Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Busker is a goner

Attached picture is of my home. Everyone including animals is safe. Busker is located inside the shop with 4-6’ of water, I am sure electronics have been compromised. Will probably send it to scrap to recoup as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
138186FE-73C1-4603-9FAF-A674E00B5C5E.jpg  

Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 34
Clearly sucks, but glad everyone is okay.....and you can eventually recover from this. I guess the 'silver lining' is that you weren't heavily into your build concerning time and dollars.

Will insurance cover anything, or is that a known flood plain?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Clearly sucks, but glad everyone is okay.....and you can eventually recover from this. I guess the 'silver lining' is that you weren't heavily into your build concerning time and dollars.

Will insurance cover anything, or is that a known flood plain?
Procrastinating pays off once again ;)

We were in a low risk area, but protected by levees. The water that came obliterated record levels. No amount of planning could have ever delt with what happened in Nebraska this week. My commuter car that we had to leave will be covered, that’s about all.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
The water that came obliterated record levels. No amount of planning could have ever delt with what happened in Nebraska this week.
Every report I've read includes the phrase "50 year flood" or "100 year flood" or "once in a lifetime" flood......hard to plan for those. I feel for you and your Midwestern neighbors. Stay safe.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
That sucks. sorry for your loss.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Every report I've read includes the phrase "50 year flood" or "100 year flood" or "once in a lifetime" flood......hard to plan for those. I feel for you and your Midwestern neighbors. Stay safe.
The problem with that is that these days, we're seeing "100 year" events about every seven or eight years.

I'm really sorry you have had this happen to you.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenYouKnowIt View Post
The problem with that is that these days, we're seeing "100 year" events about every seven or eight years.

I'm really sorry you have had this happen to you.
That is correct. If you look at the graph, the prior record at 36’ was the flood of 2011. That was considered a “500 year event.” As you can see this event obliterated that.

Any advise on salvaging money out this situation? Should I try to sell the motor/trans? Or just scrap the whole thing?
Attached Thumbnails
5F99838E-0BF3-482B-953D-623C315961D7.png  
Old 03-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
i'd look at the water lines when you get back... see just how high it got.. the computer on a 466E is up pretty high at least 4-5 feet off the ground. im not sure where the trans computer is on that body style.. on conventionals its often also up pretty high.. water in the engine is pretty easy to get out.. so it got high enough to fill up part of the engine from the draft tube, you can drain that.. if your conversion hasnt taken you as far as replacing your plywood yet and it got to the floor you can yank all that out..

rear axles, transmission etc.. good drain flush and fill and good as new..

guys I wheeled with used to bury their jeeps in the water and muck all the time and somehow the computers and engines survived.. the only ones that didnt seemed to be the guys that were sinking in the water and kept trying to gun the engine to get through and theyd blow apart the internals of the engine when the intake sucked water..

if your computer survived it will be an easy test to see.. you get back clean it up the best you can, then put power to the system.. if the WARN engine and WAIT start light come on, it means the computer booted up and passed self check... if the computer fails it wont light the WARN light and will never get to the point of turning on the Grid heater.. obviously you wont crank the engine. but would be a test to see if the base electronics survived..

water up to the windshield would be a tough one to survive.. a used computer on ebay is a few hundred bucks...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
i'd look at the water lines when you get back... see just how high it got.. the computer on a 466E is up pretty high at least 4-5 feet off the ground. im not sure where the trans computer is on that body style.. on conventionals its often also up pretty high.. water in the engine is pretty easy to get out.. so it got high enough to fill up part of the engine from the draft tube, you can drain that.. if your conversion hasnt taken you as far as replacing your plywood yet and it got to the floor you can yank all that out..

rear axles, transmission etc.. good drain flush and fill and good as new..

guys I wheeled with used to bury their jeeps in the water and muck all the time and somehow the computers and engines survived.. the only ones that didnt seemed to be the guys that were sinking in the water and kept trying to gun the engine to get through and theyd blow apart the internals of the engine when the intake sucked water..

if your computer survived it will be an easy test to see.. you get back clean it up the best you can, then put power to the system.. if the WARN engine and WAIT start light come on, it means the computer booted up and passed self check... if the computer fails it wont light the WARN light and will never get to the point of turning on the Grid heater.. obviously you wont crank the engine. but would be a test to see if the base electronics survived..

water up to the windshield would be a tough one to survive.. a used computer on ebay is a few hundred bucks...

-Christopher
All great advice, and depending on what it looks like may take a run at it. From the few pictures we have of our home, I would guess the bus got at LEAST 5 feet.

Problem is, our house will be demolished, so we are losing our acreage. We will be living in a friends basemnt saving for a down payment to buy a house. So even if the bus isn’t ruined, there is nowhere to take it. It will be sold running or not unfortunately.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Sorry Husker.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
It may not look good now, but just hold off until it all recedes and you finally get eyes on it. Only once you have eyes on the target will you know for sure.

I have friends whose house and barn was about 200ft from where a levee broke. They had to be airlifted out it was so bad - everything was completely inundated. They told me that the roar simply overwhelmed their senses - they couldn't think or decide anything except to just get out of the way.

Today they are still living in the same house. It was not washed away as many others had been. Due to a quirk of geography there was a gigantic sand pit that was hidden underneath their "front yard" (actually a fairly large pasture at the time). The water hit that pit, sank, and the flow redirected away from their house and barn. Once all of the topsoil was stripped, the pit turned into a whirlpool and a mobile home that was caught in it just sat and spun around and around in it.

My friends didn't know any of what happened until they returned about 4 weeks later. When they were airlifted out all they could see was the break and the water heading directly for their house. Reports during that month they were away didn't give any reassurance that anything had survived - actually just the opposite. (I know because they kept us up-to-date on everything, and the wife called my wife many times during that month.)

This will be heartbreaking - be ready for that. But until you have eyes on the details of the aftermath, your mind will continue to paint gloomier and gloomier pictures. Try to hold off getting sucked in until you know for sure. My friends didn't, and that last week before they heard they could return was a very dark time. Then they found what did survive....

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Why will you lose your acreage?
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
It may not look good now, but just hold off until it all recedes and you finally get eyes on it. Only once you have eyes on the target will you know for sure.

I have friends whose house and barn was about 200ft from where a levee broke. They had to be airlifted out it was so bad - everything was completely inundated. They told me that the roar simply overwhelmed their senses - they couldn't think or decide anything except to just get out of the way.

Today they are still living in the same house. It was not washed away as many others had been. Due to a quirk of geography there was a gigantic sand pit that was hidden underneath their "front yard" (actually a fairly large pasture at the time). The water hit that pit, sank, and the flow redirected away from their house and barn. Once all of the topsoil was stripped, the pit turned into a whirlpool and a mobile home that was caught in it just sat and spun around and around in it.

My friends didn't know any of what happened until they returned about 4 weeks later. When they were airlifted out all they could see was the break and the water heading directly for their house. Reports during that month they were away didn't give any reassurance that anything had survived - actually just the opposite. (I know because they kept us up-to-date on everything, and the wife called my wife many times during that month.)

This will be heartbreaking - be ready for that. But until you have eyes on the details of the aftermath, your mind will continue to paint gloomier and gloomier pictures. Try to hold off getting sucked in until you know for sure. My friends didn't, and that last week before they heard they could return was a very dark time. Then they found what did survive....

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
That’s remarkable that their home was spared. Ours most surely won’t be. I have images of the water halfway up the back door. It’s a 1906 home that isn’t insured, and we rent it. It will most likely be torn down. Not to mention we are only 3 miles down stream from a water treatment plant that was and still is dumping raw sewage.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Why will you lose your acreage?
We rent the home and two acres that is part of a larger 100 acre plot. The guy that owns it bought the whole thing and is trying to develop it. So this home was going to be take down after we left anyway. So the flood just sped that timeline up.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #15
Bus Nut

I see sorry
Old 03-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Was the bus going to be your home once done?
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #17
Bus Nut

I think it will be ok
Old 03-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
I think it will be ok
If water gets into the wiring harness it is going to start rusting all those connections and the bus will be toast.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If water gets into the wiring harness it is going to start rusting all those connections and the bus will be toast.
I get it

But most of the wiring is up high.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I have driven a Jeep through water hood deep. Only bad thing that happened was that I aspirated water and broke a connecting rod and put a hole in the block.

Put a used running motor in and all worked again.

Albeit that was not weeks of being underwater...

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote