Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
I get it

But most of the wiring is up high.
I realize that and you might get lucky if the water didn't rise that high. But if it did, you're done. If my bus was parked in 6' of water I would be very concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
20190319_192300.jpg  

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Was up near the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
00626AEE-DEFC-4603-AE91-B9C2DA6F59D6.jpg  
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Yeesh. Best of luck. And best wishes.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #24
Bus Geek

So all of the harness and electrics except what goes up top to the back were under water. Wires, fuse panels, circuit breakers, gauge panel, etc. all things not designed to be wet. I would recommend putting the bus in a huge bag of rice for a month.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Yeesh. Best of luck. And best wishes.
I made a run at doing the Skoolie thing. This is a catastrophic loss for that dream as I lost the generator, air conditioner and ultimately the bus.

It’s time to hole up, save money and buy a house.

I’m told the bus might be worth $700-$800 in scrap, so I am going to try to find a tow to our scrap yard and cut my losses.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
So all of the harness and electrics except what goes up top to the back were under water. Wires, fuse panels, circuit breakers, gauge panel, etc. all things not designed to be wet. If would recommend putting the bus in a huge bag of rice for a month.
Are you laughing at another’s massive misfortune?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
I made a run at doing the Skoolie thing. This is a catastrophic loss for that dream as I lost the generator, air conditioner and ultimately the bus.

It’s time to hole up, save money and buy a house.

I’m told the bus might be worth $700-$800 in scrap, so I am going to try to find a tow to our scrap yard and cut my losses.
Scrap is down right now, but my 87 BB 37'er brought $1300 without the wheels and tire at the scrap yard. If it's going to scrap and has good tires, might benefit you to resell them separately.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Are you laughing at another’s massive misfortune?
Trying to make lemonade, gotta be positive, it is what it is and sucks to be you right now. I don't envy you at all. I was laughing at my suggested solution that would actually work if it was feasible. It works on cell phones dropped in the toilet.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Trying to make lemonade, gotta be positive, it is what it is and sucks to be you right now. I don't envy you at all. I was laughing at my suggested solution that would actually work if it was feasible. It works on cell phones dropped in the toilet.
Sorry went over my head.

$1,300 would be a god send. The tires are in reasonable shape. At this point I don’t have time or space to maximize loss recovery. I’m just hoping to get some help getting it towed.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #30
Bus Geek

I understand you wanting to wash your hands of it. If you had time, the motor is worth some money after it's drained, and I'm sure there is other salvageable items. I'm not one who likes hanging on to things to part out, takes forever sometimes. I feel for ya.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
I understand you wanting to wash your hands of it. If you had time, the motor is worth some money after it's drained, and I'm sure there is other salvageable items. I'm not one who likes hanging on to things to part out, takes forever sometimes. I feel for ya.
Would absolutely love too. Problem is I’m going from 2 acres and a shop to a basement in the city. I may through it up for sale, and see if someone wants to drop the motor and trans.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Would absolutely love too. Problem is I’m going from 2 acres and a shop to a basement in the city. I may through it up for sale, and see if someone wants to drop the motor and trans.
When it rains it pours, doesn't it brother. Good luck
I purposely built my house on a hill. Every time Ga. weather was in the news Mom would call to see if I flooded out. Mom, if I'm flooded, the state of Ga. is underwater.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I don't know how much time you have before you have to move it or sell it. My wife and I were restoring an old railroad car and about 5 years into the project we had all the major structural repairs done and getting good start on the inside. My wife had been laying on scaffolding painting the ceiling and had that just about done. Then while working on it it caught fire. We all got out ok, sprained knee the only injury. 5 fire extinguishers later we had the fire out. Felt so heartbroken and ready to walk away from it. After a week of feeling bad we started the clean up. It sure took a lot of work to get it back to where we had it and plenty more to finish it. It really is a first class car now, and I am glad we did not give up our dream.

I am not in your shoes so to speak but hope you can find a way to clean it up, dry it out and keep your dream alive. I do not see the bus as totaled. I have fixed up far worse. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide you must do.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
What can a relatively healthy used DT466 get? I seem to see some listed for $6000 to $8000 but that seems a bit implausible. I imagine the logistics of pulling it, storing it and eventually delivering it to a buyer would eat into whatever value it has anyway.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I am really sorry for your situation and hope that the insurance is helping a little. I realize the emotional pressure leads one to abandon but I would drain the oil and water. Then the same for tranny. Disconnect the fuel line and hook up clean fuel out of a separate tank. Take the airfilter of and see if you can slowly Barr it over with a wrench as to remove water in the cylinders. If you get that far then refill with oil and try to start it. You might be surprised.

Good luck man...Johan

By the way that is the same for your generator.
Whatever electronics needs to be opened up and dried out.
I would not worry to much about the electrical contacts. Spray some wd40 on them that will help displace water and prevent corrosion.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I would look for a product specifically for electrical parts cleaner vs. WD 40. Since it isn’t conducive, I’ve had some problems when using it for this.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Sorry to hear of your problems. I too wonder why they call it 100 year events when they seem to happen every decade. I don't understand how insurance could get by with not covering you, but then again, I don't understand most insurance stuff and generally dislike them.

As far as your computer goes. You'll have to see how high the water got. Most of your computers are fairly weather proof. The big thing you have to worry about is fuse/relay boxes. If it's below those, and below the floor of the bus. I'd say it's still savable.

Fluids can be changed easy enough. But once it gets inside the cabin, it pretty much is ruined. Especially if it gets in the power panel.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #38
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I would look for a product specifically for electrical parts cleaner vs. WD 40. Since it isn’t conducive, I’ve had some problems when using it for this.
Thats good advice. We found out last night there is access beyond a barrier, but its a 1 mile walk. I think since the generator is on wheels, I will wheel that sucker out and take it apart this weekend.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #39
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems. I too wonder why they call it 100 year events when they seem to happen every decade. I don't understand how insurance could get by with not covering you, but then again, I don't understand most insurance stuff and generally dislike them.

As far as your computer goes. You'll have to see how high the water got. Most of your computers are fairly weather proof. The big thing you have to worry about is fuse/relay boxes. If it's below those, and below the floor of the bus. I'd say it's still savable.

Fluids can be changed easy enough. But once it gets inside the cabin, it pretty much is ruined. Especially if it gets in the power panel.
I attached a picture in an earlier post. It was about halfway up the steering wheel... I don't have a choice but to salvage this thing.

A friend of mine sells parts to truck shops, and he is going to see if anyone has use of the DT466/A2000 combo. If not the whole thing is going to scrap.

There is LARGE heavy truck salvage yard about 10 miles from me, but they too flooded heavily. Otherwise I was going to attempt to sell it to them.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
So all of the harness and electrics except what goes up top to the back were under water. Wires, fuse panels, circuit breakers, gauge panel, etc. all things not designed to be wet. I would recommend putting the bus in a huge bag of rice for a month.
I would throw a bunch of box fans, or blower fans (if you can get your hands on them) inside that bus and let them run for a week. Much like the house flood recovery guys do. Then after that run a dehumidifier in the bus with all of the windows closed. Do that for another week. Drain all fluid, refill and try it out..
I personally wouldn't write it off quite yet, but I also understand time is an issue and you have other more important things on your mind.