Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Re: Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
You'll be glad you got that porta-john the very first time you DON'T have to unhook everything just to dump your black water tank!! Experience speaking...

My folks have had to unhook several times just because the toilet tank was full. What a pain! An obviously avoidable pain!

My Dad couldn't understand why I decided not to use a regular RV toilet / tank. Now he knows.
Oh I am sure there is nothing worse & has to be an absolute pain, especially when the tank is full & you have cutter pressure!
We figure we have to build a compost toilet at the cabin & this will work for us till then...& then it will be good in Buster as we will probably be camping more in the boonies than campgrounds. Either way, nothing like having a portable pooper!

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #42
Bus Nut

I came across photos from 1990, with my first school bus that I bought to move from Hershey PA to Orlando... Yup, it was a 1970 Ford (Blue Bird I believe) with a straight 6 gas engine, 4 speed & air brakes. It took about 30 hours & many quarts of oil to go 1000 miles! That Landcruiser made it a bit top heavy! Thats me on the hood with all the hair (remember this was 1990!)

This was on I-95, no faster than 55mph!

We eventually drove this bus empty to Daytona Beach for a day & cruized it up & down the beach picking up chicks... We had beach chairs on the back & man it was a blast till we got pulled over...on the beach...10 mph speed limit...cop told us everyone had to sit ON the bed of the truck as he was afraid someone might fall off, then laughed at the bus and sent us on our way!

Scratching head...why do I always end up with blue busses...
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins

Sweet old pics! I dig the group shot you guys!

Can you explain the porta toidy a bit more... does bottom peice floor mount? or is it "portable" and you dump the bottom peice?
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
Sweet old pics! I dig the group shot you guys!
It was a blast! Back in those days Orlando was too much fun & I was 24 then when I moved & all about partying! The bus was a blast till we got a code violation (those keep following me) & we traded the bus for a nice 78 Camaro RS I believe to a guy who wanted to haul his race car...He eventually put a sleeping area in the little space in the cab. (2 rows of seats I think). The back door opened onto the flatbed that was about 18' long...

Quote:
Can you explain the porta toidy a bit more... does bottom peice floor mount? or is it "portable" and you dump the bottom peice?
It is totally portable... There are 2 holding tanks, one to flush with fresh water & the holding tank. If I remember correctly the fresh water is 2.5 gallons & the holding tank is 3.5 but I could be a bit off... Basically, you do your business & it is sealed so it doesn't stink & when it fills up you disconnect the bottom & dump!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Yea, I could be wrong about the specs as my potty is in transit & I haven't actually sat on the throne yet!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78

i have the identical model of toilet but in the more desirable khaki over faded chocolate brown color scheme. i believe if you look at my posting on the G Bus all will be super jealous. also i can/ can't wait to use mine. really i just can wait for a long time to dump it but i do want to use it when no-one is looking(no blinds yet)
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjz5400
i have the identical model of toilet but in the more desirable khaki over faded chocolate brown color scheme. i believe if you look at my posting on the G Bus all will be super jealous. also i can/ can't wait to use mine. really i just can wait for a long time to dump it but i do want to use it when no-one is looking(no blinds yet)
So how many gallons does yours hold? I bought mine without much info on the ebay listing & of course the guy didnt answer any questions so I am not sure about mine...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #48
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78

i have no clue i spotted it at a flea market , not for sale. i sent my girlfriend back up there with a ten dollar limit and she came back with it and zero doll hairs change.
i have stickers on it so i will look for you but i don't remember seeing a volume. i just got it to help pass my house car inspection but now i think ill use it for a while.
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
Oh yea... our new porta-toidy courtesy of ebay for $16.00!
You KNOW you've got the "skoolie sickness" bad when a thread can devolve into the pluses and minuses of one porta-john over another....

With that being said, $16.00 is an excellent price! So is $10.00 ! You guys saved some major cash over paying retail!
LOL! That is SO true... the UNCURABLE sickness at that!
I am sure the first time I need the potty I will be a happy camper & yea, good price!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #50
Bus Nut

...........Its a crappy conversation, but it Must be held!........... ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #51
Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 54

Quote:
Well I am trying to decide what I am going to do with the main door as I cannot get it to shut without a 6 pack of bungie cords! I am considering using angle iron to connect the 2 doors together as one to make it more of a traditional door but the way they are hinged it might just be a pain in the *ss to do... I really do not want to put in an RV door unless I have to as I like the factory doors on the bus. I guess I just have to start to tear it apart & see what it looks like & whethe I can do this or not... Has anyone else combined the 2 doors as one & added a locking latch mechanism before?? I would love to hear how you did it!

Jonathan
You have a good looking bus

You might want to fill in that bi-fold with a body panel and install an RV door back a ways, not too big a deal and you gain a passenger seat!

Take Care,
Den
Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorCityDen
Quote:
Well I am trying to decide what I am going to do with the main door as I cannot get it to shut without a 6 pack of bungie cords! I am considering using angle iron to connect the 2 doors together as one to make it more of a traditional door but the way they are hinged it might just be a pain in the *ss to do... I really do not want to put in an RV door unless I have to as I like the factory doors on the bus. I guess I just have to start to tear it apart & see what it looks like & whethe I can do this or not... Has anyone else combined the 2 doors as one & added a locking latch mechanism before?? I would love to hear how you did it!

Jonathan
You have a good looking bus

You might want to fill in that bi-fold with a body panel and install an RV door back a ways, not too big a deal and you gain a passenger seat!

Take Care,
Den
Thanks Den! It would look so much better with the door moved back with the body skinned & I considered this but it will have to wait till after we move to NM... Till then we got a gate closer that we are modifying to clasp the door shut & it will hold a padlock which is my mail concern - sercurity!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
...........Its a crappy conversation, but it Must be held!........... ^.^
LOL!!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Quote:
You might want to use a couple of eye-bolts and some as I did. VERY secure! No bungee cords needed either!
I saw that but that setup wont lock the door will it??
Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Quote:
It will on the inside if you use 4 eyebolts (1 on each door and one on either side of the frame). If your doors open out, you would need a couple of eyebolts outside. Drill a hole in each end of the rebar and put a padlock through each hole. Not the prettiest setup in the world but it does work. Most thieves are lazy anyway.... if you were trying to steal, would you rather have to deal with a solid iron bar or one of those flimsy RV door locks?? I would guess most thieves would just pass the iron bar by...??
True, true... I have to take another look at your setup...
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Ok, I tried to start up Buster today & it cranked & cranked for a little while (has done this before after sitting a while) & I noticed the batteries starting to slow the starter. So I went & grabbed the battery charger (trickle) & opened the battery door to smoke... The wires are obviously hot & I am sure continuous cranking would heat up the wires, but smoke? The smoke dissapated & nothing was on fire BUT that shouldn't happen correct?
I did notice that there is a litte corrosion on one of the batteries that I will clean off... Any input??

The bus was just serviced & it concerns me about the hard starting unless my batteries just aren't putting out enough power... There are 3 batteries on the tray.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #57
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Rated Cap: 84

What size batteries are you using? My CAT has two 8D's. And when I bought it, one was trash and the other was not very good. We put a fully charged regular battery jumpered to the one working battery and a jumped a battery off a running truck to the bus system and it would not start it. I guess what I am trying to say is, these engines take a ton of cranking amps. So if you even have one that is going bad, you will probably have problems.

Chad
tfdfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdfyrman
What size batteries are you using? My CAT has two 8D's. And when I bought it, one was trash and the other was not very good. We put a fully charged regular battery jumpered to the one working battery and a jumped a battery off a running truck to the bus system and it would not start it. I guess what I am trying to say is, these engines take a ton of cranking amps. So if you even have one that is going bad, you will probably have problems.

Chad
Hey Chad, I am not sure what batteries I have as there are no markings at all (of course). See photos & let me know if you or anyone else can verify anything... They are just a hair low on water so I am picking up some distilled water tonight & will try an overnight trickle on them to see if there is any way of saving them. I want to take the bus out for a drive to charge the batteries up as it has been sitting since I brought it home & I only started it occasionally which may have contributed to the low charge I am now experiencing. What price did you get on your 8D batteries & where do I find them? Also, that little metal box with the red button (says 105 I believe) what is it?

Jonathan

OOPS...completely forgot the photos! DOH!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Hey Chad, I am not sure what batteries I have as there are no markings at all (of course). See photos & let me know if you or anyone else can verify anything... They are just a hair low on water so I am picking up some distilled water tonight & will try an overnight trickle on them to see if there is any way of saving them. I want to take the bus out for a drive to charge the batteries up as it has been sitting since I brought it home & I only started it occasionally which may have contributed to the low charge I am now experiencing. What price did you get on your 8D batteries & where do I find them? Also, that little metal box with the red button (says 105 I believe) what is it?

Jonathan
Jonathan,
It would appear that you have three "31 Series" commercial truck batteries in your battery bay. And, even though it doesn't look like you have a LOT of corrosion, there is enough to possibly cause the problems you are experiencing. Keep in mind that in an electrical circuit on an auto or bus, you are only dealing with 12-14 VDC maximum. And when starting, a diesel engine starter can draw 800-900 amps or more of current under cold starting or other heavy load conditions. By Ohm's law, if you have even one (1) ohm of resistance, 12 volts will only produce 12 amps of current in that circuit. So, I can't stress it enough, clean all connections thoroughly. This includes battery posts, connectors on battery posts, connections to starter, and especially chassis and engine ground straps. Incidentally, the box with the red "105" button is either an inline fuse or breaker for the battery curcuit. At least that is what it does on my bus, and the inline location on your's would indicate a similar function. If that is the function, there will also be connections inside the box. Give everything a good cleaning and spray afterward with WD-40 or coat with ordinary grease to avoid further corrosion or oxidation. Tighten all connections properly, then try to recharge batteries and see what happens. With any luck, you may find you don't need new batteries after all.
Best of Luck to You!
Lee
Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Thanks all for the helpful input from everyone. I am learning everyday!

I will take your advice Lee & clean everything today & put a charger on the batteries & see what comes of it... I understand when hooking up a charger or jumping these batteries it doesn't matter which one I connect to correct? Thanks again, I hope they still work as I really don't want to outlay a couple-few hundred bucks for new batteries!

Jonathan