

And lets not even get started on the set up for the propane tanks....ugh.
----------------
Old 04-19-2006, 12:39 AM   #77
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
wheel well

have you considered cutting down your wheel well? I know mine is far larger than need be. I have seen a couple of conversions that have gone that route.

- Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #78
Skoolie

flooring going down...

Okie! So far I've laid the 1/8 cork underlayment on the finished rear floor and it looks good! Next time however, I'll order 1/4 inch as 1/8 is really too thin me thinks. Costco has laminated flooring for $2/sqft so I'll look into that before hitting this local wherehouse to see what they have cheap or free even

Local carpet store let me have some free stuff; pulled some sea foam colored carpet and two small bolts of padding from their trash. One bolt is felt which made me think I could use it for more sound damping around the wheel wells which is where this carpet stuff is going. Huzzah for dumpster diving! Lowes has this really cool bathroom cabinet set up which I think would do well for the kitchen set up. It only has three drawers; two of them are deep and could be customized right proper. Otherwise I'll sink the cash into a larger bathroom cabinet that has this lower cool pull out drawer. This week I hope to have the outline done for the wheel well covers; make the hanging cabinet template and secure the last few pieces of flooring.

Its moving faster but still a long way to go plus the brake lights still aren't working and I'm totally scared of how big the bill will be to fix that exterior monitoring box. I hope its ONLY badly crossed wires since I did get some lights to work. I feel I really can't even do the small electrical I wish to do until this is fixed.

Besides-I like my flashing lights
----------------
Old 05-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #79
Skoolie

Re: wheel well

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf
have you considered cutting down your wheel well? I know mine is far larger than need be. I have seen a couple of conversions that have gone that route.

- Richard
No, not at all. I think it is ok as is. My only concern is making the cover strong enough to hold the batteries/entertainment system and the pantry.
----------------
Old 05-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #80
Bus Nut

If you are looking for cheap laminate flooring check out http://www.lumberliquidators.com. Two years ago we bought the cheap stuff from them and put it in out dining room. It was easy to install and held up to the punishment from the dogs claws. At that time we paid 99¢ sq/ft. Now it is about 79¢ sq/ft.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote