Old 03-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Busker is a goner

Attached picture is of my home. Everyone including animals is safe. Busker is located inside the shop with 4-6’ of water, I am sure electronics have been compromised. Will probably send it to scrap to recoup as much as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 138186FE-73C1-4603-9FAF-A674E00B5C5E.jpg (99.9 KB, 102 views)
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 34
Clearly sucks, but glad everyone is okay.....and you can eventually recover from this. I guess the 'silver lining' is that you weren't heavily into your build concerning time and dollars.

Will insurance cover anything, or is that a known flood plain?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Clearly sucks, but glad everyone is okay.....and you can eventually recover from this. I guess the 'silver lining' is that you weren't heavily into your build concerning time and dollars.

Will insurance cover anything, or is that a known flood plain?
Procrastinating pays off once again ;)

We were in a low risk area, but protected by levees. The water that came obliterated record levels. No amount of planning could have ever delt with what happened in Nebraska this week. My commuter car that we had to leave will be covered, that’s about all.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
The water that came obliterated record levels. No amount of planning could have ever delt with what happened in Nebraska this week.
Every report I've read includes the phrase "50 year flood" or "100 year flood" or "once in a lifetime" flood......hard to plan for those. I feel for you and your Midwestern neighbors. Stay safe.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
That sucks. sorry for your loss.
Rovobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Every report I've read includes the phrase "50 year flood" or "100 year flood" or "once in a lifetime" flood......hard to plan for those. I feel for you and your Midwestern neighbors. Stay safe.
The problem with that is that these days, we're seeing "100 year" events about every seven or eight years.

I'm really sorry you have had this happen to you.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenYouKnowIt View Post
The problem with that is that these days, we're seeing "100 year" events about every seven or eight years.

I'm really sorry you have had this happen to you.
That is correct. If you look at the graph, the prior record at 36’ was the flood of 2011. That was considered a “500 year event.” As you can see this event obliterated that.

Any advise on salvaging money out this situation? Should I try to sell the motor/trans? Or just scrap the whole thing?
Attached Images
File Type: png 5F99838E-0BF3-482B-953D-623C315961D7.png (568.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
i'd look at the water lines when you get back... see just how high it got.. the computer on a 466E is up pretty high at least 4-5 feet off the ground. im not sure where the trans computer is on that body style.. on conventionals its often also up pretty high.. water in the engine is pretty easy to get out.. so it got high enough to fill up part of the engine from the draft tube, you can drain that.. if your conversion hasnt taken you as far as replacing your plywood yet and it got to the floor you can yank all that out..

rear axles, transmission etc.. good drain flush and fill and good as new..

guys I wheeled with used to bury their jeeps in the water and muck all the time and somehow the computers and engines survived.. the only ones that didnt seemed to be the guys that were sinking in the water and kept trying to gun the engine to get through and theyd blow apart the internals of the engine when the intake sucked water..

if your computer survived it will be an easy test to see.. you get back clean it up the best you can, then put power to the system.. if the WARN engine and WAIT start light come on, it means the computer booted up and passed self check... if the computer fails it wont light the WARN light and will never get to the point of turning on the Grid heater.. obviously you wont crank the engine. but would be a test to see if the base electronics survived..

water up to the windshield would be a tough one to survive.. a used computer on ebay is a few hundred bucks...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
i'd look at the water lines when you get back... see just how high it got.. the computer on a 466E is up pretty high at least 4-5 feet off the ground. im not sure where the trans computer is on that body style.. on conventionals its often also up pretty high.. water in the engine is pretty easy to get out.. so it got high enough to fill up part of the engine from the draft tube, you can drain that.. if your conversion hasnt taken you as far as replacing your plywood yet and it got to the floor you can yank all that out..

rear axles, transmission etc.. good drain flush and fill and good as new..

guys I wheeled with used to bury their jeeps in the water and muck all the time and somehow the computers and engines survived.. the only ones that didnt seemed to be the guys that were sinking in the water and kept trying to gun the engine to get through and theyd blow apart the internals of the engine when the intake sucked water..

if your computer survived it will be an easy test to see.. you get back clean it up the best you can, then put power to the system.. if the WARN engine and WAIT start light come on, it means the computer booted up and passed self check... if the computer fails it wont light the WARN light and will never get to the point of turning on the Grid heater.. obviously you wont crank the engine. but would be a test to see if the base electronics survived..

water up to the windshield would be a tough one to survive.. a used computer on ebay is a few hundred bucks...

-Christopher
All great advice, and depending on what it looks like may take a run at it. From the few pictures we have of our home, I would guess the bus got at LEAST 5 feet.

Problem is, our house will be demolished, so we are losing our acreage. We will be living in a friends basemnt saving for a down payment to buy a house. So even if the bus isn’t ruined, there is nowhere to take it. It will be sold running or not unfortunately.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Sorry Husker.