Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 04:34 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

bus on a mission

I apologize in advanced for any mistakes in this skoolie post I’m kinda new to this. This idea of building a tiny home out of a school bus seemed strange to me at first but I too have been stung by the big yellow and black skoolie bug. I’ve been looking for ways to take my project to the next level. This post is to document the experience and to help motivate others. Please be responsible with your comments.

About me:
I am a humble, fun, private, photographer and man on a mission.

What do I do?
In short, I’ve been creating a project called Lincoln Echo, to provide veterans & their families in the U.S. with mentorship and support to find gainful long term employment.

What is Lincoln Echo?
We are a group of passionate individuals committed to making a positive change in the lives of our veterans by addressing reintegration issues within their local communities.

What does this have to do with skoolies??
After seeing the amazing work that folks have done to their rigs, I’ve been scouring the internet looking for a bus to help mobilize my project and take it to the next level.

Well, I found one, and it already has an amazing story!
1999 Blue Bird
color painted single coat white with red stripe by body shop in good shape.
Cummins 8.3 / MD3060 (I know the magic combination) and yes it looked clean.
205,000 miles
Batteries look new
Passenger side non-pass through storage.
Chassis is rust free
Seats are in great condition
no plywood on the floor, just rubber and the metal under has insignificant surface rust.
Tires have only a bit of life

“David” of Bus West took the time to explained the purchase process and state requirements in a very detailed way. He even printed out the documents needed for reference to those requirements. I did not feel rushed and there was no pressure to sell it.

Took it for a spin and it sounded and drove great! Power to spare and no tail smoke. This bus was originally commissioned in the state of Hawaii and is now back here in the states in Southern California. Its history includes being used in multiple Disney productions, and was then painted white with red stripe for a recruiting commercial for the U.S. Marines. It currently sits on a lot of a dealer collecting dust. Now it’s on hold for me to buy within the next 30 days. I don't know if it has been done but I hope to make it the first 50 state Blue Bird bus.

Here are my hurtles:
1. Maybe need CDL for California
2. Get insurance
3. Register in California
4. Come up with the rest of the cheddar before 30 days.

Stay tuned, progress and pictures will be posted.

LincolnEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome LincolnEcho
It sounds like you've found a really nice bus.

You've certainly got goals. Fifty states, because it's already been to Hawaii and you plan to go to Alaska at some point? Well, some of us are going to drive to Hawaii, the long way. Then you'll have to take your bus to Puerto Rico to hold the record at 51 states or territories.

You did good with your thread. No typing errors and good sentence structure. However there were no pictures and some people here don't read things without pictures.

Good to hear from you. Are you planning a complete build on your bus?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
If you title it as a MH/RV you won' need a CDL in Ca your Class C will be fine, IF it's 40ft or more you will need a Class B endorsement ( Not License ).
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Welcome LincolnEcho
It sounds like you've found a really nice bus.

You've certainly got goals. Fifty states, because it's already been to Hawaii and you plan to go to Alaska at some point? Well, some of us are going to drive to Hawaii, the long way. Then you'll have to take your bus to Puerto Rico to hold the record at 51 states or territories.

You did good with your thread. No typing errors and good sentence structure. However there were no pictures and some people here don't read things without pictures.

Good to hear from you. Are you planning a complete build on your bus?

Robin97396,

Thanks for your feed back!! You are correct, I should have included some pictures of the project bus and here they are now that I set up the photo bucket account.

I imagine that when it comes time to include U.S. territories not connected by land, I may have to just fly there with the bus seat cover. lol

Yes, I am planning to do a complete build after getting the bus. I hope to share that conversion on this thread.

(pictures are below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
If you title it as a MH/RV you won' need a CDL in Ca your Class C will be fine, IF it's 40ft or more you will need a Class B endorsement ( Not License ).
Stu & Filo. T,

I thought that too?? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I want to drive it back to the build site after purchase.

More to come...
Old 03-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Where's the build site?
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Where's the build site?
Orange County, near Irvine, but it's not set in stone.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Your bus looks like a real great bus with super potential. Not having to paint it a color that is not National School Bus Chrome Yellow is going to save you a lot of time and $$$.

Your regular drivers license should be good for everywhere except for Canada where you will need an air brake endorsement.

Good luck on your project.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:14 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Your bus looks like a real great bus with super potential. Not having to paint it a color that is not National School Bus Chrome Yellow is going to save you a lot of time and $$$.

Your regular drivers license should be good for everywhere except for Canada where you will need an air brake endorsement.

Good luck on your project.
Thanks Cowlitzcoach!! I was thinking the same thing with the paint job. The floor though!! Taking up that plywood under the seats would have been a bear. Just confirmed also with DMV and CHP today. I'm good with my regular license.

Here are my updated hurtles:
1. Maybe need CDL for California? - [no CDL needed per CHP & DMV in California]
2. Get insurance -
3. Register in California - [need to covert and inspection by CHP]
4. Come up with the rest of the cheddar before 30 days.
5. Start listing and prioritizing things required for conversion
Old 04-01-2017, 02:29 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Wow, awesome looking skoolie. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
Wow, awesome looking skoolie. Good luck to you!

Thank you tobeamiss! getting closer

2. Get insurance – Progressive – got a quote, will start before purchase.

3. Register in California - [need to covert and inspection by CHP] this will take way too long

- I’m going the route warewolff has outlined on the quick registration thread then transfer to California after.

Here is warewolff's thread --> http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html

4. Come up with the rest of the cheddar before 30 days or use the conversion funds to buy bus. (open thought: Thought of doing crowdfunding because there has been lots of support and push for this project but...I don't know if we're ready for that as an organization)

*Edit* Sorry, forgot to add the eye candy.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #11

That thing looks Mint! Nice find!
Skink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
The undercarriage is sweet! You hit the motherload on this one and you don't have to get rid of school bus yellow.
I went the Vermont route and it was seamless. Also, I don't know about State Farm and California but they insured me here in NY knowing it was a bus for personal use. I never mentioned converting it. For some reason, VT didn't change the title to MH, it still came back BU. But I was anxious to get it insured so I started calling around anyway. Thankfully I'm now registered and insured. Good luck to you in the process. It's a little nerve wracking but with persistence you'll get it done.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnEcho View Post
Orange County, near Irvine, but it's not set in stone.
Wow, that's a clean bus! I wish my engine were half as clean as that, but it's a Detroit which are known to mark their territory with straight 40-weight.

My bus is in an RV storage yard in Costa Mesa, so I'm your new neighbour! Where do you plan on doing your conversión in Irvine? There aren't any other bus conversions that I know of in OC - we're a rare breed here.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skink View Post
That thing looks Mint! Nice find!
Thank you Skink!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
The undercarriage is sweet! You hit the motherload on this one and you don't have to get rid of school bus yellow.
I went the Vermont route and it was seamless. Also, I don't know about State Farm and California but they insured me here in NY knowing it was a bus for personal use. I never mentioned converting it. For some reason, VT didn't change the title to MH, it still came back BU. But I was anxious to get it insured so I started calling around anyway. Thankfully I'm now registered and insured. Good luck to you in the process. It's a little nerve wracking but with persistence you'll get it done.

I keep zooming in to look for something wrong on that undercarriage! I may end up doing a video of me eating a pizza off of that bottom. (cover your ears kids!!) lol I am so excited to get this build done quick so we can push Project Lincoln Echo forward. (website is almost done)

I'm set with Progressive but gonna call State farm to see what they can do for me. Nerve wracking is an understatement, you've gotta be very careful what you say to the operators. Anything outside of their normal template and its a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Wow, that's a clean bus! I wish my engine were half as clean as that, but it's a Detroit which are known to mark their territory with straight 40-weight.

My bus is in an RV storage yard in Costa Mesa, so I'm your new neighbour! Where do you plan on doing your conversión in Irvine? There aren't any other bus conversions that I know of in OC - we're a rare breed here.

John
John,

Are those the skid marks I've been seeing on the streets of Costa Mesa??

I'm planning to do most of the conversion at one of the storage places but may get special permission to park at great park temporarily. What does your yard charge and do they provide power? I've not run into anyone else in OC doing a conversion. Maybe we can bounce ideas and help each other.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
If you don't make a mess or worry the neighbours, there's no reason an RV storage yard shouldn't allow you to do a reasonable amount of work. For several years now I've been doing that, being meticulous about cleaning up after projects, and the yard boss is OK with me doing that - he knows full well what I'm doing, and I told him right from the start when I was signing up that I wanted to do 'some light work to my bus every now and then'. Unfortunately my yard is 100% full now, and storage space in OC is at a premium after the huge El Toro storage facility closed last year. This means that spaces are not cheap, typically $200 to $300 a month (and some are more than that!), but you should get wáter, power and a dump station for that price, and a reasonable level of security. Some yards have 24-hour access, but some like mine have limited access hours.

So far I've installed 2kW of solar, four large wáter and waste tanks, propane and house batteries on slide-out trays, wáter pumps/valves/manifold/filter/etc, an emergency generator on a pull-out mount, and a multitude of other things. This year I hope to finally start building the interior - I've now done all the hard stuff installing the essential support systems under the bus, so it should be relatively straightforward (he says optimistically) to build the interior . . . Sincé last summer I've completely replaced the bus's entire cooling system in order to solve some perennial cooling issues: recored and enlarged radiator, new fan and hydraulic fan motor, new hydraulic pump, new transmission fluid cooler, new hydraulic fluid filter, new hoses/valves/gauges/senders/etc, and when I get back home in a few days (I'm still in Mexico on vacation) I just have to reinstall the fan and motor, then all should be good for my annual jaunt to the high desert for the Crown bus shindig next month.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
looks very nice !
djthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
If you don't make a mess or worry the neighbours, there's no reason an RV storage yard shouldn't allow you to do a reasonable amount of work. For several years now I've been doing that, being meticulous about cleaning up after projects, and the yard boss is OK with me doing that - he knows full well what I'm doing, and I told him right from the start when I was signing up that I wanted to do 'some light work to my bus every now and then'. Unfortunately my yard is 100% full now, and storage space in OC is at a premium after the huge El Toro storage facility closed last year. This means that spaces are not cheap, typically $200 to $300 a month (and some are more than that!), but you should get wáter, power and a dump station for that price, and a reasonable level of security. Some yards have 24-hour access, but some like mine have limited access hours.

So far I've installed 2kW of solar, four large wáter and waste tanks, propane and house batteries on slide-out trays, wáter pumps/valves/manifold/filter/etc, an emergency generator on a pull-out mount, and a multitude of other things. This year I hope to finally start building the interior - I've now done all the hard stuff installing the essential support systems under the bus, so it should be relatively straightforward (he says optimistically) to build the interior . . . Sincé last summer I've completely replaced the bus's entire cooling system in order to solve some perennial cooling issues: recored and enlarged radiator, new fan and hydraulic fan motor, new hydraulic pump, new transmission fluid cooler, new hydraulic fluid filter, new hoses/valves/gauges/senders/etc, and when I get back home in a few days (I'm still in Mexico on vacation) I just have to reinstall the fan and motor, then all should be good for my annual jaunt to the high desert for the Crown bus shindig next month.

John
I found a place in Santa Ana that will let me park it till most of the hard work is done. I might want to get out to that Crown shindig myself to get some inspiration for my BB build. Where is it and can anyone go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djthe3rd View Post
looks very nice !
Thank you!

2. Get insurance – Progressive – got a quote, will start before purchase.

3. Register in California - [need to covert and inspection by CHP] this will take way too long

- I’m going the route warewolff has outlined on the quick registration thread then transfer to California after.

Here is warewolff's thread --> http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ho...ion-15292.html

4. Come up with the rest of the cheddar before 30 days or use the conversion funds to buy bus. (picking up next week)

Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

So I was passing through this wal-mart for supplies yesterday and I noticed this skoolie in the parking lot. It was late and I didn't want to knock so I left a note. Anyone know who's bus this is? We should probably start a "just spotted a skoolie" thread??

Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up Got the bus starting the build

So I picked up the bus yesterday morning. Have not named her yet. (open for suggestions)

Now the fun begins. I've started regular maintenance items and also begin ripping the seats out so not much to see yet.

Here's the new list!!

1. Finish non-commercial CDL tests
2. air tools - the bus has a 2 tank system so no wet tank. (need help on this)
3. Photobucket alternative to post pictures
4. Secure door to lock from inside and out.
5. fix or seal emergency exit on roof (has a hole in it)
6. remove seats
7. floor management
- remove rubber and center tracks
- seal screw holes
- treat any rust spots
- treat surface & under carriage with rust block
- paint and prep for floor
8. install floor insulation & surface

just a start so far.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

I think you will discover there are three tanks or one of the tanks has two compartments.

The air system should be plumbed with a wet tank first and then a front and rear tank. If your bus has an air operated door, air suspension, or air driver's seat you should have a fourth tank.

The wet tank should fill up first with the rear and front tanks filling next. The last tank to fill would be the fourth tank. Each tank will have a one way valve that allows air pressure to go only one direction. That way, if one tank or the related system should get a leak it won't suck down the air pressure in the other tanks.

It would appear as if you have gotten yourself a pretty nice little bus. The fact it isn't yellow means you have one less job you have to do.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote