Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
As someone whose property floods 2-5 times/year, I really do feel for you. I have one eye on my hydro graph every day and need to pull the bus to higher ground when the river starts to show teeth. We are essentially an island before we flood so getting the bus out can be a HUGE challenge. I’ve certainly had my share of flood cleanup (physically and mentally) and it sucks but keep your head on what you have to do and before you know it, this will be a distant memory. One that you will impress yourself with how you got through a tough time. Again, sorry for the loss.

Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Well man that just sucks then. You can try and put fans and humidifiers in it and see if you can save it, but once it's wet they're usually done. It's not really the water but the mud that is in the water.

I'd dry it out and at least flip the key on. If it shows any life at all you might be able to save it but I wouldn't count on it.

Then again, you have a house and more important things to worry about then the bus.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it will catch fire and burn the whole works down. I would think your insurance would cover you then.

This whole thing just stinks
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
I would throw a bunch of box fans, or blower fans (if you can get your hands on them) inside that bus and let them run for a week. Much like the house flood recovery guys do. Then after that run a dehumidifier in the bus with all of the windows closed. Do that for another week. Drain all fluid, refill and try it out..
I personally wouldn't write it off quite yet, but I also understand time is an issue and you have other more important things on your mind.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
When it comes to 500 year storms, we've had 26 in the last 10 years.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
"100 year flood" is a very misleading way of saying that there is a 1% chance of that level of flooding happening in any given year. Probability may be 99 to 1 against but possibility is always 50 - 50. Either the thing will happen or it won't.

I was in the building maintenance field for years and my recurring nightmare was about water damage.

My sincere condolences about your bus and home. In time you'll look back on this and laugh but I know that today is most definitely not that day.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
If you really do let it go I could use the engine and trans for my short bus.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #47
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
"100 year flood" is a very misleading way of saying that there is a 1% chance of that level of flooding happening in any given year. Probability may be 99 to 1 against but possibility is always 50 - 50. Either the thing will happen or it won't.

I was in the building maintenance field for years and my recurring nightmare was about water damage.

My sincere condolences about your bus and home. In time you'll look back on this and laugh but I know that today is most definitely not that day.
appreciate it. If we can salvage some cash out of some of this stuff, we will be buying a house in 4-5 months.
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #48
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
If you really do let it go I could use the engine and trans for my short bus.
If you are serious, and have a way to get it, message me with an offer.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #49
Skoolie

Got to the bus today. It’s trashed. Could hardly get the key in the keyhole it’s so muddy.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Last year my community was covered in Lava. LARGE neighborhoods, indeed half the lower-Puna district, covered and encased in molten rock, not just wet and muddy. No warning. And it went on and on and on. Meanwhile, there was no escape on the island from the deadly volcanic gasses that were smothering the area. I moved from the beach downhill of the new vent, to uphill at a friends' farm. One morning I woke in my tent and visibility was 1/4 mile from the vog (volcanic smog). The tree I slept under lost all its leaves that day (and my friend lost his 40 medical plants). Shards of volcanic glass were falling from the sky as lava was shooting at up to a reported 600 feet into the air - like strands of fiberglass. Microscopic bits floated around, and if you were outside, you were breathing them.

I moved.

I lost my community, friends, job, home. Many people I knew lost their property - everything.
My lungs are still hurting.

I mentioned here in a previous post I lost everything, and have no direction in life now. It is all a blank slate, and I don't know where to go, what to do, how to make a living, blah, blah, blah, but that is part of how I got into a bus.
The response I got from someone is that (s)he wished that their life was a blank slate. Ahhh...the Buddha's teaching. Hold on to nothing but your own mind and breath.

Sorry to hear you lost most stuff. Seen it happen to many in my life for many reasons from disaster to drugs.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
Got to the bus today. It’s trashed. Could hardly get the key in the keyhole it’s so muddy.
Sorry
It is only a “thing” but it still is bothersome.

Look forward.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #52
Skoolie

Wanted to let folks know, we were granted temporary access to the house. We didn't know how time we would have so we hauled rear end and got everything out that was salvageable. At least at this point we can move forward!
Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #53
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
Wanted to let folks know, we were granted temporary access to the house. We didn't know how time we would have so we hauled rear end and got everything out that was salvageable. At least at this point we can move forward!
it's onwards and upwards from here - good luck
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote