Old 09-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #101
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Buster

my goodness just a small fortune spent on batteries there,maybe you can run the whole bus off them!Not a big hat fan though.....
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #102
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
my goodness just a small fortune spent on batteries there,maybe you can run the whole bus off them!Not a big hat fan though.....
YAH..Too expensive...
But I have my off-the-grid power that I have been wanting. I worked on wiring the solar power this weekend (along with many trips to the Depot) & have to finish building the stand for the solar panel frame - & then I can test it out!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #103
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

dude...cant wait to see how well it works man. i looked for ya on fb and couldnt find ya. add me. im at www.facebook.com/bikeforthelight
Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #104
Bus Nut

Well today I got the off-grid solar power up & running! Was able to test a light & yup, it lit up!
I don't have much room to set up the solar panels along "the equator" to get full sun as there is a house in the way of the sun but I think I have a good idea that it is working. I haven't figured out my charge controller yet & how the indicator lights work - am confused. I have to shoot some photos to please everyone.

My brother inlaw & I were working inside the bus organizing inventory & packing it & I had him move a plastic bread rack to the front of the bus after he emptied it. I asked him to just lean it against the drivers seat in the aisle till the rain stopped pouring (freaking rain is a pain in my ass). A few minutes later I hear something fall & yep, the bread rack rolled down the steps & broke one of the lower door windows... ****! Its always something! I asked him where he put it & he said 'Up on the jumpseat!' ARGH... I think THIS is why I think I do everything myself...

SO - anyone have an idea what a new lower window might cost to have someone come by & install it off the top of their head?? I gotta have this done sat or mon but really we were hoping to leave on monday...

EDIT: I think after reading this is may have gotten an attitude somewhere along the line... Hmm...gotta chill out! puff...
Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #105
Bus Nut

Thanks MB.

I forgot I did take some photos but are not up to date...
I added a simple inside latch from the Home Depot to the double doors & it works well. All for only $8.99! I also added a pull handle to the inner left door after removing the assist rails (not shown in photo) which made a huge difference in space in the entrance.

Speaking of pull handles, I added a Cool Antique Cast Iron Coke Bottle pull handle to the bottom of the jumpseat which I was going to also use to strap down the seat but it turns out it is heavy enough to weigh the jumpseat on its own! NO MORE FALLING off of the jumpseat!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #106
Bus Nut

Breaker for the battery bank to protect & so I can shut off the power if needed. $20 at the Depot for the box & dual breaker. Everything is mounted under the work counter...

Mounted the charge controller on the wall next to the jump seat so I can monitor it easily plus it keeps my wire run to a bare minimum waste length. I can hang the solar panel lead on the multi-purpose Coke handle.

The GFI outlet in the shelves at the end of the work counter. Everything is currently wired, just not photo'd!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #107
Bus Nut

Well we have a guy coming tomorrow or monday morning at the latest to install a new door window. He suggested plexi as the new version is extremely strong (very hard to break) & much cheaper to install - $130-150 but could be less if it doesn't give him a hard time!

We are 3/4's the way loaded! Got the trailer absolutely packed solid & the bus is about 1/3 full so far... furniture is next with mountain bikes & more....
Old 09-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #108
Bus Nut

Send a message via AIM to baadpuppy Send a message via MSN to baadpuppy Send a message via Yahoo to baadpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
We are 3/4's the way loaded! Got the trailer absolutely packed solid & the bus is about 1/3 full so far... furniture is next with mountain bikes & more....
Check those bearings on that trailer, make sure they have plenty of grease.

I wish for you to have a pleasant and uneventful trip west.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #109
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

hey man...all the stuff looks great. so when are you leaving? sorry i havent been able to call or come by. are you gonna get to leave tomorrow? lemme know man.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #110
Bus Crazy

Safe trip, fair winds, blue skies, and all that good stuff. I hope New Mexico is all you expect it to be and more.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote