Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
How many are you thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:55 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Do you have a drill press? That would probably speed up doing in the strap. Overall I was amazed at how much labor it took to make these things.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #23
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Do you have a drill press? That would probably speed up doing in the strap. Overall I was amazed at how much labor it took to make these things.

Same! More effort than it looks like. I do have a drill press but I'm taking your advice and drilling the holes all at once on the roof. Everything fits perfectly.

I'm thinking of doing two more in the living room (3 in a row) and one or two, several ribs further down, in the kitchen.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
BuSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #24
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuSmith View Post

I'm thinking of doing two more in the living room (3 in a row) and one or two, several ribs further down, in the kitchen.
I bet the light is amazing. My biggest concern is the heat loss. Let us know if you can feel the difference by the skylights. Triple pane glass would be nice.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:09 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Looks good. Light from above makes the interior look larger a and less cage like. Can you add a second layer on the outside or inside to make it a double pane? I used magnetic strip and glued that with cement glue to lexan and clicked against my backdoor window frame to simulate a double pane.
Later j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #26
Traveling

It'd be wicked to build a clearstory (not correct word, what's it called?)

Anyway, like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	clearstory.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	16971

From this post way back.

You might not need roof raise with this. Look kind of like this :

Name:	troley-top.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	16973

Def doable.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #27
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Attachment 16973

Def doable.
Just need a donor bus. Rust bucket will do fine.

Name:	clearstory.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	16974

Name:	clearside.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	16975
Old 10-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #28
Traveling

Not too bad.

Name:	sighted.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	16977
Old 10-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #29
Almost There

Oohhhhh no! You guys are trying to get me in trouble. You think I haven't bitten off enough with this project? My wife will kill me, roll the bus down an embankment, and burn it with my sad, ambitious, corpse inside if I suggest anything that will extend the timeline that much.

On the other hand, that looks really cool. In lots of ways I wish I hadn't let the old man talk me out of a roof raise.

And to answer your question Rusty I think it will make a different but we're planning on making insulated covers to use if we feel like we need it.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #30
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Looks good. Light from above makes the interior look larger a and less cage like. Can you add a second layer on the outside or inside to make it a double pane? I used magnetic strip and glued that with cement glue to lexan and clicked against my backdoor window frame to simulate a double pane.
Later j
I probably could do a double pane but would it really do anything without an inert gas in between? Did yours help much?

Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
I probably could do a double pane but would it really do anything without an inert gas in between? Did yours help much?

Inert gas wouldn't help. It needs a vacuum to be really effective. Factory made sealed double-panes have a vacuum.

It's not that it won't help, it just won't help as much as sourcing proper double glazing would help. The heat transmission across the gap, even if filled with air, would be considerably slower than any single-pane.

Triple-glazing is also popular in really cold climates and if one of the panes is thicker than the other two, it becomes sound-insulating too.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
That roof style is referred to as a "Trolley Top". Been thinking about that for a few years now but will likely pass on it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

I plan to build covers as well. What strategy do you think you will use?

Old 10-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #34
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I plan to build covers as well. What strategy do you think you will use?

No idea. Maybe something outside. Maybe something inside that sits flush with the ceiling. I'm just gonna burn that bridge when we come to it.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #35
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Crown Supercoach Series II
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC
Quote:
No idea. Maybe something outside. Maybe something inside that sits flush with the ceiling. I'm just gonna burn that bridge when we come to it.

How could you not know?! Jk since it took me several tries to figure out my motor. 6v92 Then I started calling my bus a 1992 because engine being a 92 ...when it's a 1991.

You are a bit ahead of me curly fries but we are on same thing? The skylights. Damn them to hell..but yeah, they are awesome sized but a pain. Do you have a plan? I am smack in middle of fiberglassing over a wood frame that I built for e exits. Carpentry and fiberglass skill null. None. It will rain in a couple days. I will let you know if it works.

I feel like we are brothers in arms.. it's a battle. Keep at it. Keep Rust-Oleum and caulking in holster.

Fiberglass sucks, let's be honest. I'm itching in bed and will wake up to do more...I just think that suffering is the bus way but it will pay off in end.[emoji28]

Sent from my Coolpad 3632A using Tapatalk
yello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #36
Almost There

Coachwork: Crown Supercoach Series II
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by yello View Post
How could you not know?! Jk since it took me several tries to figure out my motor. 6v92 Then I started calling my bus a 1992 because engine being a 92 ...when it's a 1991.

You are a bit ahead of me curly fries but we are on same thing? The skylights. Damn them to hell..but yeah, they are awesome sized but a pain. Do you have a plan? I am smack in middle of fiberglassing over a wood frame that I built for e exits. Carpentry and fiberglass skill null. None. It will rain in a couple days. I will let you know if it works.

I feel like we are brothers in arms.. it's a battle. Keep at it. Keep Rust-Oleum and caulking in holster.

Fiberglass sucks, let's be honest. I'm itching in bed and will wake up to do more...I just think that suffering is the bus way but it will pay off in end.[emoji28]

Here is my diy projects...lol. Who knows it might work. The gaps have strips of wood to make the epoxy and fiberglass have form to stick to. Any remaining gaps have chopped fiberglass because it molds well. Maybe someone can do same and or improve upon it. Using a plywood cover, epoxied/glassed. With garage door gasket and some type of way to latch it.

yello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:31 AM   #37
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by yello View Post
Here is my diy projects...lol. Who knows it might work. The gaps have strips of wood to make the epoxy and fiberglass have form to stick to. Any remaining gaps have chopped fiberglass because it molds well. Maybe someone can do same and or improve upon it. Using a plywood cover, epoxied/glassed. With garage door gasket and some type of way to latch it.

Wow! Cool! Make sure to show us how it turns out.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Inert gas wouldn't help. It needs a vacuum to be really effective. Factory made sealed double-panes have a vacuum.

It's not that it won't help, it just won't help as much as sourcing proper double glazing would help. The heat transmission across the gap, even if filled with air, would be considerably slower than any single-pane.

Triple-glazing is also popular in really cold climates and if one of the panes is thicker than the other two, it becomes sound-insulating too.
the good factory made double panes have inert gas in the middle to keep from having the window suck together in the center.. I helped a friend inspect HVAC / windows, doors, and heat losses in houses for prospective buyers.. we can tell the Cheapie replacement windows because you can see the glass doing wierd things with light reflections on the outside.. whereas the good replacement windows are usually argon-filled. the ones that are gas filled are filled to pressure with the average atmospheric.. these windows generally wont break their seal and have condensation for many years to come..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #39
Almost There

Had dinner with a couple from just down the road on Saturday. They're at the same point in their build more or less. Also living in one bus converting another. Very, very, similar situation. Great folks. Trying to get them to start a thread on here sometime.

In other news, bought plywood for the interior yesterday, bought poly for the other skylights, and cut the holes. Oh and primed them. And removed the existing skylight so that it wouldn't get messed up by sparks.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #40
Almost There

Got these back in two days ago.

Ended up taking a leaf from the floor patching book too. I've seen people talk about epoxying pennies over holes in their floor, so to avoid the usual screeching about dangerous galvanic action, I snipped up some steel roofing trim we had laying about and used it to patch some holes. We had a few extras holes around the old escape hatches that always leaked. Worked great!

We've spent the last two days working on a small redesign of the kitchen plan and looking at different heating options. Ended up having one of those talks that shakes up all your plans and you just decide "Well, maybe I'll have a little look at what else is out there again". Then you end up starting over from the drawing board on something. Oh well. It was fun. So now that we spent her weekend reading and talking over new ideas we can get back to real manual work, tomorrow - computer programming day today.

Tags
8.3l, thomas